Ebro Greyhounds

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by rolling dune, Nov 4, 2010.

1. tsutcli

tsutcli Beach Fanatic

I own a Greyhound and have a few friends that do also. I find it hilarious Scooterbug that you do NOT believe that Greyhounds are inactive and make great apartment dogs. There is a reason they call them "40 mile an hour couch potatoes" and you won't find another breed that is so totally laid back and low maintenance. Come on folks, lets hear from some other Greyhound owners out there to set the record straight!

2. beachmouse

beachmouse Beach Fanatic

My friend who had a pair always said they were about 98% couch potato, but every so often loved to go out in their (smallish fenced) backyard and tear it up in tight circles as fast as they could corner for what seemed like forever.

3. shellak

shellak Beach Fanatic

i have owned a greyhound since march, 2005. i have taken her to bark park on a number of occasions, and all she does is one lap around the perimeter. she grazes on the grass the rest of the time. she sleeps 80% of the time, her choice. she has her moments when she gets excited and does what i call a "dance" but please do not confuse these dogs with labs or other dogs that needs tons of exercise. if you have the chance, go to the GPAEC website, our local greyhound rescue group, and learn more about these amazing animals. stereotyping them because they were "racers" only hurts their chances of adoption. we have a small house and large dog, and it works out just fine. it's really important not to spread misinformation about any breed. thanks.

4. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

I'm not a vet, but in humans, over sleeping or extended periods of sleeping is usually a sign of depression.

5. kathydwells

kathydwells Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname

IMHO, they probably are catching up on long lost sleep after spending long hours in cramped kennels, and are deprived of social contact. I am sure it isn't very quiet in these conditions.

They spend the majority of their lives in confinement-stacked in double -decker cages in warehouse-style kennels for up to twenty or more hours a day at the racetrack. The cages are just large enough for the dogs to stand in. Most of the enclosures are not heated or air-conditioned. The dogs suffer during severe weather temperatures.

I think they are pretty much over their depression when they find a home that will love them, care for them, and just let them be. Even if it does meaning sleeping most of the time. They deserve it after what they have been through in their young lives.

6. sunspotbaby

sunspotbaby SoWal Insider

Dogs are as different and unique as people. people are posting their experiences with the same breed of dog. Of course those experiences are different, because the Dogs were different, as were the people.

They are all different, just like us.

I sure hope dogs don't see people as their worst nighmare based on the actions of one person.

7. Alicia Leonard

Alicia Leonard SoWal Insider

In the little town with FUN in the middle
  8. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

I can't believe that he let the food Ebro provided for the dogs rot rather than feed it to them! :eek:

9. Franny

Franny Beach Fanatic

My thoughts exactly, how could they have not known what was going on right under their stinking noses. I hope and pray they shut down the park.

10. kathydwells

kathydwells Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname

11. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

No one has mentioned the kid races at Ebro.

12. njackie

njackie Beach Lover

wow, I just feel so badly about all of this, we had no idea the dogs were being mistreated, we look forward to Ebro each summer, my grandchildren love the "kid races," and the people were nice with the ice cream. it is all too horrific and we won't go back.

13. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

I can verify this. I have known a couple and they were very calm and sweet but would run when allowed. Kind of like kids. :D

14. shellak

shellak Beach Fanatic

yes, in HUMANS. i would encourage you to do some research on greyhounds before making all kinds of erroneous assertions about them. they are frequently referred to as "45 mph couch potatoes" for a reason. they do not need a lot of exercise. as you stated, you are NOT a vet.

15. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

Did you guys read the link someone posted? IMO the way these dogs are typically treated EVEN WHEN REGULATED is definitely cruel and unnecessary. Several states and countries have already banned it - I think Florida should too.

16. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

It was an opinion/observation. If grey hounds behaved like you no one would be concerned about their welfare.

17. Em

Em Beach Fanatic

I haven't seen a greyhound for several years, until this afternnon! I saw a couple walking their two greyhounds in WaterColor. Very mild mannered, well behaved dogs. Both dogs had their tales tucked under their legs. I couldn't help but think that they were probably rescues.

18. rolling dune

rolling dune Beach Lover

Murray, most if not all that we see in public are rescues. The tail tucking is a common stance for this hound, however when really really excited and happy they can clear a coffee table with one swipe. No tall candles at tail level for these guys. Just had a thought...has anyone ever seen a greyhound advertised for sale or at a shelter? I have only seen them taken in by the numerous rescue groups who are so very dedicated to this breed and determined to find them a good home.

19. ktschris

ktschris Beach Fanatic

Most greyhound rescue orgs request that if you cannot keep the dog for any reason, that you return it to them. The shelters in our area will call one of the rescue groups if a grey is brought to the shelter.

20. tsutcli

tsutcli Beach Fanatic

There are two Greyhounds now at Alaqua. I may contact GPA/EC about that and they are the organization that started the ball rolling on the monster of a trainer, Williams. I am in contact with a gentleman who is on the Board of GPA/EC since we got our Greyhound from that organization. I cannot say enough good things about them and they have placed just this year over 700 dogs from Ebro and Pensacola Greyhound track. And that is saying something in this current economy when most people are getting rid of their pets! Thanks for the above two posts and will just let them know.