• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I seem to recall that some years ago an old DC-3/C-47 used to fly over the Seagrove area very low spraying something. Frankly, I'd welcome aerial spraying. But I'm not one of those 'save the planet wackos either'. I'd also like to have a 50# bag of Heptachlor to kill ants with.

Those planes were State planes that were spraying for "dog flys". Was not a program of the SWCMCD. The program was discontinued by the state. Dog Flys hurt when they bite, but they do not carry disease.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Those planes were State planes that were spraying for "dog flys". Was not a program of the SWCMCD. The program was discontinued by the state. Dog Flys hurt when they bite, but they do not carry disease.

We assumed it was a Bay County thing to poison people at an outdoor event. ;)

We can usually hear the mosquito truck when it is in the neighborhood, and shut the street side windows of the house.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
We assumed it was a Bay County thing to poison people at an outdoor event. ;)

We can usually hear the mosquito truck when it is in the neighborhood, and shut the street side windows of the house.

Beach Mosquito does aerial spraying. They must notify the public when they spray. They have a local TV station that makes "public notice" very easy.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Beach Mosquito does aerial spraying. They must notify the public when they spray. They have a local TV station that makes "public notice" very easy.

I doubt the hundreds if tourists out there with us were tuning into a TV station to listen for aerial spray warnings. ;)

I doubt the hundreds if tourists out there with us were tuning into a TV station to listen for aerial spray warnings. ;)
Good point, Jdarg. We lived in Gainesville for three years while in grad school. We hated when those trucks showed up. We felt violated.

Q: How does one get the message out to everyone about boil water advisories and mosquito sprayings?
A: Portable signs on the main roads (definition of main road -- I'm uncertain?) that warns everyone about boil water advisories and mosquito spraying advisories. We have a right to be informed about immediate health risks.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
I do like my oak trees, but the mosquitos that hang around the swamp I call my back yard will carry you off. We have so many citronella candles around the front door that we look like the Addams Family.

Bring it on. Just let me know so my family and I are not outside.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach

That's why we are experimenting with phone calls to both landlines and cell phones.

We explored sending text messages to cell phone that are in a zone but it seemed to be fraught with issues as a person could just be on HWy 98 driving thru.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I do like my oak trees, but the mosquitos that hang around the swamp I call my back yard will carry you off. We have so many citronella candles around the front door that we look like the Addams Family.

Bring it on. Just let me know so my family and I are not outside.

Call the Mosquito Office ( 267-2112) and ask them to do an on site survey to see if there are things you can do to help eliminate the main source in your area / standing water & and container breeders.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Has there been an increase in mosquitoes or West Nile?

I worry about the effects of the trucks, and I really worry about aerial spraying.

Why not bats or more natural solutions?