Lowering the speed limit on 30A?

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by SGB, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

I said we used to use it as a short cut. You are ASSuming the rest and living up to that age old definition.

Perhaps it would be best if you saddled up your ridiculous plastic cart and rode off into the sunset with nr-light side-caring in a hover round.

2. Lynnie

Lynnie SoWal Insider

What is LSV, some kinda' new crime show? Why is traffic on Peachtree only 20MPH? Aggervatin'!

3. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

This is probably the most succinct commentary on this whole thread. Please let the damn dead horse die! :bang:

4. John R

John R needs to get out more

You will be quoted and told what you think. It is the way of this thread. All serious discussion ended pages ago.

5. SurferGirl

SurferGirl Beach Comber

The cyclists aka "bicyclists", need to stay on the BIKE PATH. That is what what millions of dollars were spent for... people to ride their bicycles, whether you consider yourself a "professional" or not. However, if you want to get run over by drivers (which will probably be a tourist staring at something on Scenic 30a), then have at it and ride on the road. No, I cannot stand seeing spandex clad "cyclists" hogging the road when there is a BIKE PATH three feet away... more than angry, it makes me nervous that they are eventually going to get hit b/c a lot of people on 30a are tourists and are not paying attention. I'm a local so I'm always cautious of cyclists, but the next person from Wisconsin may not be. I honestly think if you ride your bike on the road and not the bike path that you are asking for it... nobody's fault but your own if you get hit.... sorry just my opinion.

6. SurferGirl

SurferGirl Beach Comber

And one more thing... before a cyclist comes on here and blasts me for saying the above, please realize that we know that you don't ride on the bike path while on your bike b/c you get annoyed at all the slow tourista bicyclists,,.. and that is exactly how the thousands of cars that get stuck behind you on 30a feel when you are riding on the road.... and trust me you hold up a lot more traffic than you get held up if you used the bike path like you should.

7. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

This has nothing to do with cyclists. It's about LSV or Low Speed Vehicles. However robertsondavies will point out that you are somehow agreeing with us.

8. SurferGirl

SurferGirl Beach Comber

Well... in my opinion... a bicycle on 30a is a low speed vehicle... they are constantly holding up traffic and do not go the speed limit therefore i consider them an lsv.... and yes i am very much in agreement with 99% of the people on here about lowering the speed limit... it's stupid but not as stupid as the repaving being done that 30a did not need.

9. LuciferSam

LuciferSam Banned

They named some lame-ass slow moving vehicle after me.-LS

10. LuciferSam

LuciferSam Banned

In the name of Darwin keep the spandexers on 30a. Let natural selection do its job.

11. robertsondavies

robertsondavies Beach Fanatic

Surfer Girl, you are absolutely correct in my view of your interpretation... cyclists on the road are ultra slow LSVs... who rarely pullover, as an LSV would, b/c those thin tires CANNOT go onto the soft shoulder.

We probably disagree as to what to do. I don't want to ban cyclists, and I want to give LSV's which are a lesser annoyance since they actually pull off and let traffic through, to legally have the run of 30A, instead of just the 85% of it that they currently have - legally, due to a couple tiny sections of 45MPH.

12. Will B

Will B Moderator

First...thank you for saying that you are always careful around the cyclists.

I know this has been hashed out numerous times here, but as a part time Spandex clad cyclist, I can tell you that the two main reasons that we stay on 30A are the hugely disparate speeds between road bikes and beach cruisers (hmmm...sounds familiar) and, more importantly, the path is far less safe for road bikes than dodging cars on 30A. The tires on road bikes are inflated to 125psi. With all the trash, rocks, broken shells, etc on the path a blown tire is a forgone conclusion. Plus, all of the planking on the path bridges is in horrible shape with big splinters and nail heads protruding from the wood. If I'm out for a leisurely ride with the wife, I'm on the path, but if I'm out to exercise where I'm riding above 20mph, I'm on the road.

Sorry to hijack the thread for a post...

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  13. robertsondavies

robertsondavies Beach Fanatic

Hey, don't apologize for joining the discussion, just because some want to take their ball and go home, and stifle a good discussion.

Your observations are good to share, and your insights are very reasonable. I'm pro cyclist, although many are obviously not. I think 30A is a resort area, and a resort highway... I like coming across a pack of cyclists and slowing down for a brief stretch... I like riding through Seaside and Seagrove at 10MPH due to pedestrians carrying ice cream cones - I deal with well and I think I'm in the majority of users of the area. I realize y'all CANNOT pull over because of the racing bike tire issue - big deal, it costs me 15 to 20 seconds usually. Cyclists, LSV's and Pedestrians are a part of the scene and the vision really of the area ... slow down when you come across them, or pedestrians in the numerous towns up and down 30A.
    We ought not ban cyclists from 30A, anymore than we would outlaw children with dripping ice cream cones dawdling across 30A both inside designated crossings and not inside those designated crossings.

14. Botes

Botes Beach Comber

Ok, so i just wasted to much of life reading this thread. But to make myself feel better, I went and took a drive down 30-A, and pleasantly did not have to drive behind an LSV. I'll be straight up, it is a convenience thing. :D

15. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Just for the record, if any elected officials might be reading this, robertsondavies doesn't live here or own property. I'm betting he's not registered to vote either.

16. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

Well, that seems to say a lot, doesn't it?

17. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

Certainly explains why he doesn't understand that one frequently HAS to use 30-A to get from point A to B.

I started making a list - my hairdresser, dentist, bank, post office, favorite bars, favorite restaurants, favorite shops, stockbroker, groceries (farmer's market, for the health of it, WC publix, chan's), garden store, coffee shop, golf courses, specialty stores, and majority of the events I attend and my friends are on 30-A.

I use 98 to go out of town, for seafood at Shrimper's, accountant once a year, the library, gov't business, the doctor (which used to be on 30-a), and to see friends in PW/north of 98.

18. nr light

nr light Beach Comber

So I guess that's all we've got now. Basically all Naysayers of LSVs have one argument. "Wa-wa-wa I don't want to be inconvenienced." And my only response to that is I'm Sorry.
    I am sorry that these tourists are "Fueling" our economy is such a way that inconveniences you.
    I'm sorry that our lovely emerald coast is so beautiful that people (homeowners included) want to enjoy it by taking a slower, safe drive down one of the most scenic highways on the panhandle.
    I am sorry that the simple pleasures of another inconvenience you by less than a minute.
    But I am truly sorry that we can't even have a DISCUSSION about it without attacking one another personally.

19. Desso

Desso Beach Lover

nr-light, you have to realize this crowd really doesn't like know-it-all visitors/tourist/part-timers who pop down once or a few times a year and expect the world to revolve around them. So much has changed for the locals, whatever their delusions, they have very little control over it. It leads to a great deal of pissing and moaning about the most trivial issues. It's like having rude, obnoxious guest for months on end and guess what they'll be back. It is a tourist economy, and unfortunately there are going to be many more things coming down the pike that people will not like. You think it's bad now wait t'ill the economy is really back, and "Paradise" gets more crowded, more traffic, more, more, more. The LSV debate will be trivial at that point.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  20. AndrewG

AndrewG Beach Fanatic

So So True.