• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Mike Jones

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
@Misty - take a lesson from Danny. You can ask tough questions while showing respect and using manners. Using words like idiots and dirty is extreme.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
@Misty - take a lesson from Danny. You can ask tough questions while showing respect and using manners. Using words like idiots and dirty is extreme.

If career politicians in this county showed their constituents that same respect and manners you suggest some of them deserve this entire conversation wouldn't exist.

lazin&drinkin

Beach Lover
Apr 13, 2010
I agree that Fletcher is the only candidate who has chosen to respond. Unfortunately, he doesn't know who he crawled in bed with when he accepted those political mailers and that's a problem....for him and for voters.

I think most of us want answers.
Misty, I just posted a lengthy reply to your and others complaints and concerns about the nonprofit ads for Bill and Melanie on the other forum, and I'll respond a bit differently here, though in a similar vein.

I think you are a mite off base attacking Bill for crawling into bed when he accepted those mailers. The mailers largely state known facts about the candidates, not rumors. They list some goals of the candidates. Nothing reprehensible or underhanded there. Bill has stated he's happy that some group has chosen to spread his message. Since he can't do anything about it even if he knew where to start, I fail to see that as crawling into bed with "them". You seem to be conflating the idea of people ( the advocacy group doing the mailing) exercising their Constitutional right to privacy with nefarious intent. You're obviously an intelligent person, and your anger seems to have blinded you here. How, in precise terms, is it a problem for voters for a group to send out a mailer stating some pretty innocuous but verifiable true facts about candidates when what they are doing is both legal and commonplace?

Bill did not accept their mailers any more than you did. He got one in the mail, just as tens of thousands of others did. I don't know if Bill knows you or knows any of the thousands of others who voted for him last time and who, then or now, might have advocated publicly for him without identifying themselves to each and every person hearing or reading their message. Should he or any other candidate disavow those friendly voices or is he just crawling into bed with them (perhaps you?), too?

You want answers to which you are not legally entitled and which the group in question has no obligation to provide. While that law may stick in your craw, that is not the fault of Bill or Melanie. You unfairly imply nefariousness of their part when the simple application of Occam's Razor would give you the answer. This group believes Bill and Melanie will give better service to Walton County than the incumbents or the other candidates in those races. While not part of that group, I happen to agree with them. I want open, honest, competent, impartial fair and restrained government, be it local, state, or national. Nothing more, nothing less, and I feel Bill and Melanie offer a good opportunity at that. They are not the only good people in their races. I just happens to think they are the best.

You mentioned the Machiavellian possibility that this might be an underhanded reverse psychology play by backers of Mrs. Jones. I raised that same possibility in my post on the other board a few minutes ago, a post that would have better gone here.

And as respects Mike Huckabee, his support or lack thereof for Bill, Melanie or anyone else should not be a serious consideration in a decision for or against a particular candidate, in my view, at least. Each candidate should stand on his or her merits. Bill and Melanie have a great deal of merit. If Mike supports them, that is all well and good, but it does not change who they are, what their accomplishments are, or what their promise is as prospective Commissioners for this county. They both have records of honor, of accomplishment, of selflessness, of intelligence and the ability to lead others under difficult circumstances, and they both have records of serving the public good, not special interests of any ilk. I'll go with their records. You could do worse that to judge them on similar grounds. Mike may be wrong on some or a lot of things, but a stopped clock is right twice a day, like the clock or hate it

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
lazin&drinkin...I'll be brief and repetitive as I also responded to your other post.

Walton County (as backward as it still is) is NOT a 3rd world country where we have to fear retribution from our government. We don't risk being imprisoned, brutally beaten, having our fingernails or toenails removed or water boarded for our political beliefs. I understand people want change but hiding in the shadows is what people did to avoid concentration camps! Its NOT what we do as a society in America. We have nothing to hide and nothing to fear. Be LOUD and be PROUD about who and what you are and what you want to see accomplished for yourselves, your Community and who you want to see elected to govern where you live, work and play. Anything less than that is SUSPECT. The fact people want to remain in the shadows calling for reform is SUSPECT and it is NOT the way to achieve OPEN, HONEST GOVERNMENT.

catmoney

Beach Comber
May 23, 2009
I don't agree with misty on everything she posts on here. However if you want to get down to the hay, the people that put the political mailings out are against customary use. (Stevie Wonder could see that) Misty is calling them out, and I'm all for it. If that is your position just say so, and let the people decide.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I don't agree with misty on everything she posts on here. However if you want to get down to the hay, the people that put the political mailings out are against customary use. (Stevie Wonder could see that) Misty is calling them out, and I'm all for it. If that is your position just say so, and let the people decide.

Thanks, I think. :)

But please let me make myself clear. I do not know what Ms. Nipper or Mr. Fletcher's position is on customary use. Since Ms. Nipper isn't posting here chances are slim I'll find out unless someone else posts her position. Mr. Fletcher does and obviously has posted here and has had ample opportunity to express himself in that regard. For reasons know only to him he hasn't done so. I would hope that he does take the opportunity though. If he is against customary use that will assuredly be a deal breaker for me regardless of the other great causes and community service efforts he is involved in. You can be a great steward of the Community and not be cut out to be a great politician.

Our beaches are very very important to our way of life and without them it would be like taking away our ability to breath. (That's sounds odd coming from me because I haven't been to the beach since my grand baby was a toddler but I recognize the importance of them to our health and well being.) The beaches are the heart and soul of Walton County and they belong to all of us. We need to keep it that way! There are NO private beaches in Walton County!

With that said, I don't think we can do that if Chapman/Imfield are re-elected and they proved that with their vote on the recent ordinance changes that C. Jones is under the mistaken impression she single-handedly spearheaded. She could not have done what was accomplished without Ms. Meadows and Ms. Comander,

Those mailers have created suspicion and distrust (as if there wasn't enough of that already with our current BCC) and I am really having a difficult time with a "group of concerned citizen" (who we can't even say for sure are citizens of Walton County) hiding in the shadows, posting rhetoric on the 2 websites I've seen with no other meaningful content and no public dialogue allowed..

"Our Generation" flies in the face of everything that Facebook was actually created for which is to give us a sense of community, connect with friends and family and to voice our opinions on political issues and life in general! I'm not of the opinion that I want to connect with with jackasses who spew rhetoric, hide in the shadows and run dirty campaigns or attempt to destroy the campaigns of people who would otherwise have a chance to be a voice of meaningful change for all of us.

There is something dirty amiss here and it needs to be brought to the light!

Last edited:

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
The Fear Vacuum

I find it odd when some political candidates participate in a forum, FB thread or other public arena they have a tendency to comment when it suits them but when a serious issue question comes up 2 or 3 times, whether it is a subject of the thread or not, there is "radio silence." Whatever the question...for or against? If for and why, if against and why. An answer is the honorable and right thing to give potential voters. Some candidates even avoid any and every opportunity to speak with clarity when pressed to answer on their positions. Recently, one didn't even show up to an important public Candidate forum.

Having conviction for your values and positions and be willing to take a stand on issues is the right and correct thing to do if you even want a chance of being elected. Take your shot with integrity and conviction on your positions then let the chips fall where they may. Another poker analogy: if you go all in with the best hand you might not win but you have no regrets; what you have is conviction and integrity.

I can understand fully a candidates need to choose words carefully but again, an answer is the honorable and right thing to give potential voters (even if they have already answered it in other places and especially if they have not.) If I was running for office I would use every opportunity to let my potential voters know exactly what my positions are on every issue. Money and backing is a huge factor but not the most important. In the end your background, charisma, ability to communicate your positions clearly and effectively and your real and perceived integrity is what will put you in office and keep you there if you are honored with enough votes to win.

Far too many politicians operate in what I call "a fear vacuum." They are so afraid of not being elected they compromise their convictions and integrity before they even get out of the gate by being terrified of offending potential voters. I hold anyone who runs for office in high regard just for doing it at all. In my view they all start off on very high ground at that moment they announce their run for office. To me, how or if they maintain that high ground defines whether or not they get my vote. And, if they are elected whether or not they retain my vote. It is all about answers to questions. Please, just answer the questions and you will likely hold that high ground.

Last edited:

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008

How do you get that? I don't see anything about customary use on the mailings.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Dawn I think people are connecting dots and taking a guess. Customary use is the most controversial issue of this campaign cycle and people want to know an answer. These mailers are fairly innocuous but they make no mention of a position on customary use. So, combine that with other candidates stated positions, the fact that no District 5 candidate was awarded a mailer and both of them have stated unequivocal support for customary use and the rather tepid support Mr. Fletcher and Ms. Nipper have given to customary use and people have drawn conclusions. I don't know if they are right or not but I still would like to know why a Washington PAC cares about a Walton County Commission race. But I cannot fault Mr. Fletcher or Ms Nipper for "accepting" this gift. Legally they cannot coordinate with a PAC and they cannot stop a group from liking them.