• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I don't mean to question ecopal on a public board, but I have my doubts as to the validity/existance of this "law." Even the regular locals like Kurt and Smiling Joe have never mentioned it.

Here's a plea for someone, anyone with local knowledge to step forward and confirm or deny the existance of this supposed mandatory stoppage of all beach construction by May 1.

thumper

Beach Comber
Jun 15, 2005
Board of County Commissioners
News Release
Thursday, February 23, 2006
Gerry Demers, Walton County Building Department, (850) 267-2084

"Turtle nesting season starts on May 1 of each year and continues through October 31. Walton County has no authority to allow work on the beach under the temporary armoring permits during this period. The only way owners and contractors can conduct construction on the beach is to obtain a permit from the DEP that specifically allows construction during this time.

Many property owners have applied to DEP for a permanent beach armoring permit, but have not received a reply. Submitting the application does not allow continued construction on the beach during turtle nesting season. Property owners must have a permit from DEP and a ?Notice to Proceed? that allows work during this
period."

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Well, considering how they have continually looked the other way on all the illegal seawalls, why should one expect them to begin enforcing another rule now? I fully expect the seawall construction to continue unabated all summer, ruining the vacations of thousands of tourists whose dollars allow the community to exist in the first place.

IMO, the only remaining positive attribute to the area right now is the beauty of the gulf water. I'm sure they'll find a way to eventually screw that up too.

Thanks for that though, Thumper. You can rest assured Mr. Demers will be receiving a call from me tomorrow.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
thumper said:
I believe Beach Renourishment is the answer. And to do that in a timely manner would undoubtedly require having to compromise the quality of our sand. This is a sad fact we have to face. And it is costly, and temporary. But it is a farbetter solution than seawalls. I don't need to list all the reasons why, they've been detailed already.

Why so much sadness around here? ;-)

It looks like the nourshment project in west Walton County is a BIG SUCCESS so far. The article in this mid-week's Destin Log front page has an article detailing this. Sand quality appears to be top notch. The beach is SIGNIFICANTLY wider than before. Beach goers are raving over the results. I do understand this top notch sand is in possible short supply however.

Which begs the question... where does all the sand go when the beach is eroded? Not really looking for an answer.

One way to test this theory:
Beach front owners, ask yourself this. Please be brutally honest with yourself. If the worst case scenario happened, and the seawalls do indeed end up eroding our beaches as they did in St. Simons, Galveston and other places, would you sell your South Walton home and re-purchase elsewhere as a result? Would you be inclined to go where there is a nicer beach? Your sincere answer to this could be illuminating, and just may provide clarity towards the best solutions to this difficult question.

I'm banging my head against (my retaining) wall... pretty brutal, don't you think? :funn:

OK seriously... regarding your statement... "...would you sell your South Walton home and re-purchase elsewhere as a result".

There is no where else that I would purchase beach front property other than South Walton. Santa Rosa Beach is the most beautiful beach (in my opinion) in the entire U.S. Now, I guess if I take a liking to black sand beaches, I'll move to HI. :lol:

If the erosion ends up at the my retaining wall..... well then I've been looking for a way to cut my cruising time down from the bay to the Gulf. If the water laps up against the retaining wall, then I can build a pier out in front of my home and dock my boat there... "Blue Mountain Harbour Front". Take note real estate agents...it's all in the marketing. :rotfl:

Now, let me ask you a serious question (not brutal, but serious).....

Now, what do you think causes the majority of erosion along most of Florida's coast?

Think about it a little before you try to answer. If you can, please try to back up your answer with factual reference.

If anyone else know's the answer, jump in !!! Or better yet, maybe it would be more interesting to wait and see what other's say.

Sincerely,
BMBV

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
TooFarTampa said:
Also, I'm wondering, when the beach construction stops -- that doesn't necessarily mean it will be finished, right? Just that it isn't going on anymore? There may be a mad scramble to get done but what if everyone doesn't? Who knows who will be left with what chair when the music stops? If I were JB I would be looking at other options too.

With your VRBO listing tagged at the bottom of all your posts, are you sure you don't have an agenda? :rofl:

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
thumper said:
Board of County Commissioners
News Release
Thursday, February 23, 2006
Gerry Demers, Walton County Building Department, (850) 267-2084

"Turtle nesting season starts on May 1 of each year and continues through October 31. Walton County has no authority to allow work on the beach under the temporary armoring permits during this period. The only way owners and contractors can conduct construction on the beach is to obtain a permit from the DEP that specifically allows construction during this time.

Many property owners have applied to DEP for a permanent beach armoring permit, but have not received a reply. Submitting the application does not allow continued construction on the beach during turtle nesting season. Property owners must have a permit from DEP and a ?Notice to Proceed? that allows work during this
period."

Great FACTUAL and accurate post!

Thanks, Thumper for sharing that with everyone.
BMBV

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
JB said:
Well, considering how they have continually looked the other way on all the illegal seawalls, why should one expect them to begin enforcing another rule now? I fully expect the seawall construction to continue unabated all summer, ruining the vacations of thousands of tourists whose dollars allow the community to exist in the first place.

IMO, the only remaining positive attribute to the area right now is the beauty of the gulf water. I'm sure they'll find a way to eventually screw that up too.

Thanks for that though, Thumper. You can rest assured Mr. Demers will be receiving a call from me tomorrow.

JB,

Why don't you tell us where you're going to stay, and let one of us on this board in the area eyeball it for you and give you a report. No sense in shaving years off your life because of all this.

Hope this helps.
BMBV

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
400 block of Blue Mountain Road. The same house shown in the Pensacola News Journal article from yesterday with the seawall halfway completed (a project that is supposed to be completed by April 1.

Smiling Joe just looked at this very area less than two weeks ago and said the beach, and the seawall construction all the way from the 83 public beach to Redfish Lake is a freaking disaster. That ain't all going to get fixed in six weeks.

And I'm damn pissed about it.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
BlueMtnBeachVagrant said:
With your VRBO listing tagged at the bottom of all your posts, are you sure you don't have an agenda? :rofl:

Other board members use their VRBO or rental house info as their signature line. Nobody seems to have a problem with it, in fact, I find it comes in handy to remember who owns what property. Your comment about TFT's signature line was unnecessay, off topic, and snotty.

thumper

Beach Comber
Jun 15, 2005
If the erosion ends up at the my retaining wall..... well then I've been looking for a way to cut my cruising time down from the bay to the Gulf. If the water laps up against the retaining wall, then I can build a pier out in front of my home and dock my boat there... "Blue Mountain Harbour Front". Take note real estate agents...it's all in the marketing. :rotfl:

Surely you must not have meant to come off as flippant and sarcastic as this (unintentionally?) sounded. Obviously we all care deeply about whether the beach survives, as most beach users are non-beach front owners.

So if there is no beach to walk, you say would not sell your house? I'm glad to hear that. Same answer if your house was not beach- (or in this case Water-)front? Myself, I will definitely move if we lose our beach. And yes, that really is sad.

Now, what do you think causes the majority of erosion along most of Florida's coast?[/U

No offense intended, but this is irrelevant to the discussion. Obviously, natural forces are the primary cause of endless cycles of erosion and accretion. We're discussing whether seawalls accelerate erosion, as well as BF owner's choices, and alternative solutions that might benefit all, not just a few.

To BMBV, or anyone else building a sea wall: Would you be willing to tear down your wall if renourishment could be imminently enacted?