• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Go to your favorite stretch of beach at 12 noon central time (1PM Eastern) and help protect it by drawing a line in the sand!

Please post here which beach you are headed to.

Post from the beach on your smart phone - bookmark www.SoWal.com/bb

Let us know afterward what you saw.

Email photos to us - or post on this thread, or the gallery.
Your photos may be published in news sites and publications anywhere in the world, including SoWal.com - include your name if you would like credit.

Thanks Everyone!!! :D Time to draw the line!

nodrilling.jpg

Thanks to Dave Rauschkolb for his vision, leadership, and energy!

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I know there will be a lot of folks on the beach today. Seaside and Grayton are going to be packed. Be prepared to walk awhile if you plan to join hands. Don't forget the accesses at Van Ness Butler Park between Seaside and WaterColor, and Grayton Beach State Park. Go to your favorite stretch of beach and help protect it!

Tips of the Day…

1. Use only approved beach accesses and parking.
  2. Create as long a line or as many lines as you wish.
  3. Be courteous and respectful to those who disagree with your view.
  4. …enjoy yourself, it's the beach!
Hands Across The Sand | A gathering of citizens of Florida to prevent near shore oil drilling in Florida's coastal waters.

Hands Across The Sand | Facebook

Hands Across Sand (HandsAcrossSand) on Twitter

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Many thanks to Dave Rauschkolb for his vision to make this happen.

Hundreds of volunteers have worked tirelessly for four months on this campaign, but without Dave's vision, tenacity, and unselfishness it would not be happening today.

He is #1 in my book! See you on the beach.

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
Today's email from Sierra Club. I doubt we'll have counter protesters here, but good info in any case. Note the suggestion to contact US Senators.

Thank you for signing up to join Hands Across the Sand at your local beach today. You are one of 750 Sierra Club members who responded to our email last Saturday morning and told us you?d be going to a Florida beach today. 149 of you also told us you?d be shooting video on the beach. It?s going to be beautiful day to join hands: clear (if cool) weather, making the recommended color of the day: black clothes, feel pretty good in the sun.

If you?re not sure where to go, just go to this link: http://www.handsacrossthesand.com/hands-across-the-sand-locations.php and click on one of the 5 regions in the map of Florida to go to a list of all Hands events in your part of the state. Your beach?s event coordinator and how he or she can be reached is listed there. There may also a Facebook page link for your beach event with even more details.

Remember, show up at 1:00 to be ready to join Hands at 1:30 til 1:45. (or 12:00 & 12:30 ? 12:45 for you Panhandle folks on central time).

The Sierra Club recognized there is a possibility of counter-protestors attempting to disrupt these events on our public beaches. If such a thing happens where you are, follow these 3 steps IF counter protesters attempt to interfere with our event:

a.Do not debate or interact with counter protesters.

b.Don?t get into a shouting match with counter protesters.

c.Follow the instructions of the coordinator or the person designated as peacekeeper if a difficult situation takes place.

Regardless what a disruptor might do, remember: NO FIGHTING. That cannot be the story. If it happens, that will be the headline of what the media reports. Please do all you can to ensure that doesn?t happen at your beach.

If you volunteered to shoot video today at Hands Across the Sands, or would now like to do so, here?s what we ask you put in your message, and why:

Most people don?t realize it but the threat from Big Oil is even more serious today in Washington than Tallahassee . That?s why we ask that you direct your message to our U.S. Senators George LeMieux and Bill Nelson. The U.S. Senate will soon consider a climate bill to ramp up clean renewable energy to create 2 million new jobs, but there is a grave risk that the Senate will also include oil drilling off Florida ?s coast.

So in your video message, please ask our Senators to ?support a strong climate bill that gives Florida 100,000 new solar & wind energy jobs, while saving our state?s 1,000,000 coastal tourism jobs from the threat of oil drilling off our coasts. We knowBill Nelson already is fighting to make sure we get such a bill; he?s all for clean energy and is leading the opposition to more drilling in the Sneate. So thank Bill Nelson for being America ?s champion against Big Oil.

But George LeMieux needs to hear from you. He has a key swing vote for a strong climate bill with no drilling. Now is the time to make sure he knows his constituents (that?s you & everbody on the beach with you) want him to support a strong climate bill with NO drilling. Clean Energy Jobs Now! No Drilling off Florida ?s Beaches!

Preface your message by introducing yourself, who you?re with and where you are. Keep the message brief ? a minute or 2 at the most.

Please send your content to http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=157177 Mark it private ? you?ll still be able to share it with me & 24 others. If you don?t have a you tube account, sign up for one. We?ll review all the video submitted next week and deliver it to Senators LeMieux?s & Nelson?s Tampa offices. Get it in to us in the next 2-3 days and we?ll have time to make sure our Senators? people see it and can pass on your message before they go back to work Feb. 22nd.

Next week the US Senate is on break. Why not go by the nearest offices of your US Senators, Bill Nelson & George LeMieux yourself and also share your message, and video, with them at the office? Here?s the links to find an office in your part of Florida :

Click here for Bill Nelson?s office locations: http://billnelson.senate.gov/contact/offices.cfm

Click here for George LeMieux?s office locations: http://lemieux.senate.gov/public/?p=OfficeLocations

Thanks for being part of Hands Across the Sand and for making the effort to create this special, very improtant message at such a critical time for our state?s future. We?ll make sure your voice is heard!

Let us know how it goes, and what you?re able to do next week to follow on today with your Senators LeMieux & Nelson.

Phil Compton, Regional Representative, Sierra Club Florida Regional Office
111 2nd Ave. NE, Ste. 1001 , St. Petersburg , FL 33701
727-824-8813, ext. 303 813-841-3601: cell

Meet me atFlorida Climate Crossroads:
http://action.sierraclub.org/site/PageServer?pagename=GRP_FLA_CC&autologin=true

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
Wow Miss Critter - such excellent information! Thank you so much for posting. I am going to follow up on it!

I plan on dashing over to either BMB access or S.Bluff while taking a timed break from staining our concrete floor! Bringing camera - I love taking pics :D

Thanks again
G

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
A Message from Dave

Good morning! I woke up two hours early, wide awake thinking about all we have all accomplished in the past three and one half months. Whatever happens today and in the future I want to thank all of you for joining hands with me to make a difference regarding this important issue for Florida's future.

We are fighting for the protection of our coastal legacy to pass on to our children and grandchildren. If we don't succeed, the pipelines will come, the rigs will come, the refineries will come and surely the oil spills will follow and our beautiful waterways and coastline will be forever changed. We have a very good chance to change all that. We are protesting to protect so much we value.

We have an opportunity to preserve our future. Florida's treasures are our past, our present and if we succeed our future. These are the elements that define our Florida. Our beaches, our waterways, our mangroves, our rivers, our springs, our Everglades; this beautiful, amazing wonder that Florida Is. We are fighting for the soul of OUR Florida.

There is a minority of Floridians who have no problem with selling out Florida's soul. Unfortunately, some in that minority, our Legislators and Governor are in a position to forever change our Florida. The most important message to convey to your fellow HANDS on the beach today is for them to write their Legislators!

I expect this issue to come up in this Legislative session (Dean Cannon said it would in the recent Orlando Sentinel article) but it is doubtful it will be voted on and passed any time soon. Now that our network of HANDS are in place the simplicity of this protest enables us to repeat it whenever necessary and it will certainly grow. Be prepared to invite Florida back to the beaches at a future date. It's such a simple, yet powerful a statement.

We must make any Legislator who voted for this and any Legislator who might vote for it think twice in fear of their jobs. The only way to do that is to flood their offices with faxes, emails and phone calls during this Legislative Session and in the future. We have to make this the most unpopular issue in their Legislative lives so much they, hopefully won't even breath the word OIL. Please implore all on the beach today to take action. This fight is just beginning today and Florida's soul is at stake.

On a much lighter note, It 's a beautiful day in Florida, Sunshine all over the State! Good luck and have fun, after all, it's the beach!

Through our coordinated efforts we will win this fight! I lifted this passage from the HANDS home page. When I wrote these words in early October I never imagined how much it would actually come true. "Let us share our knowledge, energies and passion for protecting our waterways and beaches from the devastating effects of oil drilling. Thank you! Thank you all!!

Dave Rauschkolb
Founder, Hands Across The Sand