• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
HOUSTON —

Thousands of law enforcement officers stood at attention to form a wall Friday outside one of Houston's largest churches as a 21-gun salute and flyover by police helicopters were carried out in honor of a slain sheriff's deputy.

The symbolic gestures followed the funeral for Harris County Sheriff's Deputy Darren Goforth, who was gunned down at a gas pump a week ago.

"We come to this place with heavy hearts, and have questions we don't really understand," Lt. Don Savell, the sheriff's department chaplain, said as the ceremony began. "We gather to share the grief we all feel and perhaps to find the strength to bear our sorrow and to look for seeds of hope."

Second Baptist Church, which holds 7,000 people, was filled. Some officers stood outside and watched the nearly two-hour service on big-screen televisions, while other spectators gathered outside the suburban convenience store where Goforth was killed to view the funeral on screens set up there. Flowers, balloons, posters and written messages in memory of Goforth still surround the pump where he was shot.

Goforth, 47, was in uniform when he was killed while putting fuel in his patrol car. A 30-year-old Houston man is charged with capital murder. Investigators are still trying to determine a motive.

"Darren Goforth was one of the good guys, one that made a difference," Sheriff Ron Hickman said during the funeral. He said Goforth's life was taken "senselessly and in an act of cowardice" the night of Aug. 28 but that he and others "will answer calls in Darren's honor."

He said about 11,000 officers from "coast to coast" had come to pay respects.

Outside the church after the service, Hickman gave Goforth's wife, Kathleen, the flag that had been draped over the casket.

A line of patrol cars formed a large cross in the parking lot, and two Houston fire trucks with ladders extended formed an arch with a flag extended at the top. People lined streets as the funeral procession drove away. A private burial was planned. Read more.. Houston-area sheriff's deputy remembered during funeral

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
One (1) officer was sufficient!!

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
To answer the question, the Sheriff is a constitutional officer and is solely responsible for how his budget is spent. The BCC sets the budget amount each year. If the BCC and Sheriff cannot agree on the amount, then the Sheriff can appeal to the Governor for a final decision. Once the budget figure is set, the Sheriff has wide latitude on how the funds are expended. For example, the BCC cannot tell the Sheriff he cannot spend money to send officers to wherever he wants to send them. The only real brake is that if the Sheriff exceeds his budget amount he could be personally liable for the shortfall. So most Sheriff's are very cautious about making sure there are enough funds to make it to the end of the budget year. That is also why there is usually a large number of expenditures in September so that most of the money is spent.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
That is also why there is usually a large number of expenditures in September so that most of the money is spent.

Then ask for more money because you frivolously spent money where it could have been saved.

The Sheriff's budget now is larger than life.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
I found out the hard way when I was Corrections Director that turning back large amounts of money at the end of the budget cycle is not viewed as a good thing by many people in county government. ;)

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I found out the hard way when I was Corrections Director that turning back large amounts of money at the end of the budget cycle is not viewed as a good thing by many people in county government. ;)

It's the same in most governments. I worked for city of Gainesville Fire Dept several years in charge of the budget. We worked hard to create good programs and budgets but then implementing and appropriate spending requires good oversight and hard work. Having money leftover was frowned upon. Meeting objectives and managing new and existing budgets across the board not always easy. But the City demanded good management policy so that was appreciated.

Last edited:

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011

How sad is that?

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Misty, sometimes I am wrong. This time, on this issue, you are.