• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
LORENA'S LIMONCELLO CREAM

We tasted this at my cousins' house in Italy this summer and it was pretty amazing. It's very easy to make, though. I made this recipe last week and it came out absolutely delicious. You want to drink it very cold, and it's considered a hot/warm weather recipe. If you like drinks like Bailey's Irish cream or other creamy liquors, you'll like this. It comes out with a beautiful pale yellow color -- a very pretty and refreshing drink. I'm clearly hooked on it! This recipe makes a LOT of limoncello cream, enough to give away as gifts.

8 lemons washed and dried
1 litre alcohol pure for cooking (you can use vodka though the pure alcohol leeches the color and flavor from the lemons better)
2 litre + 250 fresh milk
4 busti vanilla (these are packages of dried vanilla -- I don't know if you can get them in the US, but we brought some back from Italy)
1/2 small glass cognac (about 1.5 inches cognac)
1 kilo + 300 grams sugar

1. Zest the yellow part of the lemon rind only because the white part will make it bitter

2. Put the rind in alcohol for 2 days (or more depending on when you want to drink it)

3. On the third day, boil milk with sugar and vanilla. I used a technique I read about on the Internet -- bring the mixure to a boil, then take it off the burner, put it back on again and bring it back to a boil. Do this 4-5 times. Supposedly, this makes it creamier and keeps it from curdling. It seemed to work well.

4. Cool milk mixture and add alcohol and cognac

5. Mix and drink. Lorena said that it lasts a long time and the milk doesn't sour because of the alcohol. But, I'm keeping in the freezer (it shouldn't freeze but it should keep it fresh) and we'll see how long it lasts. I'll be bringing some to SoWal in October so we can try it together then.

Here's a version of the recipe that I found on the Internet:

4 organically grown lemons
a quart of grain alcohol
a quart of milk
a pound of sugar
a pint of water:
Using a paring knife, trim the zest from the lemons, leaving the white part behind, and steep the zest in the alcohol for several days, shaking the jar daily. Combine the water, milk, and sugar and bring it to a boil 4-5 times, removing it from the burner each time it boils up. This serves to keep it from curdling subsequently.

Once the milk has boiled up for the last time, remove it from the fire and let it cool a bit. Stir in the alcohol, at which point the mixture should become thick and creamy. Let the mixture cool a little more and bottle it, pouring it through a fine wire mesh strainer into a funnel to filter out lemon zest and any large curds that might have formed. Let it sit for 3-4 days, and it's ready to serve.

And here's another version from the Internet:

1 liter alcohol (Vodka)
7 lemons, washed and dried
3 cups sugar
1 quart half-and-half cream
20 ounces half-and-half cream

Zest the lemons and remove the white pithe. Place in a large container with the alcohol. Let sit for 1 to 2 weeks.
In a large pot, add the sugar and cream. Heat until the sugar has dissolved, about 5 minutes. Let this mixture cool completely. Add the lemon/alcohol mixture into the pot using a strainer to catch the zest. Pour mixture into 2 bottles. Store in refrigerator for 3-5 days before drinking.
Continue to store in freezer.

Last edited:

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
Paula: I make the limoncello every christmas with just the lemons, sugar and alcohol :eek: for gifts (i also make homemade kaluha (sp?)). I am definitely gonna do the cream this year though! Thanks!

Last edited:

Allifunn

FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com
Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
Thanks, Paula! I love lemoncello! I bought soem when I was in Sorrento.....:love:

I'll be posting recipes soon. I have to get back to work now that summer is over (sob):sosad: and I've been cooking away at home to stock fresh vegetable recipes in the freezer . But I'll be caught up again soon and will post my favorite Italian recipes -- I have a lot of them - some old favorites and some new ones that I learned this summer...
I hear ya. I really dreaded going back to work this week.

It also means I won't have much time to cook our favorite Italian dishes until next summer. I do have a big batch of basil -- gotta make some pesto using the recipe from Savoring Italy. Note how I smoothly stayed on topic.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
I have a few more that I'll post, but one is long (the home-made ravioli recipe -- but it's so good...). Our kids (and guests) love the chicken marsala recipe and it doesn't take long to cook so it's a nice recipe. I put my limoncello in the freezer and one didn't freeze (that's good) and one did freeze (I put it back in the fridge to see how it will taste after having been frozen and will let you know). I can't figure out why one would freeze and one wouldn't -- the alcohol is supposed to keep it from freezing. Anyway, the recipe made so much limoncello cream that even if I lost a jar, I'll still have enough to give two bottles away and keep two... (one to bring to SoWal, maybe two to bring to SoWal...) in October!

Last edited:

TripleB

Beach Fanatic
Jul 15, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Chef-boy-ardee Ravioli:

1. Open can
2. Pour contents into microwave safe dish, cover
3. Microwave 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 min...let sit 1 min

YUM!