• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

melscuba

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
Roswell, Ga hoping SoWal someday
[ As a homeowner, it makes me wonder if we should remain with WCVR instead of changing.[/QUOTE]

That is exactly what they are banking on! For what it's worth, we just finished booking our two week stay in WC with an outside agency. We love Camp Watercolor, but it wasn't worth the $2,000 more in price. We figured we can rent a kayak from a local place and we'll have bikes supplied with home.

Last edited:

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
As an outsider, I find this discussion interesting to follow. St. Joe seems to have forgotten that the kind of people who can afford to buy a premium vacation home usually didn't get to that financial point in life by just blindly writing out a check any time someone asked for one. They've likely haggled and played a fair amount of hardball many, many times in their business life over the years.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
OK, hot off the presses from WCVR. Please look at the attachment and the new addition of the asterisks on this second page. According to their office, all amenities are available for homeowners - period. Guests of homeowners (through other rental companies) have access to the Beach Club and Camp pool. However, guests renting through other companies will not have access to camp activities or DVD rentals. While the HOA owns the pools, it is Noble House that is in charge of some activities. So, this could be a real sticking point if the kids have their hearts set on making ceramics or stepping stones at the camp. On the other hand, not sure if the staff will be sticklers for this. Time will tell. As a homeowner, it makes me wonder if we should remain with WCVR instead of changing.
If that is the case, it doesn't explain why the person with whom I spoke at WCVR told me that it was exclusively for WCVR owners and guests. I specifically asked several time if a home owner who chose not to rent at all, would also be able to use these "priviledges" and the representative repeatedly told me no, and continued that they were paid for by the WCVR and not the HOA, thought there was question as to whether or not that applied to the boat useage since that did appear to be HOA controlled, even though it was on the "for WCVR" only list. Understand, the new guy in charge has been in place for only 30days and is still learning, as is the staff apparently.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
It sounds like a way to funnel rentals to Watercolor's rental company AND recoup some of the money that has been lost over the years providing amenities to all and sundry.

My question is this:

What exactly is the difference between the "guests" of a homeowner and the "paying guests" of a homeowner.

They both use amenities.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
The point is, for those that purchased homes in Watercolor from St. Joe, or otherwise, was it ever disclosed to you by St. Joe that if you chose to rent your home when it otherwise wasn't in use and you for whatever reason elected not to rent it through their management company that they would deny your guests the right to use certain community amenities?

Thank you Coondog for re-centering the thread. I have appreciated the responses however and have found them very helpful. There should be concern about future buyers and what this might mean to them. It is my hope this gets resolved openly and honestly.

Do either of you have an interest or employment with a rental company outside of WCVR?

The ownership and use of any amenity is in the covenants and bylaws that were given to you at the time of your closing. Unless they are legally amended then it doesn't change.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
The point is, for those that purchased homes in Watercolor from St. Joe, or otherwise, was it ever disclosed to you by St. Joe that if you chose to rent your home when it otherwise wasn't in use and you for whatever reason elected not to rent it through their management company that they would deny your guests the right to use certain community amenities?

St. Joe does not manage rentals any longer. In addition, once a property is purchased, the owner deals with the homeowners' association, not the builder or developer.

melscuba

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
Roswell, Ga hoping SoWal someday
Do either of you have an interest or employment with a rental company outside of WCVR?

The ownership and use of any amenity is in the covenants and bylaws that were given to you at the time of your closing. Unless they are legally amended then it doesn't change.

I do not have an interest or employment with a rental company outside of WCVR. I am simply a renter for the time being. A renter in WC for five years now and a lover of 30-A and Watercolor. We are also potential buyers. I came across this noticeable change in policy as we were inquiring about purchasing a property as well as when I went to book our upcoming vacation. I'm just looking for clarification on this matter as it weighs in on a home purchase as well as with whom we choose to rent.

Chip and Dale

Beach Lover
Jun 7, 2006
WaterColor
I'm still scratching my head... help me out here.

If HOA owns the tennis center, than how can the owners, guests of owners not in the rental program, and "Advantage" members pay more than those in the "Elite" St. Joe rental program?

If HOA owns it, how can St. Joe be bargaining with it?

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I'm still scratching my head... help me out here.

If HOA owns the tennis center, than how can the owners, guests of owners not in the rental program, and "Advantage" members pay more than those in the "Elite" St. Joe rental program?

If HOA owns it, how can St. Joe be bargaining with it?

They are not restricting access, they are offering a lower usage fee to those on the Elite program. In fact for legal purposes they are probably charging everybody the same fee and "subsidizing" the Elite program participants.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Aside from it being an incentive to rent through the WC agency, why don't they just restrict usage to those owners/guests/renters whose dues are current.

And charge additional fees if necessary to make the ink black instead of red?