• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BeachSteelers

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2006
Seagrove
Tonight is Filet Mignon( only kind T bone will eat) covered in a portobelo/wine/cream sauce. With some Green Snap Beans) and some blue cheese mashers. How's that?

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
fresh flounder from the beach today (caught by kirky-baby himself), along with alaskan king crab (spidey's new favorite food ever) with baked taters and steamed broccoli. simple but yummy...

I'll be over at 7.

On my oven it's nothing more complicated that pressing the convection button. All you need to look up is temperature reduction (ie, baked goods usually are set at 325 degrees as opposed to the usual 350) and time reduction (I've found what takes 30 minutes in a regular oven usually only takes 18-22 minutes on average). Your manual will give you more specific guidelines, but really, it's not rocket science. If you know how to operate a computer--even badly--you know how to use the convection oven.

Plus, it turns out a damn fine pizza. :razz:
Thanks for the info on convection ovens. The oven at our beach house has a convection option, but I have been afraid to try it. Guess I thought it'd be a hassle doing time and temperature conversions for my recipes. I'd better get out the instruction manual. :blush:

What recipe do you use for pizza dough? I have tried countless recipes, and they're all a flop. The thicker crusts aren't yeasty-tasting enough and don't rise properly, and the thin crusts aren't crisp enough. I'm considered a great cook, but maybe I"m just not a baker? :dunno:

Last edited:

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
What recipe do you use for pizza dough? I have tried countless recipes, and they're all a flop. The thicker crusts aren't yeasty-tasting enough and don't rise properly, and the thin crusts aren't crisp enough. I'm considered a great cook, but maybe I"m just not a baker? :dunno:

I'm sure you'll get some great pizza dough recipes but I cheat. Trader Joe's has wonderful dough and it costs less than 99 cents. I think you'll be getting a TJs in Atlanta some time soon, won't you? Give it a go whenever you're in there.

I'm a great cook and a lousy baker, too. I think it's a rare bird who's good in both departments. When you think of it, though, it makes sense that it's hard to be both. Baking requires precision--you must accurately measure and weigh and follow directions to a T. Cooking? Well, in my kitchen the recipe is the starting point. I almost always improvise from the recipe, adjusting this, subtracting that, etc. That's the kiss of death for baking!! I've long since given up on trying to be a good baker though I think my husband the engineer would make a fine one. More his line than mine. :razz:

peapod1980

percy
Oct 3, 2005
Up the hill from the Gateway Arch
I'm sure you'll get some great pizza dough recipes but I cheat. Trader Joe's has wonderful dough and it costs less than 99 cents. I think you'll be getting a TJs in Atlanta some time soon, won't you? Give it a go whenever you're in there.
Mer, is it frozen or refrigerated? Have to look for this next trip!

I'm a great cook and a lousy baker, too. I think it's a rare bird who's good in both departments. When you think of it, though, it makes sense that it's hard to be both. Baking requires precision--you must accurately measure and weigh and follow directions to a T. Cooking? Well, in my kitchen the recipe is the starting point. I almost always improvise from the recipe, adjusting this, subtracting that, etc. That's the kiss of death for baking!! I've long since given up on trying to be a good baker though I think my husband the engineer would make a fine one. More his line than mine. :razz:
Oh, even with my husband the engineer helping me, the pizzas we make are not worth the effort.

BTW, back on thread, what's for dinner tonight? We had bison and salads with yummy bacon-ranch dressing at Ted's Montana Grill.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Mer, is it frozen or refrigerated? Have to look for this next trip!

It's in the refrigerated section. It comes in a plastic bag, either traditional or herb-flavored. They do a good job with it.

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
Oh, even with my husband the engineer helping me, the pizzas we make are not worth the effort.

BTW, back on thread, what's for dinner tonight? We had bison and salads with yummy bacon-ranch dressing at Ted's Montana Grill.
OMG, I can't believe you just mentioned Ted's. One just opened in our area. I can't wait to try it. the Menu online looks great, but there were no prices. I'm thinking it must be reasonably priced because of the listing of hamburgers, salads, etc.