• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

PBA Rep

Beach Comber
Oct 28, 2008
By the way, my name is "The Watcher":cool:, Ms. Jackson if you're nasty.;-)

LOL! I like your sense of humor, at least. :rotfl:

PBA Rep. I can tell you that both the females that were let go were good cops. One was a little whiney, but she was still a good cop. Johnson just applied FMLA to them and did away with light duty at the departmet. It was a real nasty thing and I think sealed his fate.

I'm sure most people on both sides of the unionization deal will agree that that whole thing was screwed up. I mean, we are supposed to take care of each other, right?:dunno:

If they had been members, the PBA would've provided them with legal counsel and they would probably get their jobs back with back pay. After doing research in federal case law, I found a decision out of New Your Federal Court of Appeals that awarded officers in the same circumstances just that. If I remember correctly, their ruling was that if a department had light duty, they could not end it. If a department NEVER had it, then they could run folks off for non work related injuries or leave beyond the twelve weeks allowed by FMLA.

I will not even consider having another child until I know the Sheriff-elect's stance on this issue.

Words for thought.... Why not get language into the contract to address this very thing, the you will not have to worry about a sheriff changing his mind on this issue and you going a head and having child. It's kind of hard to back up at that point, but if it is in the contract, this would I think resolve your concerns. A contract make sure that the administration will treat everyone equally. Reference your quote, "we are supposed to take care of each other, right? Answer is with a contract you con't have to worry about who has your back, the PBA will. REMEMBER VOTE PBA!!!!

Last edited:
Ms. Jackson,
Desoto County had a very similar situtation to what you are in and guess what the New Sheriff came in and had a contract that was negotiated under the old administration, just prior to him taking office. The new Sheriff came in after a tough race and no problems. In fact that Sheriff knew he wanted to take care of his employees and the former Sheriff just started the process. The Fact is simple, your mind will not change, you are anti-union. You throw arrows and split hairs. Why would I need to know about a case that had nothing to do with the PBA. Looks like to me it proves my point, if what I'm hearing is true and using your standard of thought "those who do their jobs to the best of their ability, don't worry about who the new sheriff is" If these young ladies used this same method of thought.... well you get the point.

I wish them well and hope they get their jobs back.

Take care, Ms. Jackson

REMEMBER VOTE PBA

I am not a deputy and do not even have close relatives working there, so I am strictly a bystander and taxpayer. However, If you came to my shop and wanted to represent me and made the statement highlighted above I would tell you to get lost. How can you claim to represent LABOR and not be aware of the most important LABOR case to occur in this area in the last 5-10 years? This case could have severe implications for all women of child-bearing age, not just deputies. I DO have daughters and would be furious if they lost a job they had trained for all their life simply because they chose to have a child. If you are not "up" on this issue, I would not want you representing me in any labor negotiation.

WhoDat1

Beach Lover
Oct 23, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I don't think either one of the cops in question were members, so the PBA was not notified about the case. The girls ahve their own lawyer. Thats the point. If the PBA, FOP or the Teamsters are'nt here, how do you expect them to help?

You know, the PBA ain't our only option people...the teamsters are watching this right now, as well.....:cool:

I don't think either one of the cops in question were members, so the PBA was not notified about the case. The girls ahve their own lawyer. Thats the point. If the PBA, FOP or the Teamsters are'nt here, how do you expect them to help?

You know, the PBA ain't our only option people...the teamsters are watching this right now, as well.....:cool:

I hope they do their homework before they swoop in.:D

WhoDat

Beach Comber
Sep 21, 2008
get over it

Deputy Sheriff's are not police officers and they have no right to unionize. Florida is an at will state and if the sheriff thinks youre a poor deputy he SHOULD and CAN fire you. The whole pregnant thing was just B.S. Noone liked it, including me. But it is what it is. Deputies serve at the sheriff's pleasure. Period.

I hope the next sheriff fires all of the screw ups that Ralph had working for him. And when he does, they can take his union crap with them. If you want a union, be a city cop or a highway patrolman. Just get out of Walton!:angry:

PBA Rep

Beach Comber
Oct 28, 2008
I am not a deputy and do not even have close relatives working there, so I am strictly a bystander and taxpayer. However, If you came to my shop and wanted to represent me and made the statement highlighted above I would tell you to get lost. How can you claim to represent LABOR and not be aware of the most important LABOR case to occur in this area in the last 5-10 years? This case could have severe implications for all women of child-bearing age, not just deputies. I DO have daughters and would be furious if they lost a job they had trained for all their life simply because they chose to have a child. If you are not "up" on this issue, I would not want you representing me in any labor negotiation.

First off sir or ma'am you need to get your facts straight. Law Enforcement and Firefighter Unions are different than a union for a store clerk. Secondly, If PBA, FOP, or Teamsters had been here and they were not members, the only then they would be entitled to would be have the protection of a contract, not legal representation. So, even if I felt they were done wrong, I could not represent them, because it would not be fair to the dues paying members. Now language can be placed in the contract to address such issues as this to keep it from happening again. Now, idlewind how would you know so much about this case to say it is the most important case to Labor in this area if you did not have some working knowledge of the case..... Makes one wonder if you are only here to cloud judgements....

idlewind, clean up on isle 9

Deputies, remember that individuals will attempt to make you as confused as possible in an effort to get you to vote no to collective bargaining. They will do this under the pretense, of allowing you to make an educated choice, take it for what it's worth. You do not know who these people are because they hide behind fictious names and post boldly and proud as if they know what they are talking about, when in reality the only truth they know is confusion.

Remember VOTE PBA

leo101

Beach Comber
Oct 17, 2008
Now we finally hear the truth, its all about the almighty dollar. If you dont pay you dont get representation. They will put something in a contract to address various problems, but the real question is will they represent you if you are not a paying member if there is a contract dispute. My guess is probably not.

And your willing to negotiate a labor contract for the department, do the paying memebers get more input and say so then the non paying members?

So if your not a paying memeber and there is a contract dispute you have to hire your own lawyer and take it to court. What makes that any different then the way it is currently? Other than the fact that for the new sheriff to give the deputies any thing over and above whats in the contract he would have to amend the previous contract and jump through all the PBA hoops to get it done. Sounds like going around your elbow to get to your thumb.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Deputy Sheriff's are not police officers and they have no right to unionize. Florida is an at will state and if the sheriff thinks youre a poor deputy he SHOULD and CAN fire you. The whole pregnant thing was just B.S. Noone liked it, including me. But it is what it is. Deputies serve at the sheriff's pleasure. Period.

I hope the next sheriff fires all of the screw ups that Ralph had working for him. And when he does, they can take his union crap with them. If you want a union, be a city cop or a highway patrolman. Just get out of Walton!:angry:

Beachy you would be wrong, so rather than act as though you know sit down, There are numerous Unionized SO in Florida. Including departments to the West

WhoDat

Beach Comber
Sep 21, 2008
Beachy you would be wrong, so rather than act as though you know sit down, There are numerous Unionized SO in Florida. Including departments to the West

Not in Walton County. And even if there is, this does not take away the fact that the sheriff can dismiss you at will. :shock: The WCSO is working fine just the way it is. All it needs is the same kick in the pants that the police department got from Mike Adkinson. If he can improve the Police Department, he certainly can handle the Sheriff's Office.

Deputies should not fall for this BS. If you vote the union in, don't think that they can protect you. You are the Sheriff's DEPUTY, his subordinate. Bringing in outsiders to handle your affairs will only inflame the relationship with the Sheriff. The bottom line is, if they want to get rid of you or cut your pay, nothing can be done except a bunch of talk. The sheriff is still the final word no matter what.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
OK got it Beachy, your new position depends on an opening. You still can't back up what you are saying. I'm suprised if all you say is true how these other departments do it.