• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Beauty hunter

Beach Fanatic
May 3, 2009
Lets keep in mind here that the money the TDC spends comes from bed tax revenue and not the county coffers.

That said it doesn't make it not taxpayer money, but it's not actually coming from the locals, it's coming from the tourists.

As far as the slogan I can't post some of the things we came up with last night that will probably be misheard resulting in some serious embarrassment. The one thing about the slogan I've noticed is how vague it is, doesn't include anything unique about our area and can be changed to suit many different areas:

Atlanta - to each, eat a peach.

As far as THE beach, I thought that had to lie dormant for at least another year so the statute of limitations could run out.

You guys are making me laugh like firecrackers gone wild :lol::lolabove::clap:
All of you are so entertaining...
TO EACH, EAT A PEACH :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Here is what I have.

These were the two print ads they showed on Tuesday morning. If they wind your watch OK.

I found them less than spectacular, but I guess they are just mock ups.

Pardon the quality but they are cellphone photos taken from the screen as they were projected. If I remember correctly there were 28 panels in the PowerPoint presentation.

I didn't photograph all of the panels.

View attachment 19261

View attachment 19262

I find these very unappealing and unrepresentative of the beauty of SoWal. How very disappointing....MAYBE some of the other pics are better?

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I like the discussion - keep it going. Be assured that all the people involved are reading this.

My comments turned out to be too long so I wrote a column:
Re-branding the World's Most Beautiful Beaches | SoWal.com - Guide For The Beaches Of South Walton & Scenic 30A

Kurt, thanks for more detail. Just as you stated in your column, "to each, his own..." makes my point about the grammar.

Whoever is reading this from the TDC, I hope you will not use incorrect grammar in any slogan.

Why not something like: South Walton: A Beach for Everyone."

We truly do have such a variety that almost everyone can find what they are looking for here and a tagline like that would lend itself to lots of spin-offs.

BTW, Kurt, how does one write a column? I must have missed something on the do-over of the site, or is that just something you are able to do?

Last edited:

Beach Bimmer

Beach Fanatic
May 2, 2006
South Walton

Great column from Kurt, should be a must read for those who care about the branding of our area.

I spent 25 years overseeing research, statistics, programming and marketing for media companies in the United States, including serving as a media consultant. I built brands that achieved #1 market share.

In ad agencies, sometimes the baby gets thrown out with the bath water when trying to freshen a brand. That's what this ad agency just did. We're selling sand here folks, and the TDC understands that. What the TDC is missing is a stronger ad message from their agency.

TDC, go back to the agency and tell them to try again, and don't pay them another dime of that $1.3 million until at least three different concepts are created and tested in research with at least 100 actual SoWal visitors.

Seeing words like "Appalachians" and "strand" in that proposed LKM text posted earlier tells me some ad agency copywriter has a Carolinas slant to their writing, i.e. the "Grand Strand" of Myrtle Beach. If much of the original research was conducted using focus groups in North Carolina, throw it out. Rest assured I recognize the NC lingo because one of our sons lives in Raleigh, our family used to live in Charlotte, and as a youngster I lived in Chapel Hill, NC, just down the road from Dean Smith and up the hill from James Taylor's parents house.

Simply put, TDC, your goal should be a brand evolution...not a revolution.

Last edited:

Beauty hunter

Beach Fanatic
May 3, 2009
Whereas the first picture posted in this thread looked like marketing for funeral services, Ad3 makes me wonder if they're offering chiropractic services on the beach...

The sky is taupish grey in this pic and you may get the idea that they are dancing, but what you said is funnier :lol:
They should have asked Kurt for some of his pics or some of you other sowal paparazzi's, you guys have some GREAT pics of our area.
One thing about this area is that no one is afraid to speak their mind- go sowallers!

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
UGH-
Beaches of South Walton finally developed into a cohesive concept in look and feel. And now they are changing it to something ambiguous because recall and awareness was low? Duh-

They needed to more effectively disseminate the concept. Not change it.

As an example-

If an artist like Allison Wickey wants more people to know about her and her fine work, there are many things she can do from a marketing perspective. Changing her name, her good looks or her art- these are the last things she should do.

Another example-

South Beach. I know where it is. I know what it is. I have been there and love it. But my awareness and recall of that name/branding didn't happen overnight. If they would have changed that name every few years I never would have found out about those changes. And I would have ended up concluding that when I am there I am in Miami because nothing else would have been around long enough to stick.

Sure, evolve a brand. Freshen the umbrella, adjust the font. But abandoning the name/concept sets us back, IMHO.

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
That first picture looks like an erectile dysfunction ad. :eek:

I swear I've seen the second one as an ad for another area advertising lakes. :dunno:

BEACHES! Sparkling sand beaches! Turquoise water!

Per a book I am reading, someone needs to see an ad 6 times before they remember it - so all of these major changes with completely different names, colors, fonts, and graphics are TOTALLY the wrong way to go.

Last edited:

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
They would also probably like to have the domain name southwalton.com

Robert Nelson probably has more hits on his site, SouthWalton.com from your post above than from any other source. I guess he is hoping to sell the site.

This didn't really register with me the first time through, but I wonder how much he is going to want for it. Maybe he will come on and let us know his thoughts on the branding change since he is likely in line for a nice payout for owning the site. Could be kinda interesting with his perspective on wasteful government spending. I also wonder if any others in the community have any comments on what would be a good selling price. :dunno: