• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

How did you vote in the School Board Referendum?

• Yes

Votes: 16 84.2%
  • No

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
P.S. beachrob

Adding in costs for Superintendent searches, buyout packages and benefits is what makes the voters I've talked to say it makes more economic sense to keep the Superintendent position elected.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
What jumps out at me is that the No people think that the Walton County political machine and the few states that even allow election of school district superintendents are right and the rest of the country is wrong. I doubt that Walton County and the other counties in the state that elect superintendents are the gold standard for public education. Politics has corrupted public education.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Hired Supers have higher pay scales which include a benefit package, career development and/or other perks. Canceling a contract could result in severance and leave pay. Additional costs could include fees for search and hiring. Paying out severance/leave packages could be very costly in addition to paying another hired Super.

P.S. beachrob

Adding in costs for Superintendent searches, buyout packages and benefits is what makes the voters I've talked to say it makes more economic sense to keep the Superintendent position elected.

The problem with your argument is that it's entirely hypothetical. Could, might, etc.

How about some hard actual facts?

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
Sometimes hired superintendents are worth the higher pay. Are our children getting a bargain education with hiring more entry level teachers and getting rid of more experienced teachers with graduate degrees? My daughter graduated from a school where the superintendent was hired from another state. He held a doctorate and was an outstanding educator and manager. My son graduated from South Walton High. My daughter got a better deal and was better prepared for college.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
The problem with your argument is that it's entirely hypothetical. Could, might, etc.

How about some hard actual facts?

Do tell....what's hypothetical about it? The board decides they don't like who they hired and here comes the severance pay and perks in addition to hiring another Super. It's happened in Florida.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I will grant you that this clip is from an article written in 2010. However, education costs have increased so it can only get worse.

Indian River spent $56,626 on its superintendent search in 2007 and $38,000 in 2003, St. Lucie spent about $21,000 in 2003.
The cost involved when an appointed superintendent leaves a district also can be high.
Indian River paid Roger Dearing about $73,358 in unused sick and vacation time when he resigned in 2003 as schools superintendent to take a position in Manatee County. Indian River paid Tom Maher about $374,438 for 18 months of salary and benefits when the school board fired him in 2005. St. Lucie gave Schools Superintendent Michael Lannon about $115,000 in accrued sick and vacation time when he retired in 2009. He was rehired 30 days later at the same base pay of $175,000.

That is just one instance...do your own research LOCAL.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Just because the Indian River school board and others obviously have a stupid school board with obviously very poor adminstrative assistance, doesn't mean a thing or supports not hiring a superintendent in Walton County.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
She knows that the legislature resolved the issue of "termination without cause" after all of the cases she states. If a elected supt is terminated for cause they get no severance pay.

She also knows that any employee is paid for ALL accrued but unused vacation and sick leave when they leave regardless of whether they were fired, retired or resigned.

That same thing will happen when the current "elected" superintendent "retires" in two years.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
That brings up a question. I wonder what the "retirement" of the present superintendent is going to cost the county?

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I will grant you that this clip is from an article written in 2010. However, education costs have increased so it can only get worse.

That is just one instance...do your own research LOCAL.

Where are you finding this? This is the second time someone has posted this, but upon googling it you find that the Superintendent also stayed on pro bono for 3 years following his retirement.