• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

grace

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2007
here & now
The first time we went to The Back Porch (circa 1982-ish) we LOVED their chargrilled amberjack, but it seems to have changed a lot...smaller portions and not as good as we remembered it from that first trip. We're basically looking for that "old" Back Porch, if it even exists anymore.

A majority of the seafood at The Back Porch and the other Darden companies comes from Venezuela:blush:.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
The rule of thumb is that they are "in season" during months that have an "r" in them (Sep-Apr). BTW, I was born and raised in Sarasota....moved here 13 years ago to become a "northerner".

That was actually born back in the days when refrigeration was a luxury and not the norm. There's always a risk, but they (oysters) taste just as good to me in July as they do in November! :drool:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Can't find Shrimper's anywhere....any suggestions on where to look?
it is a seafood market on north side of Hwy 98, west of 393.

Mid week update....been to Nick's, Bayou Bill's, Bud and Alley's Taco Bar and short road trip to Dee's Hangout in PCB. All were good, but Nick's and Dee's were both well above average, very memorable.

I like Nick's. Tell us about Dee's.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Mid week update....been to Nick's, Bayou Bill's, Bud and Alley's Taco Bar and short road trip to Dee's Hangout in PCB. All were good, but Nick's and Dee's were both well above average, very memorable.

All great! Hope that when you say "Nick's" that you aren't referring to shrimp. Their's aren't local but tasty nonetheless!

jbtcardfan

Beach Comber
Apr 19, 2009
it is a seafood market on north side of Hwy 98, west of 393.

I like Nick's. Tell us about Dee's.

Dee's Hangout is on the north side of Frontage Beach Rd. in Panama City Beach across the street from one of the big high rises containing a place called Pineapple Willy's in a small strip shopping center between Pompano's and another restaurant called The Curry Pot.

For starters, we had the alligator appetizer, deep fried, of course. It was interesting, glad we sampled it. I took the opportunity to try my first po' boy sandwich, the oyster model. The menu claims their bread comes from the New Orleans bakers that invented the sandwich, and I believe it. Besides the oysters, it was the best part of the sandwich. Pretty much decided that would be my last po' boy, as I didn't care much for the rest of the ingredients. But if you like them, they probably don't get much better than here.
The rest of the meal was really good. My wife had the grouper sandwich, my daughter had the grouper bites basket and my son got the popcorn shrimp. All were very good. My daughter ate all the homemade cole slaw that came with her grouper, even though she "hates" slaw. I had cajun fried potatoes, which were also very good.

It's a small place, with a bit of a throwback atmosphere, with plain tables and chairs and old photos of what appeared to be several previous incarnations of the business.

Four big thumbs up.

happy2Bme

Beach Fanatic
Sep 24, 2007
Sowal
Dee's Hangout is on the north side of Frontage Beach Rd. in Panama City Beach across the street from one of the big high rises containing a place called Pineapple Willy's in a small strip shopping center between Pompano's and another restaurant called The Curry Pot.

For starters, we had the alligator appetizer, deep fried, of course. It was interesting, glad we sampled it. I took the opportunity to try my first po' boy sandwich, the oyster model. The menu claims their bread comes from the New Orleans bakers that invented the sandwich, and I believe it. Besides the oysters, it was the best part of the sandwich. Pretty much decided that would be my last po' boy, as I didn't care much for the rest of the ingredients. But if you like them, they probably don't get much better than here.
The rest of the meal was really good. My wife had the grouper sandwich, my daughter had the grouper bites basket and my son got the popcorn shrimp. All were very good. My daughter ate all the homemade cole slaw that came with her grouper, even though she "hates" slaw. I had cajun fried potatoes, which were also very good.

It's a small place, with a bit of a throwback atmosphere, with plain tables and chairs and old photos of what appeared to be several previous incarnations of the business.

Four big thumbs up.

For those with adventurous appetites, The Curry Pot serves some good Indian-style groceries! Not expensive, not pretentious, but authentic home-made food cooked by an Indian husband and wife team. Try it, you'll like it!

Allifunn

FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com
Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg

Four big thumbs up.
I LOVE places like this!!! You do good reporting! :wave:

bluemtnrunner

Beach Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
Happy2B Stone crab season is regulated and open from Oct 15-May15. You can only take one claw.

Scallop season opens two weeks early this year! I wanna go to St. Joe!!!!

jbtcardfan

Beach Comber
Apr 19, 2009
Updated report...bayou omelette at The Donut Hole, with fresh crab meat is AWESOME! A.J.'s in Destin...too touristy. Shrimp O.K., a little too soggy for my taste.
The Red Bar...best overall meal while there. Spent our last Friday night meal there, crabcakes and a blackened grouper special with a bacon and cheese gritcake under the fish was worth the parking hassle. So was the bread pudding with bourbon sauce.
Nick's was my favorite. My daughter's was Dee's Hangout in PCB.

Iris

Beach Fanatic
Aug 10, 2009
Seacrest
We went to Dee's Hangout on Saturday and the food was great. I had the gumbo and my friend had a roast beef poor boy. Both were really good. Thought we were in NOLA! Didn't have any oysters, but they looked wonderful. Everyone eating them seemed to be very happy. But my favorite oysters and Oyster Bar is in Millville (right next to PC) not PC and not Hunt's, although Hunt's are good they are just not the best. I have been sworn to secrecey not to to unveil the name, so just google oyster bar in Millville! It's less than 30 minutes from SOWAL and the prices are right.