• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

How did you vote in the School Board Referendum?

• Yes

Votes: 16 84.2%
  • No

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Seaducer

Banned
Jan 17, 2008
Destin
Maybe the Teacher's Union is strong where you live, but it is a mess in Walton County. It may as well not exist. If you believe they are running this show, think again.

Quite the opposite, you should pay better attention.

As is the case of almost every Union these days they are totally impotent and facing extinction. :clap:

Which is why they are throwing all backs to the rows on this one.
The common voter folk of Walton county have been able to choose the super until this vote,
which hasn't always been a Union puppet of their choosing so they are desperate to garner
more than a one person-one vote ratio exactly because they are so few and impotent.

I don't blame them it makes good politics sense and any tiny victory must mean everything to them these days.

Just don't believe this Yes vote empowers anyone but the teachers union, because it's nonsense

m1a1mg

Beach Fanatic
Mar 16, 2014
Lost in the world
Quite the opposite, you should pay better attention.

As is the case of almost every Union these days they are totally impotent and facing extinction. :clap:

Which is why they are throwing all backs to the rows on this one.
The common voter folk of Walton county have been able to choose the super until this vote,
which hasn't always been a Union puppet of their choosing so they are desperate to garner
more than a one person-one vote ratio exactly because they are so few and impotent.

I don't blame them it makes good politics sense and any tiny victory must mean everything to them these days.

Just don't believe this Yes vote empowers anyone but the teachers union, because it's nonsense

My wife is a teacher in Walton County and you have not one clue. Not that you ever had, mind you.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Ok Bob Hudson, JDarg, JP Nettles, Teachers Aide, AndyA, WaltonParent, the gigs up, Seaducer is onto us. One of the few things I may agree with some of you on and we got caught by a novice. Where did we go wrong, oh where? :cool:

I have a name for you Seaducer, so if you would like to find out what it is lets meet.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
I recently posted about how the NO crowd is trying to use the politics of fear in absence of facts. Seaducer's post is a classic example of exactly that. No facts presented. Just same old dribble... Be afraid, be very afraid, the teachers union has a devious plot to take over the world. This is the same union that got B--- h slapped during negotiations just a few months ago. Seaducer's statement is a joke. Same ole politics of fear and placing blame.

I am sick to death of people claiming teachers are solely to blame for bad education. If Chrysler builds a bad car, is the entire blame laid at the feet of the linemen? Of course not. Managers, designers, engineers, subcontractors ... They all take the hit. In education, the only blame goes to teachers. Let me say, I do not believe in tenure laws for public school teachers . Tenure was developed for higher education so that research professors could follow research where it lead them without fear of reprisal from administrators or donors. Public schools don't have the same role. All that said, the people who blame teachers the most ( it seems to me) are parents who think that their sole role in their child's education is to drive car pool when they have to.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I'm still trying to understand the union puppet thing. Giving me all kinds of giggles at the thought of it. Man, this superintendent election has had some weird stuff come out as reasons for voting no!

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Ok Bob Hudson, JDarg, JP Nettles, Teachers Aide, AndyA, WaltonParent, the gigs up, Seaducer is onto us. One of the few things I may agree with some of you on and we got caught by a novice. Where did we go wrong, oh where? :cool:

I have a name for you Seaducer, so if you would like to find out what it is lets meet.

Something jumped out at me when I read our list of names- the diversity of the supporters of the referendum. It is a reflection of the supporters in this race- all kinds of people, political idealogies, backgrounds. United in doing what is best for the kids, and hoping we can do what 99% of other districts do- and they hire superintendents for lots of reasons- two important ones are performance and widening the pool of talent for a candidate search.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
If you mean, do I pay buttloads of property and sales tax in Walton, then yes.

If you mean, do I like anyone in office, or even know their phone numbers, or have
even an ounce of influence with them?, then once again it's a blatant lie told by
lazy simple minded people who can't rationalize the opposite opinion they hold.
face it just because you have been hand fed this pablum by the WCEA
doesn't mean anyone not eating it is somehow misunderstanding the issue

the vote is to expand the power of the union to appoint a super, nothing more

Oh, BS!!! I agree with what you say 90% of the time, Seaducer, but on this issue you are flat wrong! Like I've said many times I've live both sides of the coin. The election of the school superintendent is a means to keep the political control of the schools in the hands of a limited few. There are other flawed reasons but that is a main one. I am certainly not a "union man". It is my very strong opinion, being both a retired state employee and a military retiree, that unions have no place in those offering public service. We weren't unionized in Oklahoma and were not hurt one bit because we weren't.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Would a hired superintendent, for example, be harder to get rid of? I'm thinking teachers unions/tenure /etc.

Hired Supers have higher pay scales which include a benefit package, career development and/or other perks. Canceling a contract could result in severance and leave pay. Additional costs could include fees for search and hiring. Paying out severance/leave packages could be very costly in addition to paying another hired Super.