• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Dreamer

Beach Lover
Dec 29, 2014
Northwest Georgia
I am looking for an affordable architect. Home size approximately 2200 sq. ft. Been searching internet for home plans, but with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Abby Prentiss

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
I am looking for an affordable architect. Home size approximately 2200 sq. ft. Been searching internet for home plans, but with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tim Tricker is amazing ...
Projects

BlaineAtk

Beach Comber
Mar 31, 2012
Yeah, maybe it's just strange to me that not long ago a house on pilings, in the same area, same size roughly, were built and sold for 179k.

As I said before, I know very little about building and construction. It's just very difficult for me to understand how a small house like that can be valued anywhere near that to build. Maybe if there was a high level of finish but not for a standard finish level.

I actually just had another estimate come in yesterday at 356k.

For that price then include the land cost (under 500k), I could purchase plenty of houses on the mls currently that are bigger and finished well.

Garrett Horn

Beach Lover
Mar 2, 2017
I'm not sure where you are getting 179k from. That is so last century. (I'm trying to be funny). The construction of a house involves so many "parts" and subcontractors. Picture each one of these parts costing more through natural inflation (Cokes use to cost 15 cents, back in the day) and it just adds up. Picture the costs of material always going up because of demand. Picture workman's comp insurance at around 40% for every workman out there. Picture regulations that require hurricane proof building procedures and impact resistant windows and doors.
That being said, possibly the best way to insure you are getting the best deal you can, is actually a cost-plus contract, in which the builder gives you copies of all costs of material and subcontractors he incurs, and you agree on a set contractor's fee that you negotiate in advance. If a builder bids a fixed amount on a house, he will have to include a contingency fee, sometimes called "padding" in case things go wrong, which almost always happens. If he estimates too tight, he runs the chance of going out of business. Back in the day, I bid a house, and Hurricane Hugo hit Charleston, and the price of 1/2" plywood tripled overnight. Ouch!

BlaineAtk

Beach Comber
Mar 31, 2012
Hey Garrett,

Thanks for the explanation! I surely understand that they must make a profit. Hopefully I'll find a price that I can swallow move forward with!

The times I wish I had learned how to build! I'm sure there is a good feeling of accomplishment if you hands on build your own house!

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Yes, I fell into building as a young man, and loved the feeling of accomplishment from standing walls and drying in a roof. Then you progress on into liability, workman's comp, cost over-runs, change orders, and constant number-crunching. Funny how things change.

BlaineAtk

Beach Comber
Mar 31, 2012
Haha I can imagine, I simply meant one time and that being my own home.

I understand the business end of it, time schedules are my nightmare. I am a ship captain and frequently have to explain why it may take us twice as long to get somewhere when we are running through storms or whatever other environmental forces may be delaying us. Then our marketing departments don't market our ships accurately...they can always go much faster, carry much more cargo, and hold in much more severe weather according to them. Then I'm stuck trying to explain to someone that the guy they spoke with was a salesman....

chitown

Beach Comber
Aug 8, 2015
Haha I can imagine, I simply meant one time and that being my own home.

I understand the business end of it, time schedules are my nightmare. I am a ship captain and frequently have to explain why it may take us twice as long to get somewhere when we are running through storms or whatever other environmental forces may be delaying us. Then our marketing departments don't market our ships accurately...they can always go much faster, carry much more cargo, and hold in much more severe weather according to them. Then I'm stuck trying to explain to someone that the guy they spoke with was a salesman....
Hey Garrett,

Thanks for the explanation! I surely understand that they must make a profit. Hopefully I'll find a price that I can swallow move forward with!

The times I wish I had learned how to build! I'm sure there is a good feeling of accomplishment if you hands on build your own house!

BlaineAtk - Are the bids broken down for you to see what the costs are for specifics items? If so, do any seem high to you?

BlaineAtk

Beach Comber
Mar 31, 2012
No, I haven't actually gotten any paperwork from anyone with a cost breakdown. What I have basically been getting is an email from the builders stating what they estimate that I will spend to get it built.... I have been sending out my plans and then they reply about two weeks later give or take with a pretty basic answer saying that they can build for x amount of dollars. I have gotten prices from 225k which seems decent all the way up to 356K. I dont see how the price can vary that much without someone on the high end making a pile of money....

I have discussed options which I want a basic finish level, no landscaping, I have pay upfront for land clearing, no appliances in the cost as I am paying for them cash, surveys paying upfront, the house a consistent pitch all the way down which doesnt change or have multiple pitches, no protruding areas from the house as it is just a rectangle, front porch not screened in and it will be regular pressure treated wood, the lower area is open, no concrete driveway or concrete slab under the house, etc.