• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
Bobby, I'm not concerned by folks just trying to help out the community. I am concerned about a group whose stated goals go against the private ownership and private use of legally owned property. The article in question with those statements was not an opinion or editorial piece. The way I read it, it was an article written by a reporter announcing your meeting and the goals of your organization. If the reporter is incorrect in the statements in the article, I guess you'll have to get that corrected.

Please explain what you are getting at here. I am not picking up on that being Surfriders Goal. Have you been to the site???? Looking over the Mission and Principles I am not getting that.

pixel.gif
MISSION & PRINCIPLES
pixel.gif
Mission Statement

The Surfrider Foundation is a non-profit environmental organization dedicated to the protection and enjoyment of the world's oceans, waves and beaches for all people, through conservation, activism, research and education.

Surfrider Foundation Principles
Represented by over 50,000 members and 60 local chapters in the U.S., the Surfrider Foundation also has affiliations in Australia, Japan, France, and Brazil. The Surfrider Foundation has adopted the following principles to guide and govern the activities of the organization .
1. SURFRIDER recognizes the biodiversity and ecological integrity of the planet's coasts are necessary and irreplaceable. SURFRIDER is committed to preserving natural living and non-living diversity and ecological integrity of the coastal environment.
2. SURFRIDER promotes the right of low-impact, free and open access to the world's waves and beaches for all people. SURFRIDER acts to preserve this right of access.
3. SURFRIDER is dedicated to enhancing wave-riding opportunities in ways which will not adversely impact nearshore ecosystems.
4. SURFRIDER believes environmental education is essential to the future health and well- being of the planet. SURFRIDER seeks to develop and utilize educational materials that are informative, factual, proactive, synergistic and fun.
5. SURFRIDER strives to be accurate and nonpartisan in its communications with its members and the general public. In addition, SURFRIDER will express the unique values inherent in wave-riding — individualism, camaraderie, non materialism, and an appreciation for human kind's historic relations with the Ocean.
6. SURFRIDER is a grassroots organization, effective through the participation of its members. SURFRIDER activities emphasize the value of an involved membership.
7. SURFRIDER encourages all commercial enterprises to adopt the Ceres Principles . Their determination to do so will favorably influence SURFRIDER's willingness to provide support. SURFRIDER will not permit sponsors to divert the Foundation from its mission or projects undertaken. 8. SURFRIDER does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sex, or national origin for any reason. SURFRIDER promotes the healthy enjoyment of the coastal environment for all people. 9. SURFRIDER and its representatives, affiliations and chapters agree to abide by these principles and all rules and regulations governing non-profit organizations.
pixel.gif
pixel.gif
pixel.gif
pixel.gif

Last edited:

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
bobby, can you please explain surfrider's position again? :bang:

:lolabove:
Just trying to avoid this:
A sign misidentifies the area in front of the Vizcaya gated community in Dune Allen Beach as private property. Homeowners of the community encroached as much as 44 feet onto county property to install a beach armament last year. (Gabriel Tynes/The Sun)

Last edited:

BMBWalker

Beach Lover
Nov 1, 2006
So if the property owners who erected the seawalls and geotubes on public property do not know where their property ends, how is the general public to know?

SJ...what makes you think they didn't know where their property lines were? Isn't that what we have surveryors for? I saw surveyors staking out the private property boundaries all up and down BMB.

Didn't you see the surveyor flags up on the beach when you walked it?

I don't think any Gulf front owner can state they did not know where their boundaries were. All they had to do was get a surveyor to stake it out.

BMBWalker

Beach Lover
Nov 1, 2006
Please explain what you are getting at here. I am not picking up on that being Surfriders Goal. Have you been to the site???? Looking over the Mission and Principles I am not getting that.

pixel.gif
MISSION & PRINCIPLES
pixel.gif
Mission Statement

The Surfrider Foundation is a non-profit environmental organization dedicated to the protection and enjoyment of the world's oceans, waves and beaches for all people, through conservation, activism, research and education.

Surfrider Foundation Principles
Represented by over 50,000 members and 60 local chapters in the U.S., the Surfrider Foundation also has affiliations in Australia, Japan, France, and Brazil. The Surfrider Foundation has adopted the following principles to guide and govern the activities of the organization .
1. SURFRIDER recognizes the biodiversity and ecological integrity of the planet's coasts are necessary and irreplaceable. SURFRIDER is committed to preserving natural living and non-living diversity and ecological integrity of the coastal environment.
2. SURFRIDER promotes the right of low-impact, free and open access to the world's waves and beaches for all people. SURFRIDER acts to preserve this right of access.
3. SURFRIDER is dedicated to enhancing wave-riding opportunities in ways which will not adversely impact nearshore ecosystems.
4. SURFRIDER believes environmental education is essential to the future health and well- being of the planet. SURFRIDER seeks to develop and utilize educational materials that are informative, factual, proactive, synergistic and fun.
5. SURFRIDER strives to be accurate and nonpartisan in its communications with its members and the general public. In addition, SURFRIDER will express the unique values inherent in wave-riding ? individualism, camaraderie, non materialism, and an appreciation for human kind's historic relations with the Ocean.
6. SURFRIDER is a grassroots organization, effective through the participation of its members. SURFRIDER activities emphasize the value of an involved membership.
7. SURFRIDER encourages all commercial enterprises to adopt the Ceres Principles . Their determination to do so will favorably influence SURFRIDER's willingness to provide support. SURFRIDER will not permit sponsors to divert the Foundation from its mission or projects undertaken. 8. SURFRIDER does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sex, or national origin for any reason. SURFRIDER promotes the healthy enjoyment of the coastal environment for all people. 9. SURFRIDER and its representatives, affiliations and chapters agree to abide by these principles and all rules and regulations governing non-profit organizations.
pixel.gif
pixel.gif
pixel.gif
pixel.gif

Bobby...what does the bolded sentence in item 2 mean? Are you talking about public property or private property?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
SJ...what makes you think they didn't know where their property lines were? Isn't that what we have surveryors for? I saw surveyors staking out the private property boundaries all up and down BMB.

Didn't you see the surveyor flags up on the beach when you walked it?

I don't think any Gulf front owner can state they did not know where their boundaries were. All they had to do was get a surveyor to stake it out.

I don't think that the 40+ owners who encroached onto public property had surveys completed prior to the installation of the seawalls and geotubes. That is what I was yelling about. I know that the group of five homeowners on Montgomery St are claiming that they didn't know.

By the way, I am against the gov't taking private property, as they did in the case of some property which I own. (I still own it, but there is now a 60' wide right of way with a paved road taking up 1/3 of it now. :bang:

Back to my question, how is a beachgoer to know where he can stop to rest on the beach, since only some of the beachfront owners acutally own to the mean high water mark?

bmbwalker said:
The above statement was in the SoWalSally post...works to prevent beach privatization sounds like someone trying to control the use of either the beach itself or the property rights of a beach property owner to me.
Sounds like you are getting creative with the definition for the word, "prevent." Maybe you should go look up the word in the dictionary prior to assuming up an incorrect definition. The article doesn't state, "works to sieze privately owned beachfront property to convert it to public property." The nature of the definition looks forward, not reversing something which has already happened. ;-)

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Will someone please give bmbwalker a chill pill before his head pops off his shoulders? :dunno: