Petition to Ban Confederate Flag from Walton County Courthouse

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Beauford, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson Beach Fanatic

image-3020164893.jpg

Kinda like watching a ping pong game folks.

The horse is dead !

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  2. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

Maybe so. But there's so much for all to learn about real southern history. I've benefited quite a lot online, reading excellent pieces in the issue, and seeing reactions and responses of so many people. All very interesting.

I do appreciate hearing from our Yankee friends on the issue too. Thanks Mango.

3. poppy

poppy Banned

Like a ping pong game, you can always stop watching.

4. mputnal

mputnal Beach Fanatic

Poppy, we have all ranted a bit here including yourself. It is a passionate subject on both sides however I now realize it should be up to the people like Danny Glidewell and others who have a long history in Walton county.

Misguided and sick people will hijack anything to be recognized. I am sorry you don't get it that most people in this County see the confederate flag as a memorial but you don't. Unless you have evolved into some kind of mind reader then at least agree to let Walton County Voters decide the fate of the confederate flag.

I know, you are very offended that some do not agree with you and you lash out with personal attacks. Since you are the caretaker of all right and wrong could you please try to be aware that it is wrong to judge others and attack them with offensive words when they have an opinion that you reject? You also have good points but when you offend another human I believe the point gets lost in emotional reactions. Also, try to recognize that there are two sides to most issues and the opposing side may be just as passionate as you. Expression, discussion and debate are the Freedoms that did not come without the ultimate sacrifice of many people. I know you appreciate this Freedom so being tolerate of people who disagree with you will validate this appreciation.

5. mputnal

mputnal Beach Fanatic

There were a group of people who were trying so hard to make a statement about their disagreement with the Vietnam war that they went too far and personally disrespected the Vietnam Soldiers.

Southern Heritage is real. I hope I just misunderstood your intent of that word.

6. poppy

poppy Banned

The truth is not determined by a poll. A fact isn't a fact because a group believes it to be so. When faced with the ignorance being displayed by the flag's defenders, even after overwhelming evidence presented to contradict their belief that for decades this symbol doesn't represent hatred, it is difficult to maintain ones's composure.

7. mputnal

mputnal Beach Fanatic

Poppy, Yes there is evidence to support your position but much of that evidence is heresay. This is a democratic society and therefore it makes sense that Walton County should decide the issue. You and I regardless of that outcome should respect that decision. We are talking about an entire community some with a very long history not just a group of people. We may not always like the outcome of our democratic process but it is the way we govern society.

Listen, I truly respect your opinion and get it. I also respect those confederate soldiers who died. I feel strongly compelled to error on the side of that ultimate sacrifice.

8. Teresa

Yes southern Heritage is real. American Heritage is real. We're about to celebrate the birth of our country and that's what it's all about... The land of the free. Honoring all the brave who have fought for our freedoms. The civil war was important in the big picture... All who fought on both sides were heroes. We stand United under one flag. We are the United States of America.

FB_IMG_1435842781934.jpg

9. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

The "facts" presented by som posters here are often really left wing propaganda. Always consider the source. Bob Hudson is right. Enough has been said on the subject on both sides. And mputal3 is right as well. Let the long time residents and voters of Walton County decide the issue. And one more word. Teresa, I don't know if you meant no one did spit on our soldiers or whether you meant is shouldn't happen. Believe me when I say it did happen to one of my buddies and servicemen, at the time, were advised not to wear their uniforms on their return to the West Coast.

10. Teresa

Facts are good things. I believe we need more of them. Knowing our history is so important. Education is our heritage.

All our soldiers are heroes.

11. poppy

poppy Banned

The evidence and facts did not come from chain e-mails, they came from historical documents and research on the history of civil rights.

Edit: Pardon me I forgot rightwingers believe facts have a Liberal bias.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  12. Teresa

Everyone here has contributed useful facts, thought provoking ideas, honest opinions. I appreciate them, especially those who leave the drama out of it, refrain from judgment of those opinions you don't connect with, and keep it civil.

13. poppy

poppy Banned

We're talking about facts, not opinions.

14. Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson Beach Fanatic

Copy then fill in your name and print your Award !!

image-2886735324.jpg

15. Misty

Misty Banned

Bob,

Who died and left you in charge or was this a self anointing?

16. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

Bob is brilliant, and completely correct on this point. I apologize for adding one more sentence to this...

17. mputnal

mputnal Beach Fanatic

The reason this discussion is going round and round is because of that last sentence. This discussion has been hijacked by idealism on both ends. Facts have a tendency to be biased and I could prove it but I am done with this discussion. If this were not true then there would be no need for a justice system or lawyers.

18. miznotebook

miznotebook Beach Fanatic

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the courthouse memorial flag issue is on the agenda for the July 14 Walton County Board of County Commissioners meeting as a citizen request. The meeting starts at 4 p.m. at the South Walton Annex.

19. Leader of the Banned

Leader of the Banned Beach Fanatic

Bob is beating a dead horse with all of his dead horse posts.

20. poppy

poppy Banned

I just get a kick out of reading people's reasoning behind their justification for displaying this POS flag on publicly owned property.