• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

rolling dune

Beach Lover
Apr 24, 2008
blue mtn.
I am wondering what our community feels about the recent discovery of the atrocity that has occured at Ebro. Having rescued many ex-racers from this track in the 90s, I can't help but wonder just how long this has been going on with no oversight by the owners of the track. The river has been a convenient source of disposal for many years from what I have been told. Ebro has been referred to as "The Last Chance Cafe" for dogs unfortunate enough to end up there. These dogs make the most loyal and loving pets ever. Calm and grateful to have a forever home. They are transported from track to track and handled by strangers their entire life. When they actually know love...you see it in their eyes. Please think about adopting one of these graceful ex-racers. Ebro does have an active adoption program.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
According to reports the management was not aware of this situation and the criminal went so far as to mask the smell by placing rotting meat in a refrigerator outside the kennels which were under his control.

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
Dog racing should be banned. It's not "sport."

Koa

Beach Fanatic
Jul 17, 2010
What did they find? I heard something like 33 dead greyhounds and additionally, multiple emaciated greyhounds. Is that correct?

Thinking about the big picture, I'm not sure what all goes on in dog racing, but the racing itself doesn't seem bad. However, it does seem that dog tracks often have connections to abuse of animals, and that is terrible. Years ago, there was talk of similar abuse in horse racing, but I don't hear about that anymore. I guess horses cost too much where dogs are less pricey.

Speaking as someone who has adopted three dogs (not from dog tracks), I can tell you in general that dogs know when they are rescued and make the most loving pets. I used to think it would be cool to have a particular breed or two of dogs, but after going to a shelter and adopting, I don't think I could ever buy a dog from a breeder.

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
I'll tell ya exactly how I feel about it. We drove by Ebro a couple of weeks ago and I thought "cool, we should go to a race sometime" Now, I wouldn't think of going there to support it.

Now, about the suspect. (If you're one of those pansies that doesn't condone violence for any reason, you need not read any further)

When I saw the photo of the suspect this is what I thought:
Here's a guy who looks as if he eats very well, and very often. I would like to cram his fat ass in a dog carrier with a child abuser or some other equally disgusting scumbag, and duct tape them together at the neck, put them in a filthy stall and shut the door, and never come back.

There, I said it. Ya'll have a good day. :wave:

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
This breaks my heart. My parents rescued 3 Greyhounds in the past. They were the sweetest most gentle animals I have ever seen. They lived to ripe old ages with my parents.

I can't believe how these animals are treated. I to believe this practice of dog racing should be stopped! The animals are treated so poorly and are killed if not adopted after their "prime". I agree with SSB, this jerk needs to be starved and duct taped and left for dead in a too small kennel! Makes me so freaking mad that a human could do this to a helpless animal!

Koa

Beach Fanatic
Jul 17, 2010
from Ch7, WJHG (video on link):

Panama City - More new developments Tuesday in the case of a man accused of killing more than 3 dozen Ebro greyhound racing dogs.

A greyhound adoption agency says the suspect, Ronald Williams, turned over a number of dogs for adoption aside from those that died.

A state regulatory agency that oversees dog racing is taking action.

Rodger Spencer with the Greyhound Pets of America says he's familiar with Ronald Williams.

The organization works with facilities like Ebro Greyhound Park to find homes for the dogs.

Spencer says Williams called the organization last week taking 8 of his dogs for adoption.

He says Williams claimed to have 10 total.

Spencer took 8 of the dogs, some nearly 15 pounds underweight.

"After he turned the 8 dogs over to us, he was stating to us and to others on the track that all he had left was two dogs. During that week witnesses would see him let out those two dogs and we assumed that's all he had."

Spencer and his colleagues notified a state inspector, which checked the kennel last Friday night.

That's when he discovered the 37 dead dogs.

Most of the dead looked like they'd starved to death.

Some of them had duct tape around their necks making it hard to breathe.

Five dogs were still alive.

Spencer claims Williams tried to mask the smell of the dead dogs from Ebro track officials and other dog owners.

"He actually placed an inoperative freezer outside his kennel and put rotten meat in it to, we assume., try and hide the smell of what was coming from inside the kennel, unfortunately," said Spencer.

It's safe to say his greyhound racing days in Florida may be over.

Tuesday the State Department of Business and Professional Regulation issued an emergency suspension of Williams' greyhound license.

"At this point, he's not able to work and we're moving to make sure that he cannot ever work again in Florida in the pari-mutuel wagering industry," said Jenn Meale.

Williams is being held in the Washington County Jail on 37 counts of animal cruelty.

His bond is 57,000 dollars and he could face more charges.

Sunday night, a Walton County Animal Control officer discovered the corpses of at least 8 dead greyhounds under the Highway 20 bridge on the Walton County side of the Choctawhatchee river.

They've now found a tattoo inside the ear of one of those dogs.

The information has been sent to the National Greyhound Association.

If they identify the dog as one of Williams', he could be facing even more charges.

Last edited:

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Suspect: Dogs were fine 2 day ago. :pissed:

However, when an officer with a breathing device walked through the kennel, the officer found dead dogs in cages, dead dogs in plastic bags and five dogs still alive, the report said. Three of the living dogs had duct tape wrapped around their necks.

?The tape was tight enough the dogs could barely breath,? Russ wrote in the report. There also was tape around some of the dead dogs, according to an arrest report written by Sgt. Wade Boan.

Trainer claimed dogs were OK two days before deaths | dogs, ebro, trainer - News - The News Herald

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
"It's safe to say his greyhound racing days in Florida may be over."

MAY BE OVER? Seriously? I would think that would have read "ARE" over, there should be no MAY to it.