• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
393 and 98 this morning there are four fuel trucks all standing around talking. Meanwhile the gas station there only has premium available. Saw several stations on the way to Ft Walton last night that had deisel only including all three TT when you first hit Ft Walton before the Brooks Bridge.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
So much for the theory that you're paying more for gas in the south...I'm in the Midwest and prices in my area jumped from $3.69 for regular to $4.10 over the weekend. I paid $4.27 for premium (that I really don't believe my vehicle has to have but it is recommended). And to make matters worse, I was on EMPTY :bang::bang::bang:!

My understanding on the Premium Only Recommendation is that Premium is not required to make your car run. It is only required to give your car the horsepower of which the automaker brags. I believe they call it "better performance," at your expense. So, unless you need that additional 30-50 hp, you are probably good to forgo the pricey premium gasoline.

Disclaimer, I am not an auto mechanic, but I did own an Acura Legend for ten years which required premium gasoline only, and probably filled it with regular gas 80% of the time. It was noted in the car's handbook, that it could run on regular gas.

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
My understanding on the Premium Only Recommendation is that Premium is not required to make your car run. It is only required to give your car the horsepower of which the automaker brags. I believe they call it "better performance," at your expense. So, unless you need that additional 30-50 hp, you are probably good to forgo the pricey premium gasoline.

Disclaimer, I am not an auto mechanic, but I did own an Acura Legend for ten years which required premium gasoline only, and probably filled it with regular gas 80% of the time. It was noted in the car's handbook, that it could run on regular gas.

I'd be careful about that. We had an Audi about 5 years ago (new, not used) and I chose to use regular gas instead of the recommended premium for several months. It didn't take long before I was having some major problems with the engine. Mr. JR and the Audi mechanics grilled me on the type of gas I was using and I finally had to fess up. Boy, was that a costly adventure. :blush:

bluemtnrunner

Beach Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
393 and 98 this morning there are four fuel trucks all standing around talking.

I can't let this one go....WHAT were the trucks talking about for all that time? :dunno:
Can trucks sit around and talk? I think they are kind of stuck standing on all 18. :rotfl:

See why my kids hate me.

Last edited:

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
They were probably wondering what they were doing all the way down here with no gas on their backs. Perhaps they were all waiting to fill up to go home and discovered the station had no deisel.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
Or they were all waiting to see which gas station was going to be the high bidder for what they were hauling. :shock:

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Boy, I sure did learn my lesson - I didn't feed into the panic, so I will now be forced to fill my vehicle with $3.69 a gallon gas. <sarcasm off>

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Most cars that require premium will run just as well on mid grade, but usually if you use regular the MPG goes down so that offsets the savings.