• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Here is a short (and incomplete) list of some things the government already dictates to coastal lake/beachfront property owners:

-Where they can have light fixtures
-What light fixtures they can have
-The wattage and type of bulbs in those fixtures
-How many of those fixtures they can have
-How much trimming of certain trees and shrubs can occur
-What plants are allowed to be used in landscaping
-The tinting/film required on any windows or doors w/ glass in them
-How high they can build their house (overall and height from the ground)
-How close they can build to the water

And after reading that list, you are telling me that picking up abandoned items hazardous to humans and endangered species is overstepping the bounds and violating property rights?!?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I stated earlier that the current ordinance was flawed and part of the flaw is the procedure that was being followed. Items removed from both private and county owned property were being disposed of without the owner being able to retrieve items. E-mails records were filed for by hte plantif that showed horror stories of items such as Rolex watches hidden in coolers being thrown in the landfill. A tremndous amount of liability is involved with the enforcement process as implemented.

Vehicles left on right-of-way are impounded after being "tagged" and the time allowed for removal are not hauled directly to the landfill and that action only takes place on "public property".

Vehicles are not impounded on public property only, and they do not have to be tagged in order to be towed. Proper notice of towing on sign is sufficient.

So do you think the County should license beach chairs, umbrella's, Rolex watches, and tents, so that the County knows to whom the items belong, so that they give it to the correct owner of record when the supposed owner comes by to claim it.

I find it difficult to believe that someone would leave a Rolex in their cooler on the beach overnight, and if they do, either they have too much money, or not enough sense, and should be worried about other things, than their Rolex being in the dump.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Why did you build a seawall on your property and cover your necklace up ?

Oh! - I see you buried it on someone else's property without their permission - not very smart either way.
I can hardly wait for the Florida Supreme Court to tell you, me and all the other "private" beach owners with deeds created by greedy developers and realitors to sell beach front property they really didn't own that "customary use of the beach" prevails due to decades of use by ALL citizens. The court may decide otherwise and if they should, I would hope the Florida Legislature does as Oregon and Hawaii has done and declare all beaches from the toe of the dune to the Gulf as "public" land. The deeds granting such lands to beachfront property owners are flawed and have been from the git go, IMO. Its time for the government to correct the situation.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Couldn't agree more, Andy.

And in the meantime, I wonder where the personal responsibility is in all this--the "junk" left unattended on the beach is a hazard to marine and human life, in addition to the "litter" effect. Heaven forbid, we have a storm blow up unexpectedly, and some of the tent poles or umbrellas become a projectile and impale some person, or damage others' property.

Perhaps we need a "dangerous instrumentality doctrine"for things other than cars! The legislature has tried to include grocery store shopping carts in this law; maybe it's time for someone to introduce a bill to include beach junk in Walton County.

I am sure if I left something on a so-called public beach, and it became a projectile and injured one of the people who own beachfront property or damaged his house, he would be the first to file a suit.

We need to get real people! and we need some leadership in this county who will stand up to those who threaten with lawsuits!

If the deeds were corrected as Andy suggests, and if we had solid public policy on the books, then the threat of a lawsuit would be just that-- a threat.

Interested Girl

Beach Fanatic
Aug 15, 2008
I can hardly wait for the Florida Supreme Court to tell you, me and all the other "private" beach owners with deeds created by greedy developers and realitors to sell beach front property they really didn't own that "customary use of the beach" prevails due to decades of use by ALL citizens. The court may decide otherwise and if they should, I would hope the Florida Legislature does as Oregon and Hawaii has done and declare all beaches from the toe of the dune to the Gulf as "public" land. The deeds granting such lands to beachfront property owners are flawed and have been from the git go, IMO. Its time for the government to correct the situation.

Andy I purchased my beachfront lot 41 years ago. no greedy developerss existed when I purchased 220 front feet for $15,000 and my legal descrption on my deed matches the original patent deed from the Govt.

If you have a cooked deed you can easily have it corrected or simply deed access to the county.

I too wish for a ruling from the Supreme Court for that is where this will end.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
...and the Gov't stole that land from the Native Americans. It wasn't the Government's to give out to the politicians' friends. Interesting that you bring up theft. Read your history books.

Interested Girl

Beach Fanatic
Aug 15, 2008
...and the Gov't stole that land from the Native Americans. It wasn't the Government's to give out to the politicians' friends. Interesting that you bring up theft. Read your history books.

The same is true for your lot as well. You going to give yours back?

doxiegirl

Beach Comber
Nov 13, 2006
Who needs beach lighting with all of the bonfires out there. Accoding to Interested Girl, there have been 400 permitted since the first of the year.

No, I think maybe someone built a volleyball net or seawall on them and I want them back! :D

Seriously, where is the DEP and the gov't in all of this. We have to jump through major hoops about the wattage and style of lightbulbs, but circus tents and piles of sheet are okay in turtle nesting areas?

Interested Girl

Beach Fanatic
Aug 15, 2008
Who needs beach lighting with all of the bonfires out there. Accoding to Interested Girl, there have been 400 permitted since the first of the year.

No according to Sandra in code enforcement. Call her if you don't think that is accurate.

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
Full moon tide, not a storm.

050622-gulftrace-007.jpg

050622-gulftrace-012.jpg

Interested Girl said:
E-mails records were filed for by hte plantif that showed horror stories of items such as Rolex watches hidden in coolers being thrown in the landfill.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Interested Girl, is it really that important to you that people be allowed to leave their random belongings out on the beach 24/7? Why trash the beach? But more importantly, why endanger other people on the beach?

I can understand the volleyball net; it should be treated/governed the same as dune walkovers and should be allowed to stay. But I've been on the beach too many times when the wind picks up, not even during a tropical storm, and tents and umbrellas go flying; I've chased some down a few times. It's not just the turtle argument; it's a tremendous liability argument, much more than a $10,000 watch that someone values so little they leave it stting in a cooler, unattended on the beach over night. I don't even leave my $199 iPod in my chair when I go up to the condo to fix my turkey sandwich; why would someone leave their valuable items out there if they are so sacred to them? The bigger liability is that these projectile tumbleweed items can hit someone else on the beach. Who's liable then? What's the bigger damage, someone's Rolex sent to the dump due to their negligence, or a beachgoer severly injured due to a projectile 80 pound steel and canvas tent, due to some else's negligence?