Another way to educate tourists (though it's not only tourists who don't follow safety rules), is to put friendly, informative notices in rental units. I have information about the beach flag system and turtle/beach care in frames in our rental cottages for guests to read (the bathroom is a great place to ensure that people read this stuff - also, putting it in bathrooms kids use is helpful, too, because they can remind their parents).
So, if we were to design a simple and effective bike/road safety notice for rentals, what would it say? Maybe there's a brochure already out there somewhere that we could frame? I think guests appreciate this kind of reminder. Even if everyone doesn't follow the guidelines, at least a few more will. It would be nice if someone could pull together an "artsy" "beachy" sign so that it looks friendly rather than stern.
We want you to have a happy, relaxing and safe vacation. So, here's a friendly reminder of general safety rules:
1. Be careful when crossing the street and remind your children to look both ways as well, whether walking or on a bike.
2. Wear helmets when biking. Helmets are required for children 16 and under.
3. When at a crosswalk with lights, follow the rules (e.g., don't walk across the street when the light is red).
4. Drive cautiously because you may not be familiar with the roads. You need to be alert because pedestrians, bicyclists, and people driving golf carts may not always follow the safety rules.
5. Follow the beach safety rules.
6. Watch your children at the pool at all times, and don't let them wander off out of sight while on vacation (especially if there's a pool nearby). Keep the pool gate closed at all times.
7. Be aware of fire safety, especially when using the grill.
We wish you a happy and safe vacation.