• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
Bobby...what does the bolded sentence in item 2 mean? Are you talking about public property or private property?

I am talking about public property in general. If you want to know what the bolded sentence means please read it. Let me make this very simple BMB. Surfrider tries to protect the very thing you love to do at BMB every day. If you read something into that I am sorry. I suggest if you would do a little research you would discover this is a very straight forward group trying save one of our greatest resources. It may be perfect in your eyes at BMB but our issues are much greater then one spot. I do not want to bicker with you over a group that is trying to do a volunteer service. If you have other issues with me please disclose. I am baffled.:dunno:

BMBWalker

Beach Lover
Nov 1, 2006
I don't think that the 40+ owners who encroached onto public property had surveys completed prior to the installation of the seawalls and geotubes. That is what I was yelling about. I know that the group of five homeowners on Montgomery St are claiming that they didn't know.

By the way, I am against the gov't taking private property, as they did in the case of some property which I own. (I still own it, but there is now a 60' wide right of way with a paved road taking up 1/3 of it now. :bang:

Back to my question, how is a beachgoer to know where he can stop to rest on the beach, since only some of the beachfront owners acutally own to the mean high water mark?

Sounds like you are getting creative with the definition for the word, "prevent." Maybe you should go look up the word in the dictionary prior to assuming up an incorrect definition. The article doesn't state, "works to sieze privately owned beachfront property to convert it to public property." The nature of the definition looks forward, not reversing something which has already happened. ;-)

SJ...how could five families who have owned their property for 20 to 30 years not know where their property boundaries are? I believe their position was that the county had not taken care of the dunes and allowed the erosion created by Ivan to go unattended; therefore, when Dennis came through and took 20 feet more of the dunes, their private property was in jeporady of destruction. I don't know how this will be resolved, but it will be.

I'm sorry to hear you lost property to the government. How did this happen?

Back to your question, I don't have an answer at this point in time. Since these issues seem to be coming to a head, I'm sure they will be resolved legally and we'll go from there. I don't understand your use of the word "some" in this paragraph. Don't all beachfront private property owners own to the mean high water mark?

Creative use of "prevent"? Make you own selection:

1 archaic a : to be in readiness for (as an occasion) b : to meet or satisfy in advance c : to act ahead of d : to go or arrive before
2 : to deprive of power or hope of acting or succeeding
3 : to keep from happening or existing <steps to prevent war>
4 : to hold or keep back : [SIZE=-1]HINDER[/SIZE], [SIZE=-1]STOP[/SIZE] -- often used with from

Appears my etymological use of the word was correct. Your suggestion that I consult a dictionary could be seen to be condescending and patronizing. Did you mean for it to be interpreted that way?

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
SJ...how could five families who have owned their property for 20 to 30 years not know where their property boundaries are? I believe their position was that the county had not taken care of the dunes and allowed the erosion created by Ivan to go unattended; therefore, when Dennis came through and took 20 feet more of the dunes, their private property was in jeporady of destruction. I don't know how this will be resolved, but it will be.

I'm sorry to hear you lost property to the government. How did this happen?

Back to your question, I don't have an answer at this point in time. Since these issues seem to be coming to a head, I'm sure they will be resolved legally and we'll go from there. I don't understand your use of the word "some" in this paragraph. Don't all beachfront private property owners own to the mean high water mark?

Creative use of "prevent"? Make you own selection:

1 archaic a : to be in readiness for (as an occasion) b : to meet or satisfy in advance c : to act ahead of d : to go or arrive before
2 : to deprive of power or hope of acting or succeeding
3 : to keep from happening or existing <steps to prevent war>
4 : to hold or keep back : [SIZE=-1]HINDER[/SIZE], [SIZE=-1]STOP[/SIZE] -- often used with from

Appears my etymological use of the word was correct. Your suggestion that I consult a dictionary could be seen to be condescending and patronizing. Did you mean for it to be interpreted that way?

...and the words "hinder" and "stop" do not mean change that which already exists. The prefix of the word, "pre," indicates Earlier; before; prior to, as in, prevent - stop in advance. :bang:

I think you are making a big issue out of a non-issue.

To answer your question about the word, "some," I mean it exactly like 99.9% of the population proabably understand it -- not all, but a partial of the total. No, not all Beach-front property owners own to the mean high water mark. Only some do. Look no further than the group of five homeowners on Montgomery St. ;-)

Last edited:

BMBWalker

Beach Lover
Nov 1, 2006
I am talking about public property in general. If you want to know what the bolded sentence means please read it. Let me make this very simple BMB. Surfrider tries to protect the very thing you love to do at BMB every day. If you read something into that I am sorry. I suggest if you would do a little research you would discover this is a very straight forward group trying save one of our greatest resources. It may be perfect in your eyes at BMB but our issues are much greater then one spot. I do not want to bicker with you over a group that is trying to do a volunteer service. If you have other issues with me please disclose. I am baffled.:dunno:

Bobby..I have no issues with you; my issue is the stated goals of your organization. I can seperate the two.

You say you are talking about "public property in general". Your organization does not say that. See below:

2. SURFRIDER promotes the right of low-impact, free and open access to the world's waves and beaches for all people. SURFRIDER acts to preserve this right of access.

Bobby, words have meaning!

BTW, what is your position on the Redfish Village high-impact usage of the beach at 260 Blue Mountain Road? Does your organization support the proposed use by Redfish Village? Do you personally support it?

I don't.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Bobby..I have no issues with you; my issue is the stated goals of your organization. I can seperate the two.

You say you are talking about "public property in general". Your organization does not say that. See below:

2. SURFRIDER promotes the right of low-impact, free and open access to the world's waves and beaches for all people. SURFRIDER acts to preserve this right of access.

Bobby, words have meaning!

BTW, what is your position on the Redfish Village high-impact usage of the beach at 260 Blue Mountain Road? Does your organization support the proposed use by Redfish Village? Do you personally support it?

I don't.

I haven't researched Surfrider too much, but "open access" does not mean the ability to tresspass on private property owners land to enter the beach. Access, refers to a point of entry. Again, you are being rather stubborn and come off rather hard headed.

BMBWalker

Beach Lover
Nov 1, 2006
...and the words "hinder" and "stop" do not mean change that which already exists. The prefix of the word, "pre," indicates Earlier; before; prior to, as in, prevent - stop in advance. :bang:

I think you are making a big issue out of a non-issue.

To answer your question about the word, "some," I mean it exactly like 99.9% of the population proabably understand it -- not all, but a partial of the total. No, not all Beach-front property owners own to the mean high water mark. Only some do. Look no further than the group of five homeowners on Montgomery St. ;-)

Please give me a specific example. The Montgomery St. folks do not fit your position.

BMBWalker

Beach Lover
Nov 1, 2006
I haven't researched Surfrider too much, but "open access" does not mean the ability to tresspass on private property owners land to enter the beach. Access, refers to a point of entry. Again, you are being rather stubborn and come off rather hard headed.

I've always heard that when you have to call people names in a discussion, you have lost the discussion.