• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
Re: "...(read "coastal expert")..." They've all moved away from what I hear. :D
But now that I think about it, we have a bunch right here on SoWal.;-)

I basically agree with your premise above. And I'm glad you pointed out the idea of establishing VALID "reference" points (similar topography and all). That was the point of my 20 feet of "additional erosion" comment.

There's at least one coastal engineering firm in Destin, and others will probably pop up out of the woodwork if they were needed. ;-).

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
..... I doubt the seawalls would hold up to a major Hurricane, and I think it is highly likely that we will find pieces of carbon or whatever they are made of, scattered down the beach and in the shallow water. It might look similar to WWII barricades along the beach, and if you think it was costly installing them, wait until you have to get a crane on a barge to pull them out of the water.
I think we've been through this a time or two about the different qualities of seawalls that were constructed.

What I can assure you of is this:

If you can find your "pieces of carbon" on the beach from "our" wall after a hurricane, then demolished seawalls along the coast will be the LEAST of Walton County's problems.

And like I insinuated, I believe most here will be pleased. At least they can say, "I told you so." Also, like the pilot on the turtle video jokingly(?) said, the new artificial reefs will be a boon to the fishing industry.:roll:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
BMBV, I think we all know that if we are hit with a major hurricane, there will be many structural problems around here. Not arguing that point.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I love that you think that all of Walton County will be in severe trouble if there is a storm big enough to take our your seawall. :roll:

Tropical Storms have enough oomph to take out walkovers and scatter seawalls along the beach with their waves ............... yet the effects even a block inland aren't enough to make me change my dinner plans.

In fact I'm usually out taking pics of the water boiling and scouring away the man-made structures from high/stable ground. ;-)

PeterFrohwein

Beach Lover
Aug 29, 2007
Peter, just curious...what motivated you to comment on and resurrect the seawalls thread over a year later? And, BTW, that wall is a high tech carbon fiber reinforced laminated fiberglass, not steel. I'm sure you wanted to know. :D

I guess it is just the same thing that I do when a tourist in Seaside walks from behind a large truck to cross the road 3 feet from the front bumper of my
3000 lb car going 20 mph. I try to explane to them that the laws of Physics also apply here at the beach. 180lb person vs 3000 lb car ........huuuuum which will have more damage? ??? They can do it but it REALLY is not a GOOD idea!

Same thing applys to seawalls that have no chance against major hurricanes.

Last edited: