• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SUP View

Beach Lover
Jul 22, 2019
Above Water
Well, it does bug me that the WCC pushed forward legal action, to the tune of $10M+ of "OUR" money, for a suit that it was unlikely to win. And of course did not. We all know that Walton County provides every property owner a deed that encompasses a tax responsibility and a personal liability responsibility. Imagine being told by elected officials that those responsibilities will remain with the owner "but we are taking full access to your property". And having people on your property you cannot control, but for whom you have responsibility. Really? Most Americans would take a stand against that type of government action.

That money could have gone to a lot of good spots in Walton that need to be addressed like infrastructure, schools, and tourism. Monies could have been directed to promoting the beautiful underutilized public beaches, Grayton State Park for one, that are available to everyone. A great marketing campaign would benefit everyone.

conch

Beach Comber
Mar 5, 2010
Well, it does bug me that the WCC pushed forward legal action, to the tune of $10M+ of "OUR" money, for a suit that it was unlikely to win. And of course did not. We all know that Walton County provides every property owner a deed that encompasses a tax responsibility and a personal liability responsibility. Imagine being told by elected officials that those responsibilities will remain with the owner "but we are taking full access to your property". And having people on your property you cannot control, but for whom you have responsibility. Really? Most Americans would take a stand against that type of government action.

That money could have gone to a lot of good spots in Walton that need to be addressed like infrastructure, schools, and tourism. Monies could have been directed to promoting the beautiful underutilized public beaches, Grayton State Park for one, that are available to everyone. A great marketing campaign would benefit everyone.
ALL Florida beaches USED to be available to EVERYONE! And MOST still are!
Beaches are what make Florida special, and we have one of the best in the state.

beach | bēCH | noun a strip of land covered with sand, pebbles, or small stones at the edge of a body of water, especially by the ocean between high- and low-water marks: fabulous sandy beaches | walking along the beach at sunset | [as modifier] : a beach bar.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007

Underutilized? Grayton State Park is full by 8am every morning during the summer.

Based on your comments about how that money could have been spent shows how little you know about our local government.

Why is it private beachers don't have this attitude in public? Wear shirts, make bumper stickers, what's the matter Colonel Sanders? CHICKEN?

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015

“to the tune of $10M+ of "OUR" money, for a suit that it was unlikely to win”

Win or lose some fights are worth fighting no matter the cost.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Add Deer Lake State Park to this... I've seen cars lined up on the shoulder of 30A waiting to get in.

That original list was a real "let them eat cake" situation, but then are we shocked that private beachers are completely out of touch?

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
If you're watching the BCC meeting this is leading to what sounds like a full time county staff of 18 full time beach ambassadors. Regardless of Sheriff or TDC this is a ridiculous waste of tax payer money.

$1.2-$2.4 million

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
I believe our County had to spend whatever it takes to protect beach access for the public. Whether we agree with the settlement or not we have a new reality for beach access, beach safety and all the emotions on both sides. I personally hold one man responsible for this mess and I think we all know who that is. He started this fight and just like someone else we know he incited others to do the dirty work and then left the scene to one of his many other luxury properties. Yes there are problems with numbers of people at our beaches and a few are not respectful but we seemed to be managing it before the County was left with no choice but the Customary Use Lawsuit. I believe they would have won in the courts including the Supreme Court but it would have been expensive. The problem as always is money and these wealthy people that I speak of has access to a never ending stream of it. There are many issues here in my opinion but one of the biggest is the loss of public lands to wealth. I think our County is trying to protect our beaches the best it can with limited funding. Yes they can do better just like all of us can do better so I think we somehow have to get beyond the politics and find ways to get along and work together. I hope that is not an impossible wish...

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
It must really bug you when you realize you financed both sides of the litigation.
That's about the only thing that i (and thousands of others) can absolutely agree with you. The rest of your post is just repetitive gibberish that's filled with false assumptions and is about 10 to 15 years too late to the debate.

Last edited:

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
I personally hold one man responsible for this mess and I think we all know who that is.
You got me!

Yes they can do better just like all of us can do better so I think we somehow have to get beyond the politics and find ways to get along and work together. I hope that is not an impossible wish...
You could start by not demonizing private property owners for protecting their constitutional rights against the county with out of control commissioners who were easily led down the primrose path by some influential but misguided constituents.

Tourism will survive. I believe the county still has the option to buy easement rights to lots that are adjacent to public beach accesses... something the county should have done to begin with. But THEY were the ones who got GREEDY and wanted everything for nothing.

Of course, the county's other tactic is to try to push for beach nourishment for the "east" part of the county that has not had any beach nourishment. After defending private property rights with lots of money and anguish, I sincerely doubt enough property owners will let that happen. It's already failed once, before the customary use litigation.

And quit blaming Huckabee. You are a deeper thinker than that, I think. :cool: The lawsuit would have occurred without him. His initial presence then absence did not affect the outcome. And that's a fact.

Good to hear from you.

Last edited: