Petition to Ban Confederate Flag from Walton County Courthouse

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Beauford, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Dawn

Dawn Beach Fanatic

It doesn't matter what the intentions are. The flag has become a racist symbol and shouldn't be on our public property. Rightly or wrongly, it has come to symbolize racism, and if you are trying to keep it in place then you are on the wrong side.

Stick to defending Jameis Winston.

2. poppy

poppy Banned

The first amendment guarantees you rednecks will still be able to fly your racist flag on your personal property. Take comfort in knowing you can continue to insult your fellow citizens.

3. Leader of the Banned

Leader of the Banned Beach Fanatic

By all means, anyone who wants to display the flag privately should do so. It serves as a warning. To me the flag says "beware of toxic personality".

4. Leader of the Banned

They all serve the same purpose:

warning-bio-hazard-md.png radiation_hazard_warning_sign.png battleflag-300x190.jpg

5. Cuff

Cuff Beach Lover

Professor Oritz's letter is obviously well researched and based on facts. Facts are pesky things. That flag represents slavery, rape, hangings, whippings, starvation, immeasurable suffering and the vilest and corrupt side of mankind. Fact. There is no bias from Professor Oritz's facts nor mine.

6. mputnal

mputnal Beach Fanatic

The methods by which we disagree with another is very important. I guess it depends on the value you place on human beings. Disagree with disrespect or disagree with respect. It says a lot about who you are. Not so much about what you know. If you never learn how to communicate with respect with those that oppose your opinions how do you think you will ever make a positive difference in this world? Ah, now I understand what motivates you!

7. Leader of the Banned

If you have to beg for respect, chances are you haven't earned it.

8. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

I felt the letter was intended to just address one issue regarding the actual usage of the flag over time, without going into the entire history of the south. Also as he starts the letter, he explains that this is his opinion on removing the flag. So, he is telling what he knows and what he believes, and providing references for those who are interested in learning more. It's an opinion letter, using some of his own personal experiences as well. Anyone can do the same by writing to the Walton County BCC or attending the upcoming meeting. I do not believe his intention was to provide a comprehensive historical account.

I've seen the footage of Governor Wallace raising his confederate flag and saying "we don't need no stinkin' civil rights...". Southern states took a stand and used this flag to support it and symbolize it. And people are just now looking back on that time and realizing that yes, we did that. It may be difficult to acknowledge and accept. But yes, we did that. We can undo that now. It's the right thing.

9. Leader of the Banned

I'll own up to being disrespectful if the flag defenders will own up to being pathetic.

10. Misty

Misty Banned

Ya know poppy, for the most part I agree with many or most of your posts but sometimes I think you ate a few fruit loops to many. I can think of any number of things people say or do that most would consider offensive or insulting but a piece of cloth just isn't on my top 10 list.

And honestly, I just don't think your personality is that fragile either.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  11. Misty

Misty Banned

Says the guy with the most "shock value, edited for curse words" posts.

12. poppy

poppy Banned

I wasn't referring to myself being insulted. You see Misty, it isn't all about me, I care about the effect this racist symbol has on my fellow man. A man whose ancestors may have been forced to live in bondage under this flag. If you can give me one single upside to continue flying an unofficial flag on our public flag poles it will be the first I've heard. The only flags that should be hoisted on a permanent basis are the American, state, and if applicable, county.

13. Leader of the Banned

I see no connection between adults using adult language and toxic personalities. They have nothing to do with each other.

14. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Looks like if you need a new flag, it will be damn near impossible to find one that is made in America.

China is making bank on people scrambling to get their stash of confederate flag merch.

Hmm. Dilemma for some?

15. Misty

Misty Banned

The American flag supported slavery and mass genocide from past wars. You may be proud of that but myself, not so much.

P.S. I knew your personality wasn't that fragile. :)

16. poppy

poppy Banned

If you believe that then don't ever fly another American flag. You are free to make that choice.

17. Misty

Misty Banned

I've never flown any flag, always refused to stand for the pledge of allegiance and prayer in school when I was a kid and am pretty agnostic when it comes to religion. I always felt that was my choice....always a renegade some would say but I've always considered it "free will".

18. Teresa

America the beautiful. She started out with the right ideals. She's still working on them... It's a wonderful work in progress...

FB_IMG_1436664392283.jpg

19. Danny Glidewell

Danny Glidewell Beach Fanatic

I swore I was going to stay out of this thread because nothing constructive is being promoted, but I found this article that illustrates just how complex history is and how inane some of the actions of the past month really are. The city of Memphis seeks to dig up the remains of General Nathan Bedford Forrest and his wife and remove a memorial to him. This article explains why Forrest might not be the demon some make him out to be. Notice this is from Huffington Post, certainly no right-wing rag.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-a-tures/general-nathan-bedford-fo_b_7734444.html

[h=1]General Nathan Bedford Forrest Versus the Ku Klux Klan[/h]
    Think that if he were alive today, General Nathan Bedford Forrest would embrace Dylann Roof, the alleged killer of nine blacks in a Charleston Church who hoped to start a race war?
    Think again. In fact, toward the end of his life, General Forrest would have likely sought to exterminate those who would kill blacks in his name, or for his "cause," like Roof.
    Sure General Nathan Bedford Forrest may have helped lead the Ku Klux Klan, and he's blamed for the massacre of Ft. Pillow, but there's a part of Forrest that needs to be told to those who continue to cheer him as a champion of the South. He eventually saw the light, softened his racism, and eventually worked to destroy the KKK. It was the best thing he ever did.
    Forrest is a controversial figure today. He's memorialized in a statue off Interstate 65 in Nashville, and I see it every time I visit my parents, who live one exit away. That statue, designed by the attorney for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s assassin, also surrounded by Confederate flags, is the subject of debate, as is the bust of him in the Tennessee statehouse, a response to Roof's slaughter of African Americans after a bible study.
    Now I've never been a fan of General Forrest. I wrote a column criticizing Generals William T. Sherman and General Nathan Bedford Forrest for their actions during the Civil War a week before the shooting, and published other articles in the past calling for Mississippi not to honor Forrest on a license plate, and Memphis not to have a statue for him.
    But even this Forrest critic can admit that the Klan founder did one great thing for this country. He disbanded the KKK, and even worked to fight those who wanted to keep it going.
    As Ben Phelan with PBS writes:
    "After only a year as Grand Wizard, in January 1869, faced with an ungovernable membership employing methods that seemed increasingly counterproductive, Forrest issued KKK General Order Number One: "It is therefore ordered and decreed, that the masks and costumes of this Order be entirely abolished and destroyed." By the end of his life, Forrest's racial attitudes would evolve -- in 1875, he advocated for the admission of blacks into law school -- and he lived to fully renounce his involvement with the all-but-vanished Klan."

If you read Eddy W. Davison's "Nathan Bedford Forrest: In Search of the Enigma," on page 464 and 474-475, you can see that Forrest not only publicly disavowed the KKK and worked to terminate it, but in August 1874, Forrest "volunteered to help 'exterminate' those men responsible for the continued violence against the blacks." After the murder of four blacks by a lynch mob after they were arrested for defending themselves at a BBQ, Forrest wrote to Tennessee Governor Brown, offering "to exterminate the white marauders who disgrace their race by this cowardly murder of Negroes."
    So for those who seek to kill blacks while waving a Confederate flag, or those who burn African American churches across the South, including my state of Georgia, keep this in mind: General Nathan Bedford Forrest, and the Confederate War heroes you worship, wouldn't have approved. In fact, they might have fought you for your illegal actions.
    John A. Tures is a professor of political science at LaGrange College in LaGrange, Ga. He can be reached at jtures@lagrange.edu.

20. Teresa

Danny, thanks for sharing that look into people's lives on the battle and beyond. Interesting articles.. Those stories are endless and important, written by people today who are telling us stories, along with their own personal thoughts and ideas. So much history about the people of our land... The stories give us a slice of our history and show how people lived, fought, thought...

Such a rich history filled stories and complex issues that are still relevant today.

I truly doubt memorials or gravesites will be disturbed. These aren't reasonable actions and wouldn't accomplish anything. The dukes of hazard TV show was also not relevant in the least.

I appreciate your contribution as well as everyone's.