• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
BlueMtnBeachVagrant said:
Kurt and SJ....I'm still trying to figure an easy way to snip part of a post and make it a quote without going through some of the manual keystroking... is there an easier way? The "long" way is apparent by typing the "QUOTE.." header and trailer.

Thanks
I use the old manual way and know of no shortcut other than copy and paste. For multiple quotes, type the intro and trailer, copy and paste, then fill in between.:D

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
Smiling JOe said:
P3210127.JPG

I don't think this seawall will work without the neighbors continuing it down the beach.

SJ, SJ, SJ... I thought you were a voice of reason. Are you going to make me defend my other neighbor down the beach for trying to protect their property?

What makes you think this won't work???

This is exactly what I'm talking about !!!!!

What happened to you???

You change from a smiling frog to a dog and now something else and all your sense of reasoning flies out the window.

I GIVE UP !!!!!

:funn:

P.s. Thanks SJ for the gift of laughter! I (we) needed it.

By the way, the debris in your picture is from a house that use to have a wood retaining wall. That wall completely disappeared after Dennis (had survived Ivan though as did a few others that failed after Dennis - go figure). Ivan was stronger in terms of wind velocity than Dennis, but Dennis caused more erosion and resulting stress on inferior walls.

Thanks again for the :) !!!

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
pgurney said:
BMBV, No I'm not from GaTech...some other school.
I'll give you a pass on this one. :D

Regarding my not being a fan of seawalls: I work in the environmental sector and I'm not a fan of a lot of the things we humans do to the earth. :bang:
Completely understood and undeniable.

Regarding your offer of the video during Dennis: Thanks, I'd like to see it out of general interest, but those were the conditions during Dennis and probably don't reflect the conditions for which a seawall should be designed for. Others may like to see it as well...perhaps there is a place it could be hosted on-line?
There are a couple of small issues... it was my neighbor who taped it. I simply edited it (a lot) and saved it as a file. It is his video, not mine, but I will discuss this with him. Shouldn't be a problem.
The second problem is that it may possibly give away my top secret identity. I'm just afraid there's a small possibility that John R and a couple of his buddies may hire a sniper. (JUST KIDDING, John R.!!)

Let me just simply re-edit it down to the point where you see key slices such as typical wave speed, typical wave reflection off the bluff, typical walkover collapse, etc. If it's made smaller, I'll possibly will be able to email it as an attachment and share it with everyone. I'll work on it.

Regarding designing a wall to handle just a "Dennis", no question a wall must be able to handle something much more stronger than Dennis. I fully agree with your statement.

My biggest hope right now is that we get a several year reprieve from Mother Nature, this is truly a mess.

This goes without saying, even though all of us have said it one way or another (or at least wished it).

I'll get back with you on the "edited edited" video.

Thanks!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
If the video is digital, you can upload it to www.youtube.com and post a link to it. Videos are limited to 10 min per video on that site. ;-)

The one thing that makes a huge difference in your video from BMB is that the storms were 90+ miles away, yet we still had major damage. If the storms were closer, you could and should expect larger and faster waves.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Read the captions below the photos. It seems to me that the only difference is Man's decision to change things to better fit his life. See my new signature line.

Have we grown too accustomed to wanting everything NOW?

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Smiling JOe said:
Read the captions below the photos. It seems to me that the only difference is Man's decision to change things to better fit his life. See my new signature line.

Have we grown too accustomed to wanting everything NOW?

Time is money.