• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

chitown

Beach Comber
Aug 8, 2015
Any grade A home builder recommendations for new construction on private lot south of 30A? Getting sq.footage quotes ranging from $150 -$225/sq.ft. Excluding land...
Thoughts?
We are also looking. Have you had success finding a builder? What are the sq. footage quotes that you've found?

chitown

Beach Comber
Aug 8, 2015
Hi -

We are looking to build a home along 30 A. Wondering how the build price per square foot compares from Seaside, Watercolor and Seagrove area? I understand there is a "range" depending on finishes, etc, but does anyone know the range for each community?

Thank you!
Have you had luck finding a builder? If so, what have you found to be the costs per sq ft? We are also looking . Thanks!

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Thinking Modular !!
since I've seen completed modular homes
and you would never know. Plus all frame work ( steel or wood) done by crews working daily. Delivered and installed, then subs finish.

BlaineAtk

Beach Comber
Mar 31, 2012
Well, I have been going through with a few contractors to get an idea for the price to build on my lot that I already own and have been surprised at the numbers I have gotten.

First, my plans and all are pretty basic. The house is on pilings and a basic rectangle. 1300 sqft living area with a small loft that adds another 200 sqft roughly. I informed all contractors that I wanted a basic finish level, no crown moulding, whatever their basic countertops are, no landscaping as I would take care of that, no concrete driveway, I was paying upfront all surveys and land clearing, no appliances as I would pay for them upfront out of my pocket. So essentially, just the basic home construction with no real frills...

I have gotten bids for this that come from $325k down to $260k. To me, with this being just a basic house not including the land that is WAY more than I was wanting to spend. When you add in Cost of land that puts me around $400k with the $325k builders for a fairly small 2 bedroom 2 bath house.... which is $266.66 a sqft.

Also, after construction is complete I just highly doubt it would be appraised at over $400k

Maybe I am just too cheap and don't realize it.... If people pay that and that is what the market supports then congrats to the builders but I simply cant justify that price for a regular house.

chitown

Beach Comber
Aug 8, 2015
Well, I have been going through with a few contractors to get an idea for the price to build on my lot that I already own and have been surprised at the numbers I have gotten.

First, my plans and all are pretty basic. The house is on pilings and a basic rectangle. 1300 sqft living area with a small loft that adds another 200 sqft roughly. I informed all contractors that I wanted a basic finish level, no crown moulding, whatever their basic countertops are, no landscaping as I would take care of that, no concrete driveway, I was paying upfront all surveys and land clearing, no appliances as I would pay for them upfront out of my pocket. So essentially, just the basic home construction with no real frills...

I have gotten bids for this that come from $325k down to $260k. To me, with this being just a basic house not including the land that is WAY more than I was wanting to spend. When you add in Cost of land that puts me around $400k with the $325k builders for a fairly small 2 bedroom 2 bath house.... which is $266.66 a sqft.

Also, after construction is complete I just highly doubt it would be appraised at over $400k

Maybe I am just too cheap and don't realize it.... If people pay that and that is what the market supports then congrats to the builders but I simply cant justify that price for a regular house.

Marmot

Beach Lover
Jun 16, 2016
SRB
Just some input, covered porches do add to cost and affect pp sq ft, but get the largest screened-in porch you can afford and ensure that it is functional to use as a living area with maybe tv, fireplace, etc.
For 9 months out of the year, you will enjoy this area as a living room.

BlaineAtk

Beach Comber
Mar 31, 2012
If you were asking about mine, I do have a small front porch in the plans but it is under the roof line and is a very basic porch. No screen or anything like that, just regular pressure treated wood. I think it is about 6ft - 8ft x 20 ft. The entire house I am trying to build is roughly 1500 sqft under roof with the porch on the front.

I just had another bid come in yesterday at around $350k..... I do not think a bank would even loan that on the projected house. I do not see where it would appraise at that price after construction and land, it isn't anything special.

I have had builders from outside the area tell me that it is because the guys down here have enough work that is high end with a higher profit margin that they do not need to take on smaller projects unless they can make a large profit off of it and that subs are charging the contractors crazy amounts for the work that they are doing. Not saying that this is the case, it is simply what I have been told. It is impressive to me that they are able to throw these prices at people for such small homes and that people actually pay that. Before I pay $350k for a 1500 sqft house, I can buy a larger one for less. I am holding out to find someone that can either build for what I think is reasonable.... Or I will do like someone else on here said and buy a modular.

Just a year or two ago, there were some houses built on 393 that were 1300 to 1500 sqft on pilings that sold for $179k Brand New with the land..... Now it seems to have just shy of doubled that for me just to build and I already own the land.... Something seems off to me but I know nothing about construction.

Marmot

Beach Lover
Jun 16, 2016
SRB
Just a year or two ago, there were some houses built on 393 that were 1300 to 1500 sqft on pilings that sold for $179k Brand New with the land..... Now it seems to have just shy of doubled that for me just to build and I already own the land.... Something seems off to me but I know nothing about construction.
The prices quoted are quite amazing relative to several years ago and unfortunate more reasonable pricing cannot be achieved. This is not a good sign or trend for working families in S-Walton. I have heard rumors of quality subcontractors inflating prices and sad this is affecting your dream house. :sosad:

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
If you were asking about mine, I do have a small front porch in the plans but it is under the roof line and is a very basic porch. No screen or anything like that, just regular pressure treated wood. I think it is about 6ft - 8ft x 20 ft. The entire house I am trying to build is roughly 1500 sqft under roof with the porch on the front.

I just had another bid come in yesterday at around $350k..... I do not think a bank would even loan that on the projected house. I do not see where it would appraise at that price after construction and land, it isn't anything special.

I have had builders from outside the area tell me that it is because the guys down here have enough work that is high end with a higher profit margin that they do not need to take on smaller projects unless they can make a large profit off of it and that subs are charging the contractors crazy amounts for the work that they are doing. Not saying that this is the case, it is simply what I have been told. It is impressive to me that they are able to throw these prices at people for such small homes and that people actually pay that. Before I pay $350k for a 1500 sqft house, I can buy a larger one for less. I am holding out to find someone that can either build for what I think is reasonable.... Or I will do like someone else on here said and buy a modular.

$175/ft is not out of the norm for the house construction only. If you include the lot in your square footage, that can skew your numbers and can differ widely because of location. Houses on pilings are going to be higher per square foot for a number of reasons not the least of which is the pilings installation, the more extensive use of scaffolding, the underpinning, extra stairs, covered porches, etc. Also, smaller square foot houses have a larger per square foot price because you still have to have all the same amount of mechanicals for a small house as a large house. The extra square footage of empty floor space is relatively cheaper.