Hilton Home In Seacrest Beach - Paradise By The Sea

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by Magic Hour, May 11, 2005.

1. waterst1

waterst1 Beach Lover

J-WS6,
    Terrific model. Thanks for sharing the images.

2. J-WS6

J-WS6 Beach Comber

hey no problem, i enjoyed doing it.

3. LivinEasy

LivinEasy Beach Comber

I agree that the house to the east is way worse and way more out of place than the Hilton House...also cheap construction, with stucco over wood framing, which is a terrible idea anywhere, but especially on the Gulf. That is why they had it wrapped in tarps for so long as they were repairing all the rot. The nice thing about the Hilton House is that will blend in when Alys Beach is built out. It will no longer have a presence from the road, just from the water. If you ever have a chance, take a look at it from a boat. There is not enough beach to get a good view from there, but it really is spectacular when you can "step back" from it on a boat.

As for the WaterSound Idea House, Stephen Tyler did not buy it, though that would be funny. It was a guy named Bill Taylor, from Birmingham that is President and CEO of Merceded Benz US in Alabama.

4. waterst1

waterst1 Beach Lover

I agree. I thought the house to the east looked much better while it was wrapped in tarps...

5. J-WS6

J-WS6 Beach Comber

I've never seen the Watersound Idea House. Anyone care to post a picture?

6. waterst1

waterst1 Beach Lover

The WaterSound North Idea House is a modular house built by Haven Homes. It is typical glorified "cracker" style.

7. seaside2

seaside2 Beach Fanatic

Typical Southern Living house. They might have a pic and plans on their site. We went through it, and while it was nice and had some good touches, thought it was overpriced

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  8. J-WS6

J-WS6 Beach Comber

oh ok, i figured with the name "idea" house i figured it would have been something obscure and interesting like the hilton residence..

9. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

I think the "idea" house everyone was previously refferring to is the one that is in WaterSound near the gulf. It is currently for sale.

10. J-WS6

J-WS6 Beach Comber

any significant updates on the house? unfortunately, i'm not going to be able to make it over there this summer...

11. IRIETYMES

IRIETYMES Beach Lover

Thanks to everyone for the photos, scale models, and updates

:clap:
    We've been watching that construction for the 10 years it has been under scrutiny and work, and think it is fabulous for the coast and agree wholeheartedly that the one next door is out of place. What about the one further east still that has what looks to be a bird cage or gazebo on the northen end, the whole thing surrounded by a concrete wall now? We've been telling my now 8-year-old son since he was capable of understanding language that that was a "Super Hero" house, probably belonged to the League of Incredibles or some such. At 8 he has turned into a non-believer but loves to tell others about it.
    I'd love to see it from the water and plan doing just that in August.
    And we're saving now towards buying it in another ten years for, say around, $750,000 on a short sale. LOL.

12. AAbsolute

AAbsolute Banned

Watercolor, Watersound and 12 days a year 59th Str
    Charlie's got about 1,000 employees in this area. He can finish the house at any day and hour he would choose to. As for short sale, have you seen what he paid for those oversized gulf front lots that the home sits on?

I understand Paradise to have more linear feet of Beachfront per residential lot than any other neighborhood in Walton County. Is this is a fact?

13. elgordoboy

elgordoboy Beach Fanatic

I think you may have misunderstood, if by he you mean "Charlie". Or maybe I did :dunno:.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  14. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

We were relaxing on the beach last week. I was reading this month's Oxford American Magazine which was devoted to houses and housing. Hal Crowther's The Cult of House Worship is a fantastic read. Here is a snippet I will post without further comment:

On the lovely beach west of Panama City, Florida, part of what was once known as the Redneck Riviera and recently as the Emerald Coast, a fifteen-mile hell of reckless development and architectural psychosis is crowned by a stadium-size beach house (built, I was told, by an heir to one of America's famous fortunes) that looks like an alien spaceship crash-landed on the dunes. If its architect didn't subsequently take his own life, he must have been one of the aliens.
    :lol:

15. AAbsolute

AAbsolute Banned

Watercolor, Watersound and 12 days a year 59th Str
    The way I understood it Doodle sold those lots to Charles Hilton or an entitiy he owns for about 275 each, which is pretty good for huge gulf front lots abutting Alys. Making Paradise lots oversized and delivering value was an important part of Doodle completing the whole transaction from Paradise to Rosemary. I was lucky enough to have talked to Doodle many times about his trips to New York to visit with LUK's exec's and his negotiations. I bet Mickey Whitaker and Bill Smith could write a pretty amazing and educational book about the sub-dividing and development of all that amazing property.

16. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Beach Fanatic

Oxford American, worth every penny. I love the annual Southern music issue.

Sorry, though, I don't share Hal's opinion of the Hilton house architecture. IMHO, the psuedo-Georgian mess next door is the turkey.

There's no good reason why we should all have yet another architectural clone of the styles pioneered by Seaside or Rosemary . Or in a few years, after the style catches on, another Alys clone.

17. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    There must not be an architectural review committee for that neighborhood based on the wide variety of architectural styles. It is my understanding that the owners of the house next to the Hilton house just wanted that style of architecture, and they had the right to build what they wanted.

Different strokes for different folks.

18. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

I agree, I have always liked Hilton's house. That McTajMahal next door is a travesty, a monument of nouveau riche opulence that will hopefully fall into the sea one day.

19. elgordoboy

elgordoboy Beach Fanatic

Just as folks have the right to express their opinion that it is ugly.

20. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

If you have ever met the Hiltons, you would know that it is not Charlie's house. It is his wife's. I think Charlie would be happy living in a trailer, but his wife needs to show off their money.