• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I was making the point that it's easy to write something on the Internet and post it because there is no filter or review process to ensure that something is "believable," but there is a higher bar to jump when you publish in a newspaper because they review those things before they get printed.

Nobody threatened you...but why would you want to libel someone and why do you gossip about people so much, including private citizens?

Anyone and I do mean anyone can write a "GUEST Column for a newspaper. There is also a disclaimer by any legitimate newspaper that the opinions expressed either in guest columns or "Letters to the Editor" are solely the writers and are not necessarily those of the newspaper. That doesn't make Weimorts column legitimate but as I've said previously, it speaks volumes to his agenda.

Gossip? WTH? Gossip would be to say things about someone to another person that you wouldn't say to their face. I've been very honest with Weimorts in my sentiments. I don't like him. Since he reads here and is marking every post I make with his disdain for me, I think it's safe to assume the feelings mutual. :) Happy Dance!

I have not libeled anyone and if I have I'm sure whoever it is I am "alleged" to have libeled will have no problems proving that in court. Yes, he is a private citizen which is why I have bitten my tongue about what I really think of him.

LarsAtTheBeach

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2008
Not the same thing. A lot of residents around here believe some bureaucrat decades ago illegally told some beachfront owner that they could sell the beach. To us it's like telling you now you own the road in front of your house so feel free to add it to your deed legal description.
You are a loon.

Property owners can only sell what's deeded to them. Beachfront or bay front or interior.

The road in front of your house was also privately owned and deeded property at one point. In most cases. The landowner dedicated the ROW to the county as part of his subdivision. In most cases.

In many cases, one actually does own the road (and ROW) in front of his house. Collectively, along with his neighbors in subdivisions with private streets.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Business License = New Revenue Stream
Nothing more. And the same is true of most places that require one. Handy little database to have, though.

fletch7245

Beach Lover
Jun 19, 2012
People across Walton County are scratching their heads about who is “behind” the election advertising being placed by the shadowy Washington, D.C., group “Our Generation.”

We’ll probably never know. But do we need to?

Our Generation’s history as an organization should have Walton County voters very uncomfortable about trusting anything that this group has to say — regardless of who is paying for the mailings, online videos and spam emails and text that are bombarding Walton County voters.

Specifically, Our Generation has been rocked by allegations that it runs complicated schemes to “scam” senior citizens of their retirement money — with proceeds totaling millions of dollars. Newspapers in the state of Washington, Tennessee, California and Illinois have all written about Our Generation’s tactics. According to these reports, the group sends official-looking mailers to senior citizens asking them to send donations to save “the senior center,” or to pay to complete a “National Census” survey — with all proceeds apparently going right back to the organization’s coffers, not to a local senior center or government entity.

One newspaper described these tactics as a “financial scam.” Another called it a “mail scam.” And yet another called it a “scam target(ing) senior citizens.” The Better Business Bureau has reported that these mailings are alleged “scare tactics,” and has given Our Generation a grade of “F” for horrible behavior.

Federal lawmakers have sharply criticized the group. One member of Congress described Our Generation’s mailers as a “poorly veiled attempt to trick seniors into providing their credit card information,” while another Congressman described the organization’s activities as a “scam.”

Why would an organization do this? The answer is: It’s all about money.

Publicly available financial reports show that the organization uses funds from their mailings simply to raise more money. Money raised by a mailing goes directly to fundraising companies that are owned by individuals who serve (or served previously) on Our Generation’s board. For example, one company that is owned by a leader of Our Generation was paid $2.3 million by the organization in just one year. They raise money from seniors so that they can keep making money for the purpose of raising more money. A vicious circle that generates an endless money loop with very little public policy involved.

A review of Our Generation’s “Changing the World” blogs on its website shows some of the only public policy changes the group advocates are giving clemency to imprisoned drug dealers and advocating senior citizens’ use of marijuana. Is this the sort of Washington, D.C., group we need “informing” us how to vote in Walton County?

Given this information, Melanie Nipper and Bill Fletcher, the Walton County Commission candidates who are benefiting from Our Generation’s largesse, should consider sending cease-and-desist letters to the organization demanding that they stop their activities and they should publicly renounce the organization’s advertisements — both the positive advertisements about themselves and glut of negative hit pieces on their opponents.

It’s time to look out for the next generation — not to believe the propaganda from “Our Generation.” Walton County voters will prove they won’t be scammed when they vote on August 30th.

Michael L. Weimorts, Esq., is a resident of Point Washington.

(Guest Column appeared in today's Sunday Paper by the NWFL Daily News.)
Mr. Weimorts says people in Walton County are scratching their heads about who is behind the advertising by Our Generation and suggests we don't need to know. He then eviscerates their veracity by attacking their motives and stating the BBB gives them "a grade of "F" for horrible behavior". Actually, the BBB gives them a rating of "C-" and never mentions that it was because of "horrible behavior". While not outstanding, a "C-" is a whole lot better than the "F" rating Mr. Weimorts is erroneously stating. Personally, I would like to know who is funding Our Generation because I would like to thank them for the mailers they have sent on my behalf and ask them to end the negative ads. However, I spoke to our Supervisor of Elections shortly after the mailers started appearing (and before the negative ads started) and expressed my concern the it could be done without my input or approval. I was informed that, if I communicated with them, I would be breaking the law as it is illegal for a candidate to communicate with an outside group. Not sure I understand the rationale of that, but certainly do not plan on breaking the law. In fact, an article in today's Northwest Florida Daily News contained the following, "Under Florida election rules, contact between candidates and outside groups is not allowed". My assumption is that Mr. Weimorts was encouraging me and Mrs. Nipper to contact the group so we could be charged with a crime. In the August 4, 2016 issue of the DeFuniak Springs Herald, I placed a full page political ad; the following paragraph is a verbatim section from that ad;
"Most of you have probably seen the negative ads being run against Commissioners Imfeld and Chapman by a group called Our Generation. I emphatically and categorically deny any knowledge of the folks funding this group. Although I appreciated the mailers supporting me (something that was a complete surprise) I am strongly opposed to negative ads and wish they would cease. I'm not running against any of the other candidates, I'm running for all the citizens of Walton County!"
Lastly, some of the Candidates and others on social media are saying this election is about the Customary Use issue; nothing could be further from the truth! I've been to many Candidate Forums over the past several months and assure you that every County Commissioner candidate is for the public's right to the beach. Unfortunately, failure of the BCC for many years to address poor code enforcement against those abusing beachfront homeowners property and strict regulations on beach vendors has escalated to the point where this issue will be decided in the courts and will cost Walton County taxpayers a great deal of money. Finally, absolutely no special interest group or individual has asked me to commit to anything. Anyone that knows me understands I don't operate that way.

LarsAtTheBeach

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2008
"Unfortunately, failure of the BCC for many years to address poor code enforcement against those abusing beachfront homeowners property and strict regulations on beach vendors has escalated to the point where this issue will be decided in the courts and will cost Walton County taxpayers a great deal of money."

And yet, many will re-elect some of those same BCC members? :dunno:

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Mr. Weimorts says people in Walton County are scratching their heads about who is behind the advertising by Our Generation and suggests we don't need to know. He then eviscerates their veracity by attacking their motives and stating the BBB gives them "a grade of "F" for horrible behavior". Actually, the BBB gives them a rating of "C-" and never mentions that it was because of "horrible behavior". While not outstanding, a "C-" is a whole lot better than the "F" rating Mr. Weimorts is erroneously stating. Personally, I would like to know who is funding Our Generation because I would like to thank them for the mailers they have sent on my behalf and ask them to end the negative ads. However, I spoke to our Supervisor of Elections shortly after the mailers started appearing (and before the negative ads started) and expressed my concern the it could be done without my input or approval. I was informed that, if I communicated with them, I would be breaking the law as it is illegal for a candidate to communicate with an outside group. Not sure I understand the rationale of that, but certainly do not plan on breaking the law. In fact, an article in today's Northwest Florida Daily News contained the following, "Under Florida election rules, contact between candidates and outside groups is not allowed". My assumption is that Mr. Weimorts was encouraging me and Mrs. Nipper to contact the group so we could be charged with a crime. In the August 4, 2016 issue of the DeFuniak Springs Herald, I placed a full page political ad; the following paragraph is a verbatim section from that ad;
"Most of you have probably seen the negative ads being run against Commissioners Imfeld and Chapman by a group called Our Generation. I emphatically and categorically deny any knowledge of the folks funding this group. Although I appreciated the mailers supporting me (something that was a complete surprise) I am strongly opposed to negative ads and wish they would cease. I'm not running against any of the other candidates, I'm running for all the citizens of Walton County!"
Lastly, some of the Candidates and others on social media are saying this election is about the Customary Use issue; nothing could be further from the truth! I've been to many Candidate Forums over the past several months and assure you that every County Commissioner candidate is for the public's right to the beach. Unfortunately, failure of the BCC for many years to address poor code enforcement against those abusing beachfront homeowners property and strict regulations on beach vendors has escalated to the point where this issue will be decided in the courts and will cost Walton County taxpayers a great deal of money. Finally, absolutely no special interest group or individual has asked me to commit to anything. Anyone that knows me understands I don't operate that way.

All I can add to this Mr. Fletcher is...consider the source or the "writer" of said column!

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I have only this to add. If you wish someone who will speak their mind and always consider the citizens of Walton County, you will vote for and elect Bill Fletcher to the Walton County BCC.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
"Unfortunately, failure of the BCC for many years to address poor code enforcement against those abusing beachfront homeowners property and strict regulations on beach vendors has escalated to the point where this issue will be decided in the courts and will cost Walton County taxpayers a great deal of money."

And yet, many will re-elect some of those same BCC members? :dunno:

OMG! WOW! Doing the Happy Dance!
latest

I actually agree with you on 1 thing!

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
uh...don't forget to ask him which ones should not be re-elected. He's been known to be mavericky.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
Business License = New Revenue Stream
Nothing more. And the same is true of most places that require one. Handy little database to have, though.
I would agree if the licensing cost were high, but no one on here has suggested anything more than administrative costs of $25-$50 or so. The accountability that comes with licensing is important IMO. It allows the County to check for insurance and qualifications that might be needed to keep the county out of potential situations that could arise and it gives consumers a way to see if someone is legit or a "fly-by-night" "business".