• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
SHELLY said:
Time is money.
Perhaps, but money is not time, and you certainly cannot buy actual time with money, but let's try to keep this dialog on seawalls, not time. ;-)

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Smiling JOe said:
Perhaps, but money is not time, and you certainly cannot buy actual time with money, but let's try to keep this dialog on seawalls, not time. ;-)

That's exactly what some (not all) buyers of seawalls are trying to accomplish....buying time. "Time" which will enable them to get their homes on the market before the seawalls fail.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
Smiling JOe said:
Read the captions below the photos. It seems to me that the only difference is Man's decision to change things to better fit his life. See my new signature line.

Have we grown too accustomed to wanting everything NOW?

Smiling Joe,

Unless your name is JoAnn (JOe for short) :D , I must assume that you realize that you are part of your observation quoted above. :D I respect that you wouldn't duck your part of the responsibilities.

BTW, do women have anything to do with man's short sightedness? Sorry, I digress. :D

Back to the topic...

Interesting post. Part of the caption in one of your photos stated:

"The beach was washed away to sea-taking taking the famous white sand-leaving sheer cliffs of discolored sand/dirt."

Sound familiar?

Hmmm....deja vu all over again. I made a post in another thread stating exactly that. I stated that the dunes were "restored" at the SOLE expense of the GF property onwer. A detractor stated they thought we (GF owners) were arrogant for thinking that we thought we were actually improving the condition of the beach and dunes by "speeding" up the process.

If one wants to slam me for using all that diesel fuel to truck in all that sand, well that's whole another issue that may be harder to defend. :D But at least I and other GF owners are pumping money into the local economy!! :D

Thanks for post. Also thanks for the bread crumb to help validate at least one of my views regarding "...leaving sheer cliffs of discolored sand/dirtcliffs". Nice to see that mother nature can destroy the beach (as we are accustomed to) all by herself without man's (and woman's) help back in 1975, before the intense beach front development of the last 20 years.

Beautiful day today. Need to go outside.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
SHELLY said:
That's exactly what some (not all) buyers of seawalls are trying to accomplish....buying time. "Time" which will enable them to get their homes on the market before the seawalls fail.

Shelly,

First of all, I believe you that if you left out the "some (not all)" part of your post above, I still would agree to it somewhat.....

If you were to leave that out then you could simply change the rest of your post to read...

"Time" which will enable some of them to get their homes on the market before some of the seawalls fail. ...and from my standpoint, that would be 100% accurate.

BTW I think survival of a retaining wall does not equate to survival of the beach itself if these relentless storms don't let up and if we don't do beach renoursihment.

We're all "buying time", one way or another.

Do you agree?

Thanks!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
BlueMtnBeachVagrant said:
Smiling Joe,

Unless your name is JoAnn (JOe for short) :D , I must assume that you realize that you are part of your observation quoted above. :D I respect that you wouldn't duck your part of the responsibilities.

BTW, do women have anything to do with man's short sightedness? Sorry, I digress. :D

Interesting post. Part of the caption in one of your photos stated:

"The beach was washed away to sea-taking taking the famous white sand-leaving sheer cliffs of discolored sand/dirt."

Sound familiar?

Hmmm....deja vu all over again. I made a post in another thread stating exactly that. I stated that the dunes were "restored" at the SOLE expense of the GF property onwer. A detractor stated they thought we (GF owners) were arrogant for thinking that we thought we were actually improving the condition of the beach and dunes by "speeding" up the process.

If one wants to slam me for using all that diesel fuel to truck in all that sand, well that's whole another issue that may be harder to defend. :D But at least I and other GF owners are pumping money into the local economy!! :D

Thanks for post. Also thanks for the bread crumb to help validate at least one of my views regarding "...leaving sheer cliffs of discolored sand/dirtcliffs". Nice to see that mother nature can destroy the beach (as we are accustomed to) all by herself without man's (and woman's) help back in 1975, before the intense beach front development of the last 20 years.

Beautiful day today. Need to go outside.

Much of the time when I make a statement, I am looking in the mirror and sharing what I am learning. Very few people can say they are not a part of the problem. I certainly am not one of those few.

I guess my post of the photos and copy was to show that the beach recovered, even though it took twenty years after Eloise, then, it was washed away again. The beach and dune system are an ever changing thing. The beaches did not recover from importing much sand and building seawalls. The beaches recovered by letting nature take more of the dunes, building replacement beaches from the dunes. If Man were not involved, the dune system would continue to build, but farther back geographically.

If you want to keep something forever, let it go. If you want to lose it quickly, squeeze it tightly until it can no longer breathe (read "seawall").

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Is this the seawall to which you were referring, BMBV?

P3210069.JPG

P3210066.JPG

P3210063.JPG

There is currently no support on the back side of this wall. The ditch is dug out maybe 8' deep and they tap the pieces of wall into the ground a little bit. They are balanced somewhat by an I beam resting unsecured on the ground. Tie rods have been drilled into the dunes, but where is the framing? Will there be any other than the tie down rods?

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
Smiling JOe said:
Much of the time when I make a statement, I am looking in the mirror and sharing what I am learning. Very few people can say they are not a part of the problem. I certainly am not one of those few.

Great preamble!!

I guess my post of the photos and copy was to show that the beach recovered, even though it took twenty years after Eloise, then, it was washed away again. The beach and dune system are an ever changing thing. The beaches did not recover from importing much sand and building seawalls. The beaches recovered by letting nature take more of the dunes, building replacement beaches from the dunes. If Man were not involved, the dune system would continue to build, but farther back geographically.

IMPORTANT POINT to be made here:
SJ, I'm not coming down on you as at least we're exchanging ideas on a civil level because I see you as level headed, verbose sometimes, but level headed :D . I just heard someone say what about "you"???? My blood pressure actually drops when I respond back to your posts! :D

With that said.. I don't believe I ever implied that seawalls assist in the recovery ("The beaches did not recover from importing much sand and building seawalls.")

A retaining wall is pretty much a last ditch effort to protect one's property from imminent collapse. I acknowledge that. I also acknowledge that retaining walls will not assist in the recovery of a beach system.

If you want to keep something forever, let it go. If you want to lose it quickly, squeeze it tightly until it can no longer breathe (read "seawall").
Tried that with my wife. She's still around. :lol:

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
1) sj, love the avatar but the eye is really creeping me out

2) bmbv, are you saying you tried to suffocate your wife?

3) the 'take' processing is sooooo slow, it will probably be next year before they are approved (or dis-approved), and turtle season approaches quickly (with no digging allowed), so the seawalls will probably be allowed to stay in the ground, even if they are at first glance dis-allowed - those that just went ahead and did it without regard to the rules will, more than likely, get away with it

have fun, be careful, eat fish

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
AB....:funn: thanks for #2 above! I wondered the same thing. Is it just me, or does it seem BMBV protests too much?