• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
LVT I just want to say that I enjoyed your post and agree with you. It is so much better to post an observation or opinion without accusatory tones. Forums like this sometimes bring out the worst in our behavior and sometimes bring out the best. I am on the side of respect. I respect both sides however I am not for anyone who believes that they have bought the right to prevent other people from using the "beach". I am also not for using shame and emotion to make a point. Why not blame the developers for over developing and now we have too many people and not enough infrastructure or access to the resource. I do believe that these big mansions that block both view and access is not exactly a wonderful thing and maybe even wrong but we should let them make their point. Well they have made their point and I say that they should be more generous and sharing of the beach with all people who show good behavior. This means there would have to be some rules for good behavior because unfortunately not all people have good behavior. Wow, this seems like there was a very simple solution until emotion and principle got in the way...
In 1995, during the filming of The Truman Show, I met Cindy Meadows. She was just a visitor at that time, and was living in Orlando. WaterColor and WaterSound were just barely being planned at that time. She said she saw first hand the way St. Joe developed properties down south, especially Celebration, and she said it was going to be like a tsunami when St. Joe got cranked up. Well, guess what? She was right. She moved up and tried to use her knowledge about urban planning (master's degree) to try to help shape what this transformation would look like. She was treated like s**t by the powers that be, and was called Satan at one point. Oh well.
Hurricane Opal also hit in 1995. A lot of quaint little cabins in Grayton were wrecked, or at least pushed off their foundations. The next thing you know, there were a hundred new contractor's in town and the Monster House started sprouting in Grayton, and most anywhere.
The point of my story... oh hell, there is no point...

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
Dave, would like a serious discussion of the old English law of customary use you and the commissioners base your positions on? So far I agree it’s been a circular discussion, many ask for facts, no one offers any facts or even verifiable opinions; more distraction about aliases and “alternative” facts (that I still do not understand the definition of, you have to have facts to be an alternative to), and legally meaningless partisan polls.

Or how about what facts do you base your public position that beachfront property owners took public beachfront property by filing a $400 quiet title form? I offered facts about that. So far you nor anyone else have disputed or offered alternative facts.

Want to discuss if Vizcaya private beachfront was EVER "public" beach property? Facts here > Customary Use Will Destroy Our 30A Legacy
That's C.G.'s factual legally based Vizcaya slide at the FBFA meeting isn't it?
View attachment 76897

I answered your question “How exactly does that translate into a beachfront owner? Waiting for your answer.” Customary Use Will Destroy Our 30A Legacy

What would be your response had a beachfront owner produced a video like that? What do you think the CU social media would be like had a beachfront owner produced that video?

So far you’ve distanced yourself and the CU cause by, it’s in “poor taste”, jokes about who the shooter is (like that matters), that it is bizarre; but you have not disavowed the video for it’s message of violence, rhetorical or not. Why have you not is disavowed this C.G. video in public where the video is posted? You are quick to file a police report on an anonymous blogger that you admitted to police you felt threatened by but not a FB active shooter video you know who produced it?

I hope you take the opportunity in an open forum to answer questions that have been posted and to clear the air.

Any sane person can see it is wrong in its current incarnation or any other for that matter. Have you expressed outrage wherever it is posted? Does it serve your purpose to have renegade CU advocates making crazy videos? Perhaps. Have you personally asked him to take down the video? Have all the others expressed outrage and asked him to take it down? You and others have tried desperately to tie anyone who goes off the rails to us; including people I don't even know.

Mr. Galloway made the above photo showing the before and after of our beaches and allowed us to use it. He later posted some other bizarre posts shortly after that and I stopped communicating with him because I don't agree with his tactics. The moment I was critical of his posts he ignored me.

Do you want to talk about bizarre tactics? Harassment, nasty, cussing, personal attacks? Hackmeyer ring a bell? How about that video? Can you show me your condemnation of that behavior? Both sides have people who have their own personal way of responding to this situation. I doubt you condone some of the behavior on your side and certainly I don't to some people on the CU side. The bottom line is people react in their own ways and no one can control what people say or do. And that’s all I’ll say on the matter whoever you are.

Last edited:

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
Any sane person can see it is wrong in its current incarnation. Have you expressed outrage wherever it is posted? Does it serve your purpose to have renegade CU advocates making crazy videos? Perhaps. Have you personally asked him to take down the video? Have all the others expressed outrage and asked him to take it down? You and others have tried desperately to tie anyone who goes off the rails to us; including people I don't even know.

Mr. Galloway made the above photo showing the before and after of our beaches and allowed us to use it. He later posted some other bizarre posts shortly after that and I stopped communicating with him because I don't agree with his tactics. The moment I was critical of his posts he ignored me.

Do you want to talk about bizarre tactics? Harassment, nasty, cussing, personal attacks? Hackmeyer ring a bell? How about that video? Can you show me your condemnation of that behavior? Both sides have people who have their own personal way of responding to this situation. I doubt you condone some of the behavior on your side and certainly I don't to some people on the CU side. The bottom line is people react in their own ways and no one can control what people say or do.
Disappointing. Missed opportunity.

Auburn Fan

Beach Lover
Oct 4, 2018
Auburn
Hackmeyer ring a bell? How about that video? Can you show me your condemnation of that behavior?

A grumpy old man in a two-way cussing match responding to a rude tourist who wouldn't leave his private property in an episode that occurred three years ago is NOTHING compared to the very current threat of touting premeditated murder as a solution to our private beach issues.

Your attempt to be so dismissive would be laughable. If it weren't such a grave concern.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
A grumpy old man in a two-way cussing match responding to a rude tourist who wouldn't leave his private property in an episode that occurred three years ago is NOTHING compared to the very current threat of touting premeditated murder as a solution to our private beach issues.

Your attempt to be so dismissive would be laughable. If it weren't such a grave concern.
Didn't Hackmeyer at Vizcaya guy threaten someone with shooting or other bodily harm? I really don't remember except there was profanity involved. I did hear yesterday though that a Vizcaya owner is selling because he doesn't want to be associated with Hacmeyer 's tactics. Who does he represent? Is he on his own or is there a team behind him? Is he being paid to patrol the beach?

Auburn Fan

Beach Lover
Oct 4, 2018
Auburn
Didn't Hackmeyer at Vizcaya guy threaten someone with shooting or other bodily harm?

Intentionally repeated hearsay of no substance. No police report whatsoever. Which of course there would have been if anything like that actually happened. Let's try sticking to the facts.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Intentionally repeated hearsay of no substance. No police report whatsoever. Which of course there would have been if anything like that actually happened. Let's try sticking to the facts.
I recall a video posted here of the incident with a lot of cussing and extremely aggressive behavior. Do you think there is a police report every time someone is threatened with a gun?

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
Just my two cents, but I think there are actually quite a few beach areas where sharing is working just fine (like it did before the CU ordinance) with people who adhere to the "sole uses" that Walton County designated in the previous customary use ordinance and have designated again in the lawsuit. It would be great if the various social media sites would put some major emphasis on the sole uses. It might make for a more peaceful summer. Obviously, where there are known conflicts, nothing is served by trying to instigate conflict just for the sake of it.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
Dave, would like a serious discussion of the old English law of customary use you and the commissioners base your positions on? So far I agree it’s been a circular discussion, many ask for facts, no one offers any facts or even verifiable opinions;......

Potentially good news for all, REALLY.

If you haven’t heard, attorney Borowski has filed a request to dismiss the whole customary use case on grounds that the doctrine of customary use is unconstitutional and that it violates the takings clause and the due process clause of the U.S. Constitution.

Reference online court records Doc 784 filed on 5/4/19. It is a good read!

Thankfully, Dave R doesn’t really have to debate FBB....it would be painful if Dave R actually tried to engage.

It sounds similar to the Blessey federal case that went away because the original CU proclamation by the county was rightfully shot down.

“So how can that possibly be good news for the CU advocates as well?”

It would save EVERYONE bunches of money AND time.

And by time I mean it would bring MR. AND MRS. NO COMPROMISE Daniel Uhlfelder and Dave Rauschkolb and others begrudgingly back to the negotiating table. And then a deal could hopefully be negotiated with neighboring properties of public beach accesses using the saved money.

And then we could just move on, trying to heal the community and letting developers have their way with us. And time is of the essence.

Isn’t that something we all can agree on?