• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Koa

Beach Fanatic
Jul 17, 2010
awaiting trial and conviction, I'm sure, before making promises. (innocent until PROVEN guilty.

avalon

Beach Fanatic
Apr 21, 2008
Seagrove
Call CNN right now

Publicity of the bad kind is our best weapon against this type of abuse. Ebro park claims ignorance and no responsibility because the kennels were leased. Something is really fishy here and deserves some REAL investigation. Not just the perp that was arrested, the park as a whole should be turned inside out to untill we know the whole story. I just don't believe that this creep acted without anybody at the park knowing that something was amiss. My husband has spoken with the racing commision and the inspector. There excuse for lack of knowlege was "the door was locked". Pathetic! National coverage will bring well deserved heat to the industry in general, and Ebro in particular. Call the CNN news line at 404-827-1500.

avalon

Beach Fanatic
Apr 21, 2008
Seagrove
this is marty. the EBRO CARD ROOM is run at the same location, same people making money from the dog racing make money from the card room. this place should be boycotted along with the dog races at ebro. i know some sowalers are regulars there. they should be ashamed to return to the ebro card room.

rolling dune

Beach Lover
Apr 24, 2008
blue mtn.
Me again...For those unfamiliar with the "sport" of Greyhound racing, most are "retired" by the age of 3. Although some are fortunate to be adopted into loving homes, there are untold thousands that are destroyed each year. They are treated as a commodity. When they loose too often, they are no longer useful. There are decent trainers and then you have someone like this who comes along and exposes the industry for what it really is. I did meet a trainer at Ebro years ago that would contact me when he had dogs who were no longer moneymakers and he would meet me at the Ebro Motel and sneak them to me to go to an adoption program in Atlanta when I lived there. He is the one who told me about the convenience of the river.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
a protest is scheduled for 1:30 sat. 11/6 (tomorrow) at the track

this is marty. the EBRO CARD ROOM is run at the same location, same people making money from the dog racing make money from the card room. this place should be boycotted along with the dog races at ebro. i know some sowalers are regulars there. they should be ashamed to return to the ebro card room.

You take pictures for a living, so do paparazzi, should we protest and boycott you?

Last edited:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Me again...For those unfamiliar with the "sport" of Greyhound racing, most are "retired" by the age of 3. Although some are fortunate to be adopted into loving homes, there are untold thousands that are destroyed each year. They are treated as a commodity. When they loose too often, they are no longer useful. There are decent trainers and then you have someone like this who comes along and exposes the industry for what it really is. I did meet a trainer at Ebro years ago that would contact me when he had dogs who were no longer moneymakers and he would meet me at the Ebro Motel and sneak them to me to go to an adoption program in Atlanta when I lived there. He is the one who told me about the convenience of the river.

Why would he sneak them to you? Based on your accounts why wouldn't the owners/trainers leave them in the parking lot?

I understand that there is a stigma associated with racing dogs. However, at the same time, I have to ask have you ever walked a greyhound without a leash? These dogs are bread to do what they do and it's even more cruel to entrust them to a 'forever home' that kennels them or lives in an area where the dog cannot run. It's akin to taking a chef out of a restaurant and serving them Hamburger Helper for the rest of there lives.

This entire incident was the work of one individual who went out of his way to cover up what he was doing.

The management at Ebro is distraught over this, not due to the negative publicity, but due to the treatment of the dogs. They are in the process of correcting the supervision of the dogs.

If you don't agree then by all means continue to raise hell and protest, keep in mind that Ebro is one of the largest employers in that area and many families will be affected by your snap judgment.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
Why would he sneak them to you? Based on your accounts why wouldn't the owners/trainers leave them in the parking lot?

I understand that there is a stigma associated with racing dogs. However, at the same time, I have to ask have you ever walked a greyhound without a leash? These dogs are bread to do what they do and it's even more cruel to entrust them to a 'forever home' that kennels them or lives in an area where the dog cannot run. It's akin to taking a chef out of a restaurant and serving them Hamburger Helper for the rest of there lives.

This entire incident was the work of one individual who went out of his way to cover up what he was doing.

The management at Ebro is distraught over this, not due to the negative publicity, but due to the treatment of the dogs. They are in the process of correcting the supervision of the dogs.

If you don't agree then by all means continue to raise hell and protest, keep in mind that Ebro is one of the largest employers in that area and many families will be affected by your snap judgment.

I love you, but I have to respectively disagree with you on this. We had three Greyhounds and all of them were very laid back and never wanted "run". They were let off leash in our yard and never tried to "run". Hell, they were sick of running. They were made to do it so much at the track! The were content to lay around and just be loved by their humans, and love them back which they did with such gratitude in their hearts!

"A very common misconception regarding Greyhounds is that they are hyperactive. In retired racing Greyhounds, this is usually never the case. Greyhounds can live comfortably as apartment dogs, as they do not require much space and sleep close to 18 hours per day. In fact, due to their calm temperament, Greyhounds can make better "apartment dogs" than smaller, more active breeds."

The management at Ebro should be upset about what happened with these dogs. I am sure if they dug a little more they will find others who have mistreated and neglected their animals as well.

I hate that the people who work there will be hurt, I hate they have to work there. But, I feel very strongly that dog racing should be illegal and I will never waiver from that. Keep the card room open, but quit the dog racing!

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
My friend and I are going to the Rally at Ebro today with our two Grey's and to my knowledge it begins at 1:00. And everything that was said here is true about Greyhounds. They make absolutely wonderful pets and are so grateful for the love and care you send their way. Honey is our first but would do it again in a heartbeat. We have owned several breeds over the years but in my opinion, Greyhounds are the best.
Do you know this monster Williams has been a Greyhound trainer for 17 years!!! Yes, SEVENTEEN years and he also has dogs in Alabama currently and has two brothers who are trainers as well. Makes me wonder what happened to all the dogs that were in his care over his 17 year career but I don't want to go there. He was also in trouble with authorities twice for drugging his dogs and his license SHOULD have been pulled then too but it wasn't. He is the scum of the earth and frankly, they should keep him on a special diet in prison. No food, no water, only duct tape!!!