• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
It's the same thing though. sorry to harp on this again, but dune slump (sand sliding down from the vertical to assume a more rounded shape, and thus the house built on top of the dune collapses) occurs regardless of hurricanes and really dosen't require the sea to even be present. I can now see where the homeowners would have no choice but to put up individual retaining walls per unit, as each unit's exposure is different and the distance from the structure would vary. The county would have no real way, or desire, to link each of the individual retaining walls together into a chain that might all give way at the weakest link. A seawall would be the county's responsibility, but individual retaining walls would be the homeowner's. The sea being present adds a dynamic aspect to the scenario that could eventually make the beachfront a constant war of gravity and slumping sands vs the retaining walls. In trying to hold sand in a vertical cliff-like orientation forever, the sand and gravity will eventually win, and the beach will eventually be littered with collapsed retaining walls and houses.

Last edited by a moderator:

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I witnessed seawall construction at Four Mile Villiage last week. My balcony at the Hilton faced that way, so I got a pretty good lesson on what they were doing.

First, I noticed a line of pilings had been driven into the sand. The next day, a backhoe was pulling the pilings out and replacing them with the corregated metal sheeting that is shown in the photos above.

My question is why? Why were the pilings removed? Did they violate some kind of code?

Regardless, everyone above is correct. During the next significant storm surge, the seawalls that survive will have no sand in front of them. The ones that fail will litter the beach, making for a very expensive cleanup.

The fact the county is allowing these homeowners to "do their own thing" is a big mistake.

thumper

Beach Comber
Jun 15, 2005
The fact the county is allowing these homeowners to "do their own thing" is a big mistake.
We are the county. We elected these people to represent us. If We're making a big mistake, We're the ones who have to stop the madness. We need an amendment to the county code that forbids permanent seawalls. We did it last month with sand color, and years back with dog permits and high rises (now that was some community involvement). It can be done, but only if we care enough to act. Start by writing your Commisioner. (I feel as if I am shouting into the wind, but I hope not.)

Is there a lawyer on this forum?

Santiago

Beach Fanatic
May 29, 2005
seagrove beach
I hope we never have another hurricane but if we do, I hope the seawalls are the first things to go. I don't want to see the "protected" houses exposed but do want to see this whole "seawall theory" exposed. If this upsets anyone on here that is a gulf front homeowner then we are even because you have already upset me, so STFU!

SoWalSally

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2005
Walton Sun:

Boating through Eastern Lake past 407 Lakewood Drive, residents may be surprised to see a metal seawall along the lake?s bank.
In the wake of Hurricane Dennis, the Florida Department of Environmental Protection allowed Walton County to issue 60-day temporary seawall permits, allowing homeowners to protect properties in imminent danger of destruction.
On Aug. 24, contractor Branch McClendon applied for a temporary seawall permit for 407 Lakewood Drive for property owner Lee DeBeauchamp. More than 150 temporary permits were processed at the time the application was approved.
?It was issued in error. It was not made clear to staff that is was actually on one of the dune lakes. They implied it was erosion,? said Planning and Development Director Pat Blackshear.
The FDEP has the authority to approve any long-term seawalls, but the county has to write a letter recommending the wall be approved. Under DEP regulations, if a long-term permit is not approved, the temporary structures have to be removed.
?We?re not going to issue a letter of recommendation,? Blackshear said concerning the structure.
?We do review them on a case by case basis and some of them might be able to stay up,? DEP spokesperson Sarah Williams said about permit issuing.
In the event residents don?t comply with seawall regulations, there can be penalties imposed by the county or DEP. Blackshear explained that it is too early to know the outcome of this situation.
?We?re very careful in the permitting process. I don?t know how it slipped by,? Blackshear said.

katie blue

kt loo
Mar 11, 2005
in perpetual motion
Update for Paula:
That fella's new seawall near Camp Creek cottages in Seacrest is already partially down. Maybe not due to wind or water in this case--looks like the sand from the dune settled and pushed the wall down in the middle. Debris is strewn, natch. Only thing those walls are good for: :bang:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Who is this fellow that put up a seawall ON Eastern Lake? It's the front page story on the Walton Sun today....I haven't read it yet.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Sueshore said:
Who is this fellow that put up a seawall ON Eastern Lake? It's the front page story on the Walton Sun today....I haven't read it yet.

Isn't Lee Ann DeBeauchamp, the onwer of the new seawall on Eastern Lake, one of the owners of Blue Buddha Sushi Bar in WaterColor? :dunno: I know she owns a Lake front house at 407 Lakeview Dr., not Lakewood.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Sueshore said:
I believe that was the last name, but a male first name. It said the permit for the seawall had been granted IN ERROR. Still haven't gotten my paws on a copy.

sowalsally said:
...On Aug. 24, contractor Branch McClendon applied for a temporary seawall permit for 407 Lakewood Drive for property owner Lee DeBeauchamp....

The article is posted in SoWalSally's post #34, above.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Photo taken today at Stallworth Lake.

This is known as a curtain seawall, whereby sections of a composite material are driven into the sand about the same depth as can be seen above the sand. They interlock with each other and are anchored by rods drilled back into the sand underneath the house about 50 feet.

This wall cost around $175,000. Around $125,000 worth of sand will be filled and mounded about 2 feet above the top of the wall and then sloped toward the beach at a 2 to 1 slope. Sea Oats will then be planted on the new sand.

This homeowner had already spent around $100,000 since Hurricane Ivan.

DSCN5995.jpg