Wild Hogs Making a Mess at Eden State Gardens!

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by Jdarg, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

2. elgordoboy

elgordoboy Beach Fanatic

That was a horrble movie!

3. Alicia Leonard

Alicia Leonard SoWal Insider

In the little town with FUN in the middle
    :lol:

They have some over at the college as well. We were out in the parking lot behind the arts center after rehearsal one night when one lumbered across the street in front of us. Well over 250 pounds and snorting like it was in very foul mood. It was Huge!!:yikes:

Wildlife people finally caught up with it a few days later.

Be careful. They are not prone to be afraid of people like some wildlife, at least in my experience.

4. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Amen aleonard, be very careful around these. If they feel you are between or about to harm there young they will attack. Take a gun and aim between the eyes.

5. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

wow. I have always heard of the wild pigs around here, but just assumed they were descendants of area farm pigs.

wouldn't want to run into a pack of these. they must lay low during the day.

6. chrisv

chrisv Beach Fanatic

[​IMG]

7. ShallowsNole

ShallowsNole Beach Fanatic

:yikes:

This little piggy went to market, this little piggy stayed home...

8. Dave Rauschkolb

Dave Rauschkolb Beach Fanatic

Are they wearing helmets?

9. kathydwells

kathydwells Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname

And toting spray paint cans? ;-)

10. Arkiehawg

Arkiehawg Beach Fanatic

I nor my family had anything to do with this.......:D

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  11. wrobert

wrobert Beach Fanatic

They had to do a change order on Freeport High School when it was built to rework where they dumped the garbage behind the cafeteria due to the wild hog problem.

12. Alicia Leonard

Alicia Leonard SoWal Insider

In the little town with FUN in the middle
    I thought at first it was a big black bear until we got a better look at it. Much bigger and meaner that a normal little piggy.:yikes:

13. bchmamas_fav

bchmamas_fav Beach Comber

Well, you know, maybe if we hadnt build on their land, or run them off of the property that they were living comfortably on, then we wouldn't have this problem. I'm no tree huggin person, but its sad when people are amazed when they see wildlife around here, and they think it is some sort of problem. I swear to you, if we don't bother them, they have nbo reason to bother us. However, it is very true that if youy do confront one of the pigs, especially the boars, because they are most territorial, you better hope you can run faster than it or your friend, because they can mess you up good.

14. ShallowsNole

ShallowsNole Beach Fanatic

Your theory has merit, except in this particular case. The house and grounds of Eden State Park were built over 100 years ago.

They are plentiful near the Choctawhatchee River. One of my friends raises Catahoula Curs, and she and her husband run the dogs near Bruce/Red Bay, hunting hogs. They have invited me to tag along, but this is not an activity that I care for. However, their freezer does stay full.

15. Minnie

Minnie Beach Fanatic

Wild hogs are and can be extremely dangerous especially females with a litter and boars as stated. If these are not wild boars, then I would not be as concerned.

Jdarg I would definitely check with the Park about safety concerns.

Probably making lots of noise would discourage them from approaching your group and with a group of young girls, I guess that is a guarantee.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  16. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet Beach Fanatic

Not exactly the case. They are not native. Imported, by people, and yes they are a problem in the longleaf pine ecosystem. They love young long leaf pines, one of their favorite foods, and they eat more than their share.
    Likewise coyotes - they have migrated here from out west because we killed off the red wolves and they are filling that predator niche.
    Wildlife becomes a problem when it ends up somewhere other than its natural, native habitat.

17. wrobert

wrobert Beach Fanatic

Dare I say an annual Wild Hog B-B-Q cook off as a fundraiser for the Gardens is off limits?

18. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Wow- have you had an actual run-in with wild hogs?:dunno::shock: What happened?

19. Minnie

Minnie Beach Fanatic

They are actually usually more afraid of you. I think based on the article you linked that the ones at the park are more of the feral pig instead of wild boars. Wild boars are extremely dangerous.

I used to live in East Tn. and in the mountains wild boars are as prevalent as bears and much more dangerous.

I would check with the park and ask about any problems. I can't imagine they would allow them to remain if they were serious threat to visitors. I would just be sure to let the girls know that if you encounter any, they are not cute little pigs.

20. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

:funn:

why not?

jdarg - do not worry one extra second about these wild pigs. this is something I've heard about around here, now and then, for years and years. no one ever sees them. they forage at night. they can truly tear up your yard - they have been a nuisance in Grayton Beach and other areas - but I have never ever heard of them bothering anyone. especially during the day. especially at Eden State Park where rangers and visitors keep the place pretty busy with activity.

pleeeze. while an interesting story, it is nothing to fear. good lord, if I thought about all the snakes just outside my door, not to mention the gators, I would never leave the house or allow my kid to play out doors.

go to eden and let the rangers tell you some great stories about the park and the wildlife around there. hey, the cheeseball horror movie "Frogs" made at Eden State Park was only a movie.