• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BMBWalker

Beach Lover
Nov 1, 2006
Not sure about the surfers but The Surfrider Foundation is probably aware. We do beach cleanups and water testing. Our area water testing is good but beach cleanups are horrible. Trash is everywhere. If you walk the beach everyday you should see this. We have beautiful beaches comparitively speaking. Lets not compare and demand the best! I have been walking these beaches since I was a little boy and have seen things on the beaches I never dreamed of.

Bobby J...We must be walking different beaches!

My BMB walk today was about 4-5 miles; that's about what I do almost on a daily basis. I saw no trash, debris, or rubbish on the beach. The beach is very clean and always has been this time of year. I have been walking this beach probably longer than you have and the beach is much cleaner today than in the distant past. If the beach has trash everywhere, as you say, please give me a location where I can go and clean it up. I used to carry a garbage bag with me on my walks to pick up trash but I no longer find I have to do this.

Please give me the location of the trash you speak of. I think the county does a good job picking up trash everyday, don't you?

How often do you walk BMB?

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
Bobbie J...the conclusion came very easily. Please read below:

The Surfrider Foundation also believes in keeping the beaches open to everyone, and works to prevent beach privatization.

The above statement was in the SoWalSally post...works to prevent beach privatization sounds like someone trying to control the use of either the beach itself or the property rights of a beach property owner to me.

Since you are a board member of this organization, is this statement an element of your articles of incorporation? What type of foundation is this: 501 c(3), 501 c(6) or other? In which state is this not-for-profit organization incorporated?

Also, what is the IRS identification number of this not-for-profit organization?

We try to protect beaches so they remain open to the public and people do not try to turn them into private beaches. You have this entirely backwards. Again you are reading something that is not there. It is a 501 c(3), incorporated out of CA. Do not have the IRS number with me at this time. It is at my office. If you really need it feel free to call in am and I will gladly give it to you (850-865-7798).

In nearly every state, some portion of the beach is public land, which means that all members of the public have the right to use that portion of the beach. Because much of the land between where people can park and where they can enjoy the beach is privately owned, their ability to enjoy beaches often depends on the quality and availability of access between roads and parking lots and the beach. It is simply not equitable for only some people to have access to the ocean and beaches, which are public resources.

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
Bobby J...We must be walking different beaches!

My BMB walk today was about 4-5 miles; that's about what I do almost on a daily basis. I saw no trash, debris, or rubbish on the beach. The beach is very clean and always has been this time of year. I have been walking this beach probably longer than you have and the beach is much cleaner today than in the distant past. If the beach has trash everywhere, as you say, please give me a location where I can go and clean it up. I used to carry a garbage bag with me on my walks to pick up trash but I no longer find I have to do this.

Please give me the location of the trash you speak of. I think the county does a good job picking up trash everyday, don't you?

How often do you walk BMB?

I have not walked BMB in about 3 weeks due to knee injury. I surf BMB often. The last time I surfed BMB before a trip to California there was a great deal of construction debris in the water 10/18/2006. Please understand I feel our beaches are some of the best I have ever seen in the world! With that said they are nothing like when I was a kid. Our territory covers from PC to Pensacola so it is hard for me to send you to one spot. BMB is one of the better spots as far as trash goes. If you would like to take a bag to the Crab trap in Destin or Gratyon beach after the next big weekend we would all appreciate it. I guess what puzzles me most is why you are bothered by folks just trying to help out the community.:dunno:
Another needed place would be the north, west side of 331 bridge. You see it is a big territory so we could really use your help!

Last edited:

BMBWalker

Beach Lover
Nov 1, 2006
We try to protect beaches so they remain open to the public and people do not try to turn them into private beaches. You have this entirely backwards. Again you are reading something that is not there. It is a 501 c(3), incorporated out of CA. Do not have the IRS number with me at this time. It is at my office. If you really need it feel free to call in am and I will gladly give it to you (850-865-7798).

In nearly every state, some portion of the beach is public land, which means that all members of the public have the right to use that portion of the beach. Because much of the land between where people can park and where they can enjoy the beach is privately owned, their ability to enjoy beaches often depends on the quality and availability of access between roads and parking lots and the beach. It is simply not equitable for only some people to have access to the ocean and beaches, which are public resources.

Sorry Bobby, but I don't understand the first sentence in this post.

Please send the IRS identification number through this thread; thanks.

Does the last paragraph have anything to do with BMB, or are you talking state and/or nationwide?

BMBWalker

Beach Lover
Nov 1, 2006
I have not walked BMB in about 3 weeks due to knee injury. I surf BMB often. The last time I surfed BMB before a trip to California there was a great deal of construction debris in the water 10/18/2006. Please understand I feel our beaches are some of the best I have ever seen in the world! With that said they are nothing like when I was a kid. Our territory covers from PC to Pensacola so it is hard for me to send you to one spot. BMB is one of the better spots as far as trash goes. If you would like to take a bag to the Crab trap in Destin or Gratyon beach after the next big weekend we would all appreciate it. I guess what puzzles me most is why you are bothered by folks just trying to help out the community.:dunno:
Another needed place would be the north, west side of 331 bridge. You see it is a big territory so we could really use your help!

Bobby, I'm not concerned by folks just trying to help out the community. I am concerned about a group whose stated goals go against the private ownership and private use of legally owned property. The article in question with those statements was not an opinion or editorial piece. The way I read it, it was an article written by a reporter announcing your meeting and the goals of your organization. If the reporter is incorrect in the statements in the article, I guess you'll have to get that corrected.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Bobby, I'm not concerned by folks just trying to help out the community. I am concerned about a group whose stated goals go against the private ownership and private use of legally owned property. The article in question with those statements was not an opinion or editorial piece. The way I read it, it was an article written by a reporter announcing your meeting and the goals of your organization. If the reporter is incorrect in the statements in the article, I guess you'll have to get that corrected.
So if the property owners who erected the seawalls and geotubes on public property do not know where their property ends, how is the general public to know?

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
Sorry Bobby, but I don't understand the first sentence in this post.

Please send the IRS identification number through this thread; thanks.

Does the last paragraph have anything to do with BMB, or are you talking state and/or nationwide?

Nationwide. If you do not understand the first paragraph read the second one. Newspapers mis quote all the time. I have been so misquoted over the years it amazes me someone has not tried to kill me. If you go to the web site as I have stated the mission statemnet is clearly spelled out. I am not concerned about a possible mis print from the paper. Not to mention all we are trying to do is "protect" beach access. If that means working to prevent the "privatization" of public beach property so be it. It is not someone trying to control someone elses rights but someone trying to prevent rights being taken from them.