Walton TDC Presents New Branding

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Bob Hudson, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

Thank you Beachsio! this is the most useful information we have seen so far.

Finding info on Walton County TDC meetings is very difficult. Even this site (partners site) is limited, but it does include links to presentations/workshops - after the fact (even the April 13 presentation).

I checked on Walton County site and there are no links to TDC workshop or meeting schedules, as you might find on other County sites such as Pinellas County:
    Pinellas County Florida, Tourist Development Council

While looking at Visit St Pete Clearwater, I was thinking that our situation (many communities) is not so unique. Many areas in Florida, such as Pinellas County, encompass a huge area with dozens of communities - all with unique attractions - that must be promoted. After taking a look at St Pete/Clearwater, it looks like they highlight and promote all the different and wonderful aspects of all of the communities, instead of branding it as one place. They have city life, many beach communities, museums, fishing and outdoors, tons of resorts and tourist attractions, and much more.

I think our situation is rather simple in comparison. Our area is uniquely wonderful in many ways - it should be an easy task to promote, with some fresh campaigns, and also targeting ecotourism, and highlighting beautiful features and unique towns. I am more convinced that our branding is in place, maybe it needs a little tweaking or updating. That is just me though.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  2. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

I realize the one of the bullet points of this is that people don't know where they are. Is there anyway that could be expanded upon? I'm not too worried about someone staying in Dune Allen and not knowing that it's specifically called Dune Allen. I have a feeling this is the big issue and I don't feel that it's a problem to be putting over a million dollars worth of focus on. If someone is here and truly doesn't know what county they are in then it's a problem. I feel that there's some serious spinning of a survey/poll that isn't being revealed.

3. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

My exact sentiments. These people have already gotten here, somehow, they know they like it here. They know how to get back here. I think way too much focus on this branding concept, and not enough just plain old advertisement. I know that I live here, and only have basic cable, but I have never , not even once, ever seen a television advertisement for the beaches of South Walton. Am I missing something?

4. wrobert

wrobert Beach Fanatic

This is no worse than us spending hundreds of thousands of dollars putting flashing lights in the road and pedestrian crossings. Do you really think people do not cross streets in Atlanta?

5. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

Based on their behavior, one WOULD think so.

6. Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson Beach Fanatic

If those street lights don't work we do not miss millions of dollars in sales tax, bed tax and gasoline tax and businesses do not close.

Those street lights do not work (and they never have). People don't use them.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  7. Teresa

I do believe safety programs are essential.
    and I do not believe name calling or unconstructive criticism is helpful, respectful of anyone or necessary.

8. beachFool

beachFool Beach Fanatic

The TDC should use this photo and "SoWal, I do" for the tagline.

Anna Kinchen

Make checks payable to Buz Livingston

9. lenzoe

lenzoe Beach Fanatic

The following is a link to an interesting presentation on the issue of why people rarely get involved (especially early on) in community-affecting issues like the one being discussed here.

Dave Meslin: The antidote to apathy | Video on TED.com

I like the demonstration of what would happen to a Nike ad if it were done in a typical government notice format.

10. Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson Beach Fanatic

I do not believe that "to each, your beach" is constructive, helpful, representative of this area, or necessary.

11. Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson Beach Fanatic

The following is a link to an interesting presentation on the issue of why people rarely get involved (especially early on) in community-affecting issues like the one being discussed here.

Dave Meslin: The antidote to apathy | Video on TED.com

I like the demonstration of what would happen to a Nike ad if it were done in a typical government notice format.

Excellent - well worth the watch.

12. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet Beach Fanatic

Very nice, Buz!
    I looked at the power point, and I thought it was boiler plate, marketing 101. The BCC and the TDC have been well aware of the "branding" concept for years. Nothing new there. What would be new would be in the execution of what I believe is an already established identity,
    Beaches of South Walton. What I would do, instead of hiring an over-priced out of town firm that uses a lot of buzz words would be to stick with the existing identity and go for first class creative execution. I might start with a design competition at Florida colleges, bring on board coastal artists from here and other tourist destinations to choose designs, and encourage locals and tourists to get involved. What Buz has posted here is one really impressive and simple ad. I have no doubt there are lots of creative people out there who would love to participate. Instead of spending all that money out of state, the TDC could use some it for prize renumeration, to buy the rights to something like what Buz suggested, etc. Keep the money in Florida and spread it around to students, artists, aspiring photographers, graphic artists, and so forth. It could be the basis for a really innovative ad campaign. An ad agency, and I am sure there are many locally, could place the ads and deal with the actual production. Would be lots cheaper. And next I would hire someone, or several someones, again maybe in a competition format, to produce youtube videos, set up twitter feeds and all that techy stuff.

13. Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson Beach Fanatic

I have obtained a copy of the Market Research done on this project. 82 pages in length. This reaearch was done by Majority Opinion Research. The TDC's new research company is Kerr and Downs.

• New Ad Agency
    • New Research Firm

Sheds some light on the "where I stayed issue"

Doesn't seem to help with the "to each, your beach" question.

View attachment Market Perception Study Report.pdf

14. Teresa

this is beyond good, such forward thinking ideas... thank you very much for your thoughtful, positive comments and suggestions. I find your post to be very constructive and I wholeheartedly agree with every point.

I really like Buzz's example too - simple and absolutely beautiful.

Beaches of South Walton, or South Walton Beach, or South Walton Beaches - it is our brand. now we need ongoing, consistently outstanding messages and advertising about our area. just think of the artists, marketing and media professionals in our own community who could contribute in so many incredible ways. we just need someone with the skills to coordinate... and a great deal of imagination and energy on behalf of our TDC.

15. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

I love it - people like to come here for our "well marinated beaches". :lol:

Name recognition is not the problem, name recognition of their latest "brand name" is - Beaches of South Walton gets 49%, Beaches of Sowal combined with any town/development name (Rosemary, Seaside, etc.) catapults it to 92% - almost 10% higher than Destin or PC!

I also find it a little worrisome that no visitors outside of the Southeast were part of the poll. I know that is a significant portion of the market, but it isn't 100% of it - just look at license plates.

16. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Gotta love anyone who puts conclusions before the research. :roll:

This is from the report. I'm not sure how this marketing firm overlooked this, but perhaps they should reread the report.

17. beachFool

beachFool Beach Fanatic

Thanks, y'all. That is our daughter even the photographer knew she caught lightning in a bottle.

Blair and the photographer are high school friends who has a studio in...Florida and her parents have a home here.

An ad agency could never replicate that shot. I bet Kurt and other LOCAL photographers have gazillions that can't be staged.

Plus I like our umbrellas

18. idlewind

idlewind Beach Fanatic

Walton/Okaloosa County and a little south alabama
    I like the umbrellas too.

19. GoodWitch58

GoodWitch58 Beach Fanatic

this article is about the "love for cities", but I bet the concept would apply for our area too...there are so many opportunities for creative people who love this area to contribute; too bad there seems to be a "disconnect" between the people who love the area and the people who are promoting it.

Recruiting business is fine, but put a little more love in your city, too - St. Petersburg TimesLove, Kageyama says, is a community resource. Cities that can build up "emotional capital" from citizens who love their communities can tap that reserve, almost like a bank account, to get people to step up and do creative things, especially in these leaner fiscal times

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  20. Rita

Rita margarita brocolia

Good article!

Way back from the early posts on this thread, I keep being reminded of the first time I heard about this area. We lived in Gainesville, FL in mid to late 1980s and I recall reading an article about artists relocating to Seaside and Grayton (first time I had heard of either place - having grown up in IL). I remember it as a very interesting article that left a positive mental picture of the area, as well as a curiosity as to what was happening there.

The creative artistic talent, as well as so many other realms of knowledge and experience that can be recognized daily on this message board, makes me wonder why it wasn't tapped. This is not unique to Walton County as other places I've lived have looked to outside sources of expertise for surveys/answers when local talent could more than handle the challenge. ............... I can think of a couple places that this would not have been the case though. ha!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011