• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Yes. But what is normal procedure for travel and funding for any local honor guard?
Historically as Danny mentioned, they do civic events locally and have attended funerals of fallen law enforcement officers here in Florida and Southern Alabama by sending a representative of the department at the discretion of the Sheriff. The Sheriff's office does have a travel budget and part of my inquiry is regarding that budget.

While I agree with sending a (1) representative. I'd like to know what it cost to send between 7 and 13.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Honor Guard
Group-Honor-GuardThe Honor Guard members are a ceremonial elite unit that is dedicated to upholding the highest values and traditions of law enforcement through a display of discipline, focus and teamwork. They are under the direction of Lieutenant Artie Rodriguez. Deputy Harold Shover is the coordinator and schedules upcoming events.

Honor Guard members are committed to representing the Walton County Sheriff's Office and their law enforcement family, both locally and nationally. They honor fallen officers who have made the ultimate sacrifice. They remain ready to serve at the direction of the Sheriff and participate at various sponsored and special events.

Honor-Guard

During 2013, the Honor Guard was requested and participated in 26 events, totaling 155 hours and spent approximately 40 hours in training. The Walton County Sheriff's Office Honor Guard is civically minded and remembers our military veterans, as well as individuals and organizations that are dedicated to public service.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I know all that. I want to know what it cost the taxpayers to send the Guard to Houston.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
My guess is that the honor guard is there to serve as needed locally, regionally and nationally and at the discretion of the sheriff. Which is probably funded as part of the budget and I see that as well and good.
Again Teresa....I want to know how much the travel budget is and what it cost!!!

Unlike some, I don't agree with frivolous waste of taxpayer funding. I agree with sending a single rep and even a memorial wreath. The idea of sending upwards of 13 individuals to Houston Tx. for pomp and ceremony is IMO BS.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
ALL taxpayers should!

Last edited:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
But does any official County office or financial officer oversee the budget of the sheriff? Who the heck knows in this county. I agree it's important but not because of a guard and it's activities.

My guess is the sheriff's budget is managed by the office of the sheriff, with oversight by the county and also auditors.

Last edited:

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Part of the reason the Sheriff's dept has become larger than life is because the taxpayers don't know until after the fact how tax dollars are being spent....that freakin armored vehicle is a prime example. How long has it sat in storage now?