• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Susan Horn

Beach Fanatic
This "Vacation Mindset" I recognize, as I see it everyday, but I do not understand why adults leave common sense,total regard for their child's safety and respect for the safety of others at home.

I'd like to hear if others on SoWal throw caution to the wind when they go on vacation. I know when I go I try to be more cautious then at home. New places, new streets, lots of people automatically add up to an accident waiting to happen. That doesn't stop the fun.......all it takes is a little common sense and for parents/adults to be role models while teaching their kids and other children who may be vacationing with them.

Maybe a bumper sticker would help...... instead of using it on cars, just slap it on everyone's back as you pass them, You know like the sticky that says "Kick Me."

Sorry :blush: I just hate to see children of any age at the edge of danger.

Gadzooks, when the boys were little, I was dven more on alert than at home. Vacations were not restful for me, far from it, when these fearless boys were little!

Maybe these parents need a grownups only vacation so they can have that carefree time, and have their brains in full gear for the times when the whole family vacations together. We would leave the boys with friends or relatives (God bless them ALL forever) for a long weekend every so often, just to go somewhere and be able to sleep late and not be responsible for the kids for a couple of days. Worked wonders.

So what would the person stickers say? Maybe Kurt will hold a contest.

Valerie L

Beach Lover
Jan 31, 2007
Seacrest Beach
I just want to know who is traveling faster than 23mph on 30A? Since snowbird season and straight into spring break, I am always behind a line of someone going 'as slow as I want to go so I can see it all' speed.

It all does boil down to self responsibility on all accounts, the biker, the walker, the driver. And as organicmama said, it can be done with us all working together. It's been proven in other cities.

I was also so glad to hear this boy was not killed. Prayers do work!

Tripinbrums

Beach Comber
May 21, 2009
Always worry about the kids on bikes!!

We have been coming to 30A for 20 years. I have always worried about the small children that ride bikes on 30a. Even before I had children I thought it was dangerous the way people are pulling out of condos. It amazes me that people will let a 3 or 4 yr old ride several yards ahead or behind them with cars whizzing right beside them. Now that I have children, I know how easily they can swerve or fall. My heart goes out to the family and the driver.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
Three or four days ago, I saw another teenaged boy dart across 30A on a bike at Tom Thumb. He shot narrowly between oncoming traffic going both ways.

BUT

Just in front of me was a sheriff's deputy. He hit the lights and siren and then pulled over to give the somewhat stunned kid a few words.

DuneAHH

Beach Fanatic
Three or four days ago, I saw another teenaged boy dart across 30A on a bike at Tom Thumb. He shot narrowly between oncoming traffic going both ways.

BUT

Just in front of me was a sheriff's deputy. He hit the lights and siren and then pulled over to give the somewhat stunned kid a few words.

Glad to hear the deputy was on hand. Hopefully that's one kid saved.

BUT

:scratch: Did he flip to page 37 of the Right Act? I am very familiar with that section :blush:.
:D