Wild Hogs Making a Mess at Eden State Gardens!

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by Jdarg, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

We are going over today for a walk, and we will conduct hog surveillance while we are there.;-)

Does anybody know if we are allowed to take dogs to Eden? I have looked all over the website and can't find a mention of a dog rule. We thought we should take a fearless boar hunting hounds with us for protection.:floor:

2. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Hog report. Everybody can rest easy now- crisis over.:floor:

We went for a walk at Eden today, and according to the park ranger, the hogs have not been around for about a week- apparently they root out areas, eat, and move on. The park ranger was not too worked up about them, and said we would never see them anyway- they would hear us coming and take off.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  3. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

absolutely nothing to worry about. old story.:wave:

4. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Oink oink!:floor:

All we saw were LOTS of picnicking snowbirds. They were having a ball! Eden was very crowded today.

5. 5thGenFlo

5thGenFlo Beach Lover

Could Hogs at Eden be an adverse affect of urban sprawl? Could the answer to fighting back against nature's liberation of domesticated property really be a weenie roast?

6. InletBchDweller

InletBchDweller SoWal Insider

JDarg, glad all this was nothing to worry about. If not then you could have earned your Courageous petal!!!:lol:

7. mikecat adjuster

mikecat adjuster Beach Fanatic

I hike in the state forest trails in Seagrove nearly daily. I see tracks of Bobcat and Coyote all over the place and the other day I saw a dead coyote being fed on by vultures. I love nature and there is plenty here. I have been looking for snakes on and off the main trails but have yet to see any. I love photographing wildlife. I hope we can always find ways to co-exist with nature, but I know that is rare, especially when conflict occurs. The Western Diamondback Rattlesnake is nearly always killed when seen and subsequently this beautiful creature has been pushed to the brink.

Sorry for rambling, but I love nature. But it is definatley important to know the dangers, so thanks for starting this post.

8. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

One last hog update. yesterday, I took a few Daisy girl scouts on a little hike on Eden's nature trail. We didn't see any hogs. We DID see crazy squirrels, racoon, possum, and deer tracks, a huge spider, cool mushrooms, owl and coyote poop, and now, thanks to Kate, the other girls know all about Skunkapes. Unfortunately, I don't think I can find merit badges for Skunkapes or poop- the 2 most popular topics.:lol:

There were many trees tied with colored tape- big huge healthy looking trees tied with blue, others with yellow, pink, and green. Does anyone know the color significance, or if there some sort of project going on in the woods at Eden?

9. ShallowsNole

ShallowsNole Beach Fanatic

If you were traipsing in the woods between Eden and 395, south of and parallel to Gilmore Rd, the flags may have represented the proposed route of the new road from 395 to Eden. Friends of Eden is supposed to go through and flag trees / features that must not be disturbed.

10. Teresa

yes and yes.

5th gen, any relation to 6th gen? just wondering. :wave:

11. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

http://www.floridastateparks.org/information/faq.cfm

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]<B>
    </B>
    [/FONT]

12. Minnie

Minnie Beach Fanatic

Kurt, thank so much for sharing that. I had tried to find it and was not successful. We will be down with our lab and she loves a new walk and we are very responsible pet walkers and would want to know the local restrictions.

13. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

What the heck is a "non-human primate of the genus Cebus"? :dunno:

"Registered service animals" couldn't have covered all the possible scenarios? We had to get specific about which monkeys are and are not allowed? :blink:

Wasn't aware there were humans outside the "homo" genus, but I'm so glad Florida's parks are prepared just in case! :D

14. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Here's the deal.

Took the dogs to Eden, on leash.

We walked. We were not attacked by hogs.

Nobody pooped, therefore no cleanup.

It was fun.

Went home.

The end.

:wave:

15. Teresa

that is truly amazing. seriously. dogs love to do a big stinky just for the heck of it whenever you take them anywhere outside of their own little yard. right when they find just the right spot, in the great wide open, front and center, close to people so they can have a proper audience.

16. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

17. 5thGenFlo

5thGenFlo Beach Lover

No kin to 6thGen. I will confess however, when trying to come up with a name for the blogisphere, I caught a glimpse of his name and it helped to inspire me.

18. 021590

021590 Beach Crab

just so you know we didnt build on their land those hogs arent native to this area or even the us they came over from europe in the early 1900's and are considered a nusance.

19. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

WOW... way to chime in kinda late on a thread. Most folks on this board know the history of hogs/pigs in this area. The more we develop, the more we see of them. They have been in this area, just about as long, if not longer, than white Anglo-Saxon humans. There is documentation of them in the area when Grayton Beach was first inhabited.
    P.S. punctuation is your friend.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  20. grace

grace Beach Fanatic

has anyone seen the show on discovery (i think) on the wild hog epidemic? what a destructive little creature. and they multiply like crazy.