• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

AndrewG

Beach Fanatic
Mar 10, 2010
Any updates?

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I heard that the child died. I can't go into what my feelings are about the ignorance and arrogance that people along 30-A display. Everybody (especially pedestrians and bicyclers) have to be aware of all the difficulties we all have traveling on 30-A. No, every automobile driver cannot see every pedestrian and every bicycler who wants to cross the road, at any moment! Everyone has to use some common sense. People in cars are doing what they normally do in all segments of our country. Please, please, do not think for a moment that the traffic rules that apply in Atlanta and Nashville do not apply here in Seagrove.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I was on 30A this morning about 11 or so, going East after turning down 395 from 98--it was a disaster waiting to happen. People, adults and children on bikes, not paying any attention to the vehicular traffic; adults driving huge trucks and SUVs while talking on the phone; and truly stupid people passing on the right hand side when traffic would back up.

I am going to stay off 30A as much as possible until September.

And, in front of our condo in Seacrest last night, someone had dug a six foot long, four foot wide, four foot deep hole on the beach. It took my granddaughter and me almost two hours to fill it back in! She (6 yrs.) wants to make signs that say, if you dig the hole, fill it back in. She found two boys who said their brothers dug the hole, and she said don't you know about turtles....and people breaking their legs if they fall in this hole in the dark. She then asked them to help her fill it in; and they just laughed at her.

My heart goes out to the people involved in this accident... I just wish we had tourists who were more careful and better educated about the beach.
:sosad:

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
One of the things i found to be different here...you really have to watch the pedestrian traffic. When you come from somewhere where there is little to no foot traffic, it's one of the things that, as a driver, you really have to pay attention to here.

One of the reasons we don't get around much either. ..Just too many people on the road.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
One of the things i found to be different here...you really have to watch the pedestrian traffic. When you come from somewhere where there is little to no foot traffic, it's one of the things that, as a driver, you really have to pay attention to here.

One of the reasons we don't get around much either. ..Just too many people on the road.

You said something very profound. The majority of our vacationers have never been around such a "pedestrian proud" enviornment as we enjoy here in South Walton. My gut feeling is these vacationers have be educated about the fact that regular traffic: cars, delivery trucks, and, just plain, you and me, have to use this highway, too. My sympathy goes out to the bicycler and the family involved in this tragedy. My sympathy goes out to the driver, just trying to get down the road.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove

I'm thinking the relatively cool weather has contributed to the scary plague of bikes. In the summer, all the vacationers are at the beach. This week, they're all out pedalling. I can't recall seeing anything like it. The path from 395 to Eastern Lake looks like a freeway at some times of the day. It's scary to drive along there.

So sorry for all involved - the boy, his folks, and the driver.

bsheffy

Beach Crab
Jul 15, 2007
Very sad and unfortunate but doesn't surprise me. One of the first things I was taught as a child was to look both ways before crossing the street.

North Lake

Beach Lover
Apr 15, 2007
My heart goes out not only to the boy on the bike, but to the driver of the truck as well. I got there on the way home in the line of traffic about 5 pm; took the detour the deputies had set up around Cassine Garden; and saw the driver of the truck sitting on the tailgate of the truck with his head in his hands. I know it was devastating to him as well. He was in uniform, on the job, driving a fairly large delivery truck, so I don't suspect driving under the influence, lack of familiarity with the road, or any of the other factors that usually attribute the accident to the driver of the vehicle. I don't know the facts since I wasn't there, but suspect that the bicyclist somehow got out into the road before he could react. Somehow, we have got to get a grip on shared usage of this road that we all love or endure. I respectfully submit that a little personal or parental responsibility goes a long way, with age and riding or driving experience taken into some serious consideration.

SurferGirl

Beach Comber
Jan 7, 2010
I was also about 30 or so cars back right after it happened.... we turned around and went thru watercolor and that's when we saw Lifeflight. It scares me to death to think about my 13 year old riding down 30a. I just can't let him do it if it involves crossing the road. But I do have to say that watercolor is so bad with kids on bikes... after we saw the accident on 30a, we were in watercolor when two 6 year olds just flew right out in front of us. Thank God we were going extremely slow... and meanwhile the parents are standing around and say nothing b/c they did not even notice.... I do not get it. Do they ride bikes in the middle of the road in Atlanta? Do the parents pay no attention to their children in Atlanta or wherever? I have prayed for whoever it was hit today b/c I didn't know who it was but knew it was bad when I saw Lifeflight and I'll continue to do so. Meanwhile, please please please ..... we know it is vacation but "being careful" applies everywhere.... it just is not worth it.