• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
THE FLORIDA CONSTITUTION:
SECTION 11. Sovereignty lands.?The title to lands under navigable waters, within the boundaries of the state, which have not been alienated, including beaches below mean high water lines, is held by the state, by virtue of its sovereignty, in trust for all the people. Sale of such lands may be authorized by law, but only when in the public interest. Private use of portions of such lands may be authorized by law, but only when not contrary to the public interest.

I wonder if the County has considered hiring a good constitutional lawyer and getting an intrepretation of this Section of the Florida Constitution ...

Part of the current issue is determining where the mean high water lines are, but IMO don't need a lawyer to interpret the rest!

PeterFrohwein

Beach Lover
Aug 29, 2007
Photo taken today at Stallworth Lake.

This is known as a curtain seawall, whereby sections of a composite material are driven into the sand about the same depth as can be seen above the sand. They interlock with each other and are anchored by rods drilled back into the sand underneath the house about 50 feet.

This wall cost around $175,000. Around $125,000 worth of sand will be filled and mounded about 2 feet above the top of the wall and then sloped toward the beach at a 2 to 1 slope. Sea Oats will then be planted on the new sand.

This homeowner had already spent around $100,000 since Hurricane Ivan.

DSCN5995.jpg

Wow.... the guys building this do not understand the power of water?
A wave/wall of water 7 feet high can have force up to 7500 psi.
A wave/wall of water 11 feet high can have force up to 29,530 psi.
With these compression forces it would take a concrete wall 1 to 3 FEET thick
of (10,000psi concrete) to maybe have any chance at being in place after
a major hurricane.........they think this wood and steel wall has a
chance?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I thought there was one on Pelican Circle which was ordered to come down last year. It is still standing.

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
chance?

A very strong "chance" of taking the neighbors lot out....

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
A very strong "chance" of taking the neighbors lot out....

Well, I have a feeling once that happens there will be a lot of lawyers and coastal engineers making money quantifying those damages.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
They can fight Mother Nature all they want, but IMO my grandkids will have a VERY clear view of the ocean from 30A as the houses built too close keep getting eaten away.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
chance?
Peter, just curious...what motivated you to comment on and resurrect the seawalls thread over a year later? And, BTW, that wall is a high tech carbon fiber reinforced laminated fiberglass, not steel. I'm sure you wanted to know. :D

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
Well, I have a feeling once that happens there will be a lot of lawyers and coastal engineers making money quantifying those damages.
I doubt if anyone would prevail..."act of God" and all.

BTW, if most here on SoWal get their way, God and/or nature will take of the seawalls (to the detriment of many good people) from many of the posters in this thread. I'm not directing this comment at you, BeachSiO2.

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
I doubt if anyone would prevail..."act of God" and all.

BTW, if most here on SoWal get their way, God and/or nature will take of the seawalls (to the detriment of many good people) from many of the posters in this thread. I'm not directing this comment at you, BeachSiO2.

I am not sure folks are trying to get their way. They are just pointing out the obvious and confused why people continue to fight a battle they unfortunately can not win.
I can surely understand the fear that the beachfront homeowner must feel regarding this issue but it does not justify the illegal placement of many of these walls.