• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
Not likely an issue where they would be placed. They would be far enough offshore and in deep enough water, but modeling would be performed before a permit was issued. The proposal/ideas for SoWal don't appear to be a problem, but they will be reviewed for sure. I was speaking more on attached structures like groins/jetties, and breakwaters that are typically closer inshore.

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
Not likely an issue where they would be placed. They would be far enough offshore and in deep enough water, but modeling would be performed before a permit was issued. The proposal/ideas for SoWal don't appear to be a problem, but they will be reviewed for sure. I was speaking more on attached structures like groins/jetties, and breakwaters that are typically closer inshore.

I think you were answering my question about artificial reefs. Thanks!

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
I think you were answering my question about artificial reefs. Thanks!

I was. Thanks for the question and opportunity to describe the difference. Personally, I am a fan of the reef projects and think it is compatible with the County's efforts on restoration.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I'm simply commenting on the appearance. For me, the natural beauty argument doesn't carry much weight. The money issue, yeah maybe. I think structures can enhance the natural beauty if done correctly. They are what make this area so distinctive. I like the walkovers as much as I like the dunes. I like docks and piers as much as I like bodies of water. If done correctly.

I agree that walk overs and docks can be complimentary to the natural beauty of dunes and lakes. But, massive concrete structures, jutting out arrogantly into the oceans, just don't do it for me. It's like a high rise condo lying horizontally spoiling any natural view for anyone within multiple miles. You can't escape it.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005

What do you think of a public pier at Grayton Beach State Park? What issues do you see?

DuneAHH

Beach Fanatic

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
I am not sure what BP funds are allowed to be spent on, but sowal desperately needs funds for transportation. Widening or four laning some areas of 30A to accommodate the heavy congestion from our visitors. Attracting visitors to the area is good, but sowal cannot hold the traffic. A trolley system 24/7 during the season would be a plus. The fishing pier idea I do not like so much. As with other attractions, it's been a tradition around here to say "go to Destin or PCB if that is what you are looking for." If a pier must be built I would recommend Inlet Beach where the old wooden pier used to be and the remains of it are still there. Beach renourishment, artificial reefs and the pier idea, not a good idea, one good storm and bye bye.

Four-laning parts of 30A would totally destroy the ambiance of the area. It's hard enough to cross two lanes for those north of 30A to get to the beach. Can you imagine crossing four lanes to get to the beach? For safety reasons, it would require people to drive to the beach accesses meaning more parking lots.
You don't know what you got till it's gone
They paved paradise and put up a parking lot

The biggest traffic problem is the intersection of 30A and 395. The 395 outlet to 98 and the Camp Creek outlet to 98 are too far apart. There needs to be another outlet to 98 somewhere in between. Yes, we've discussed this before on SoWal.com.

BeachRob

Beach Lover
Nov 30, 2012
I would spend it on hookers and beer. But, if it's public money, I think it should go toward the 331 bridge project, so we can retire the extra 1/2% tax... OR, we could put it in a special account until there is a hurricane or something, and spend it then...

Douglas

Beach Comber
Aug 27, 2012
Seagrove Beach
I'd spend it on an airport for South Walton. It would benefit residents and tourism. I'd put it east of Point Washington, between Hwy 98 and the intracoastal waterway.