Lowering the speed limit on 30A?

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by SGB, Jan 8, 2010.

1. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

"This crowd" is composed of a blend of natives, full time residents, 2nd home owners, and frequent or occasional visitors. :roll:

2. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Anybody else smell trial lawyers on this thread?

3. robertsondavies

robertsondavies Beach Fanatic

FINALLY, an honest answer I can respect for its honesty. I'll be straight up and tell you we can actually carve out an easy compromise to this, and you can keep your convenience.

Really all that matters in my mind, is the 2 stinking miles (or blissful if you're in a car) of 45MPH at Deer Lake, which bisects 95% of the real destinations in South Walton, like a knife, and makes 40% of it (Rosemary,Seacrest,Alys,Camp Creek, cut off, from the other 60%, Seagrove/Seaside/Watercolor/Grayton/BMB.

All we need are either 1) 2 mandatory pull offs along that stretch for cyclists or LSV's going 35MPH or less.. OR 2 ) a separated lane to the right on that stretch, which LSV's and cycylists must detour on, and put the bikepath, even further away from the 55MPH cars on that stretch.

Anyhow, a compromise is possible here, to preserve that convenience

4. John R

John R needs to get out more

Finally? You've gotten honest answers already. It seems to me that if you get an answer you don't like, or agree with, then it must not be honest. That's sad. You would have more asphalt laid to support your green alternative? Interesting.

Happy Easter.

5. Geo

Geo Beach Fanatic

I echo John R's remarks. Rdavies and Nrlight,
    I would venture to guess that 9 out of 10 people down here (whether full time residents, part timers or occasional visitors) believe that common sense dictates that you keep golf carts of highways and that it is ridonkulous to lower posted speed limits so that a couple people can take their golf carts to Stinkys or Red Bar.

You are entitled to your opinion and can squak all u want but what are u trying to accomplish by continuing?

6. robertsondavies

Don't have to be a smartazz, JOHN R. The poster him or herself labeled it "I'll be "HONEST" and level with you" ... not sure if you read that. It was nice to see someone honestly put to the board the REAL reason for most opposition -

If you go against SWGB and a few others on here, you will get ganged up on. Read the thread, just the facts.. I'm not in the 5 million posts club, hence I am told to move to Sandestin, end the thread, and I'm told I own an LSV dealership, etc etc. Weird **** coming from what you would guess are liberal minds.

Oh no you just can't disagree with SWGB - --- the horror... :yikes:

7. robertsondavies

Desso, you've hit the nail on the head in a lot of ways. Watch out.

8. robertsondavies

We're going to wager on things? Cool, I love to gamble.

If any elected officials might be reading this, SWGB probably lives here and may pay a few tax dollars, not sure about this so I won't bet on it.

I will wager you this however.. SWGB's odds of voting for you as a Republican are lower than your odds on winning Powerball, though the chance is there statistically. I'll wager that not only is SWGB a card carrying democrat, that further he is on the liberal end of the Democrat wagon. and here SWGB stands with the SUV on the one hand, and against drilling for oil on the other. There is a political wedge opportunity here for you to exploit. Get busy.

I'll also wager that SWGB is wrong about me. I do pay taxes here, property and sales and use, and I DO own property here.

9. robertsondavies

Hey we who support LSV usage on 30A are supposed to be entitled to our opinions - isn't that an inalienable right thingy? I appreciate yours and many others concerns and opinions too. I also think there is a middle ground solution.

What do I hope to accomplish? SIMPLE - I hope to either lower the 2 mile stretch at Deer Lake to 35MPH and put a couple pull off areas on that stretch for cyclists and LSVs, or I'd like to leave it at 45MPH to preserve the convenience of it for those that need it, but install a 3rd path on that stretch for LSVs and slow cyclists to detour onto before reaching 35MPH areas on either side.

Common sense says that 40 some state legistlatures approved LSV statutes, encouraing their use on roadways of 35MPH or lower speed limits. Common sense and dollars and cents will show what insurance companies actuaries think of LSV's safety record. A common sense investigation will also reveal that after taking into account the pro's and con's nearly every environmental group is PRO - LSV, from the Sierra Club to you name it. I don't agree that 9 out of 10 agree with you that 30A must be the provence of the big carbon powered vehicles only, but it depends how you frame the question, and depends what group you survey. All I see are SUV's right now in South Walton, as far as the eye can see. To me, I think there are better alternatives, and encouraging LSVs is not the end goal, just one part of a bridge to the future of the area.

10. robertsondavies

I did come and take a look. Here is what I see. GMC Yukons, GMC Yukon XLs, Chevrolet Tahoe, Chevrolet Suburbans, Nissan Armadas, Pathfinders, Land Rover Range Rovers, Land Rover Land Rovers, Toyota Sequoiyas, Toyota Siennas, Honda Oddysseys, a bunch of pedestrians, hard core cyclists, and bike riders... and a couple LSVs. I wish it were 95% LSVs instead of 95% SUV's until the day we all ride magic carpets or walk everywhere.

11. Sarah Palin

Sarah Palin Beach Comber

Remember that vow of poverty? Those big brass boys you've got would definitely qualify as riches.

I don't think we should get into who the imposter is, everybody views us differently anyway. You have your take, and I'll have mine. If the mortals can't agree on which day of the week is holy do you really think they are going to choose which one of us to listen too?

P.S. I'm totally with you on the no changing of speed limits.

12. Geo

Geo Beach Fanatic

I have good news and bad news. I'll start with the bad.

Jesus died last Friday.
    But rumor has it that he rose from the dead two days later on Sunday. So hopefully he'll see this soon. Lol

13. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

If you want to have the right to travel on the roads in a golf cart and be treated like a car, you might want to think about using parking spaces. :lol:

Today at Publix - these dudes must have thought the front entry was a carport.

[​IMG]

14. YellowDog

YellowDog Beach Comber

<rant mode on>
    Getting tired of these things already. I don't buy all the environmental posturing. That's a cover for wanting to make a buck renting and selling them. Meanwhile, you've got self-indulgent folks like this, having a good time and inconveniencing everyone else.
    <rant mode off>

15. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

Where's a sharp knife when you need one? :cool:

16. Sheila

Sheila SoWal Insider

Snellville, GA., Seacrest/Seagrove as often as we
    Aisle 7 @ the Watercolor Publix. ;-)

17. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Classy.

18. wadecool

wadecool Beach Lover

You are hilarious on so many fronts! I'm going to pick an obvious one that noone has mentioned to date. Apparently, someone in a Nissan Armada backed over your tricycle, stole your parking place at the last Black Friday sale, or something else tragic because that is the vehicle of choice you have used over and over as the jolly roger against your precious LSV. But..... you made a critical mistake along the way..... you mentioned that you drive a Chevy Tahoe. Oopps, I know thats a cat you wish would go back into the bag, but its just not possible here. As an avid Car and Driver reader, I'll just whisper over your shoulder that the difference in city fuel economy (since we're talking about Hwy 30a) between an Armada and a Tahoe is 1 or 2 mpg. To know how deep your progressive ideas run, one doesn't need to look much further here. BTW, does your Tahoe have 4x4 and rear a/c as well? Shame, shame.

19. YellowDog

YellowDog Beach Comber

We don't need to cast this in liberal vs. conservative terms, no matter how tempting that may be from RobertsonDavies' posts. It's really a lot simpler. He wants the county to accomodate him in a money-making scheme. Money for him, inconvenience for the vast majority of vacationers and residents. Not a partisan issue, unless you just want to make it one to enjoy the divisiveness.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  20. wadecool

wadecool Beach Lover

I honestly wasn't trying to make this debate about left vs. right, although like you said, its clear to see which way RobertsonDavies leans politically. I was just pointing out a recurring theme in his posts that literally made me laugh out loud as I really love a good ironic statement. That being said, YellowDog, you put it as simply and accurately as anyone could have. Btw, did RobertsonDavies take his ball and go home or what?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010