• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

dbuck

Beach Fanatic
Jun 2, 2005
KY
Mint in places where you don't care that it takes over your yard, neighborhood, etc. It smells good when you mow or weedeat it!

Basil in pots and beds. I have 4 pots on my deck, and "backup" stuck in the beds.

dbuck, I grow my herbs in containers. This year I actually put my Thai basil in a hanging planter because it gets so leafy and it gets pretty little purple flowers on it, which you're actually not supposed to allow to grow, but I do anyway. I did plant mint this year for the first time (in the ground), knowing in theory it would take over where it was planted, but the reality was even more than I anticipated--you can't stop the stuff! :eek: Oh, and I have a rosemary "tree" which almost looks like a little Christmas tree in a pot!

Thanks, pea and jen-ay, I am going to give it a try.

For years now, containers are the only way I ever grow herbs, except for chives. When we left Denver, I had to leave a huge rosemary tree behind, but he went to a good home. And I've started a new one; I hope I get to keep him.
In our very first home, we learned the hard way about mint when we ended up with catnip everywhere. ;-)

Allifunn

FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com
Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
L'uomo Italiano

1 Part Dark Curly Hair
2 Dreamy Eyes
1 Pair of Jeans that look painted on

Prepare body as if carved by Michelangelo

..and voila, a hot Italian man.
Sounds delish...but is he real or memorex? ;-)

Sounds delish...but is he real or memorex? ;-)
He sounds like my former hair colorist, although his long head of hair was blonde. Damn, he looked good in those tight black leather pants. Died of complications of AIDS. I miss him. :sosad:

Back on thread, I have some great Tuscan recipes from a cookbook we bought in Cortona. I don't have time to type right now - watching football. I've posted my daughter's tweaking of their tomato/basil bruschetta several times on this board - it's excellent.

Savoring Italy from Williams-Sonoma has some very good Italian recipes, in particular, their bruschetta, arista (love it), and trenette al pesto.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
I'll be posting recipes soon. I have to get back to work now that summer is over (sob):sosad: and I've been cooking away at home to stock fresh vegetable recipes in the freezer . But I'll be caught up again soon and will post my favorite Italian recipes -- I have a lot of them - some old favorites and some new ones that I learned this summer...

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I'll be posting recipes soon. I have to get back to work now that summer is over (sob):sosad: and I've been cooking away at home to stock fresh vegetable recipes in the freezer . But I'll be caught up again soon and will post my favorite Italian recipes -- I have a lot of them - some old favorites and some new ones that I learned this summer...

:popcorn:

Allifunn

FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com
Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
I can't really look at this thread until I can devote some serious time to it!!!!!!!!!:blush:

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
OK, things have slowed down a bit here -- we're all settled into our back-to-school routines, so I have some time to think of food again... Here's a great dessert recipe that you can make a day ahead of time. Pretty easy. It can be hard to find the ladyfingers, though. I tend to use the cream cheese (see end of recipe for instructions on substituting cream cheese for mascarpone)rather than mascarpone and actually like it better with the cream cheese. More recipes to come soon.

TIRAMISU

Serves 16

1 16-ounce container mascarpone cheese*
? cup confectioners sugar
3 tablespoons coffee-flavored liquor
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
? teaspoon salt
3 squares semisweet chocolate, coarsely grated
1 ? cups heavy or whipping cream
2 3-to-4 ? ounce packages lady fingers

Lady Finger Dip:
1/3 cup coffee-flavored liquor or rum
2 teaspoons instant espresso-coffee powder
? teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons water

Topping:
1 ? cups heavy or whipping cream
2 teaspoon confectioners sugar

1. In a large bowl, with wire whisk or fork, beat mascarpone, ? cup confectioners sugar, 3 tablespoons coffee flavored liquor, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, two-thirds of the grated chocolate, and ? teaspoon salt. Set aside remaining chocolate for top of dessert.

2. In a small bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat 1 cup heavy or whipping cream until soft peaks form. With rubber spatula or wire whisk, fold whipped cream into cheese mixture.

3. In a small bowl, stir 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder, 1/3 cup coffee flavored liquor, ? teaspoon vanilla extract, and 2 tablespoons water.

4. Separate ladyfingers into halves. Line a 10-cup glass or crystal bowl with one-fourth of the ladyfingers; brush with two tablespoons of espresso mixture (or I dip them into the mixture before putting them in the bowl). Spoon one-third of the cheese mixture over ladyfingers. Repeat with ladyfingers, espresso mixture, and cheese mixture to make two more layers. Top with remaining ladyfingers, gently pressing ladyfingers into cheese mixture. Brush ladyfingers with remaining grated chocolate over top of dessert, reserving 1 tablespoon for garnish.

5. In a small bowl, with mixture at medium speed, beat remaining ? cup heavy or whipping cream and 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar until soft peaks form. Spoon whipped cream mixture into decorating bag with large star tube. Pipe large rosettes on top of dessert. Sprinkle reserved grated chocolate on rosettes. Cover dessert and refrigerate at least two hours to chill and blend flavors.

*If mascarpone cheese is not available, substitute two 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened, and in step 1, in large bowl, with mixture at medium speed, beat cream cheese and 3 tablespoons milk until smooth and fluffly. Increase confectioners sugar to 2/3 cup and beat in with coffee-flavored liquor and vanilla extract. Stir in grated chocolate. Delete salt.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Here's another one we make often:

MARSALA CHICKEN
Elegant yet economical

8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 eggs
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 ? cups dry unflavored breadcrumbs
1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
? cup butter
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 cup dry Marsala wine or port

Pound chicken breasts if you like them thin (that's my preference). Beat eggs with salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Combine breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese in a small bowl. Dip chicken breasts in beaten eggs, then coat with breadcrumb mixture. Press mixture onto chicken with the palms of your hands. Let coated chicken stand 10 to 15 minutes. Melt butter with oil in a large heavy skillet. When butter foams, add chicken breasts. Cook over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until chicken has a light-golden crust. Add Marsala or port. Cover skillet and reduce heat. Simmer 10 - 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through (how long you simmer it depends on how thin the chicken slices are). If sauce looks too dry, add a little more Marsala or port. Turn chicken several times during cooking. Place chicken on a warm platter. Taste and adjust sauce for seasoning, then spoon over chicken. Serve immediately. Makes 8 servings.