• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
Here you go:

Florida Proposition #2 PDF Print E-mail
Written by ACLU - Florida
Saturday, 27 September 2008 01:36

There are only four and a half weeks until the polls close in Florida, and our work to defeat proposed Amendment 2 is in full swing. If Amendment 2 passes, it would dramatically impact unmarried straight couples, including many seniors, who represent a significant portion of the 360,000 cohabitating couples in Florida. Without domestic partnership registries, partners who have not gone through a more complex and costly process of executing additional legal documents are, in the eyes of the law, strangers to each other. The impact on seniors is particularly significant given the crucial healthcare and other decisions that one partner may be making for the other partner in the later years of life.

One very important element of our campaign to defeat Amendment 2 in Florida is the collection of stories from Floridians. We need to put a name and face to our campaign whenever possible. In particular, we invite those who have enrolled on a local domestic partnership registry, especially seniors, to write to us about your story.

Many seniors who chose not to remarry in order to avoid the loss of social security and pensions from a previous marriage have enrolled on a local domestic partnership registry. Currently the following Florida cities and counties have domestic partnership registries:

* Gainesville
* Key West
* Miami Beach
* West Palm Beach
* Palm Beach County
* Broward County

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
The people voting "yes on 2" don't want to hear any of this. But you are optimistic to think that they might read and understand it.;-)

Not optimistic at all. It's something I feel strongly about and simply feel that the facts need to be out there, whether heard or not.

My lack of optimism goes back to my opinion that you can't change people's minds about such subjects.... BUT I do feel that people can change if/when they are ready.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Not optimistic at all. It's something I feel strongly about and simply feel that the facts need to be out there, whether heard or not.

My lack of optimism goes back to my opinion that you can't change people's minds about such subjects.... BUT I do feel that people can change if/when they are ready.

Then you are waaay more optimistic than me! Ah, the downside of a message board- reading things that make you go "OMG!!!! People really think that in 2008?":shock:

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
Regardless of how you feel about #2, it is a shame that seniors cannot marry in order to preserve pensions and benefits that they have earned.

Here's another way to look at your argument: If these seniors (or others who lost a spouse through death or divorce) were allowed to remarry and keep their former spouse's benefits, pensions, etc. then wouldn't that destroy the sanctity of marriage also? Heck, some people might think of it as a great profession. Others might not think twice about getting a divorce because they can keep the money no matter what. And others might think of getting rid of their spouses altogether because they can just remarry and start all over with no penalties.

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
Then you are waaay more optimistic than me! Ah, the downside of a message board- reading things that make you go "OMG!!!! People really think that in 2008?":shock:

I might not be much of an optimist in this category, but I will choose to remain an optimist in most areas of my life.:D

swampfox

Beach Lover
Sep 22, 2008
Gay marriage will be a non-issue, except to those still harbouring homophobic values

I think Murder is wrong am I harbouring murderaphpbic values?, or do I just have values?

Last edited:

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Gay marriage will be a non-issue, except to those still harbouring homophobic values

I think Murder is wrong am I harbouring murderaphpbic values?, or do I just have values?

I think God addressed murder unambiguously in the 10 Commandments. I think our founding fathers addressed it pretty well under the concept of 'life, liberty and pursuit of happiness'. Neither weighed in on 'gay marriage'...I wonder why:scratch: