• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Desso

Beach Lover
Feb 8, 2008
Love "that place" in Millville. Been going since I was a kid. Iris, I'm curious. How do you get there in less than thirty minutes from Sowal?

Iris

Beach Fanatic
Aug 10, 2009
Seacrest
We are on the eastern end of 30A. Go down 98 until 77, then go south and you know the rest of the way. Wish I was there now. Mrs. Oyster Bar shucked me a half pint Friday and they were so good. Now, not as good as eating them there. I must have had 4 dozen little things the past couple of days. If you pray, pray for them. They are really worried. Thanks.

Desso

Beach Lover
Feb 8, 2008
I thought you may have a secret route. From Blue Mountain it takes me about 45 minutes. I get my oysters from the there for my stew and the stuffing I make during the holidays. They'll save me a pint or two of oyster liquor if I ask. I try to go a couple of times a month for half-shell. Good people and they are in my prayers.

Wekick

Beach Comber
Jan 1, 2005
A majority of the seafood at The Back Porch and the other Darden companies comes from Venezuela:blush:.
Believe it or not, Red Lobster sources at least their fresh catch as locally as they can and they buy the top 20% of the hold. A relative that works in the corporate office told me that. I didn't think that the Back Porch was one of their brands.

We like Dewy Destin's
Red Bar
Nick's
For a field trip--the Owl Cafe in Apalachicola
We cook quite a bit at home --Shrimpers or Goatfeathers. Is the Goatfeathers closed in Seagrove?
Also Old Bay Steamer in FWB and we used to go to Harbor Docks, but haven't been for awhile.
It is good to have some new places to try.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
The Back Porch isn't part of Darden. They're a group that operates assorted restaurants under the Back Porch, Pompano Joe's, Fisherman's Wharf, and Louisiana Lagianappe names.

And until management figured out there didn't have to really care and people would still come, the FWB Red Lobster surprisingly was one of the more reliable seafood restaurants there for many a year. It was like 'I know they're a chain, but they honestly don't suck like you'd think and...'

jbtcardfan

Beach Comber
Apr 19, 2009
I'm not a huge oyster connoisseur, or even that big of a fan, for that matter, but if anyone's oysters are better than the Indian Pass Raw Bar's, I'd be very surprised. We ate there last year during our 25th anniversary trip, and actually dined on our actual anniversary night at the Owl Cafe, which was excellent as well!

catmoney

Beach Comber
May 23, 2009
I'm going down to Seagrove tommorrow. Could you tell me if the oyster bar you are talking about starts with a Ge; a Ga; or Co. I've three in the area you are describing and would like to know which one you guys are dscribing, although I'm sure we will try all three.

DuneAHH

Beach Fanatic
For those with adventurous appetites, The Curry Pot serves some good Indian-style groceries! Not expensive, not pretentious, but authentic home-made food cooked by an Indian husband and wife team. Try it, you'll like it!

Where is The Curry Pot??? I love good Indian food, but it's so hard to come by in this entire region. Periodically I used to drive all the way to Lynnhaven to eat lunch at The Taj (which was the best I'd found anywhere near this area) until they closed.

catmoney

Beach Comber
May 23, 2009
I found the oyster place in Millville and it was wonderful. I now know why you were keeping it a secret. We also tried a place in Panama City called Gandys Oyster Bar and it was also excellent.

jbtcardfan

Beach Comber
Apr 19, 2009
Where is The Curry Pot??? I love good Indian food, but it's so hard to come by in this entire region. Periodically I used to drive all the way to Lynnhaven to eat lunch at The Taj (which was the best I'd found anywhere near this area) until they closed.

the north side of Frontage Beach Rd. in Panama City Beach across the street from one of the big high rises containing a place called Pineapple Willy's in a small strip shopping center between Pompano's and another restaurant called The Curry Pot.