• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
BlueMtnBeachVagrant said:
With your VRBO listing tagged at the bottom of all your posts, are you sure you don't have an agenda? :rofl:

(Thank you jdarg.)

Yes, my house is for rent. That is not news to anyone who is a regular lurker or poster on this board. It is also not news to those people that SHELLY is not a real estate agent. Perhaps you should read a few other threads before making assumptions? You have made an awful lot of them in this thread, while many of us have been busy trying to discuss the larger issues.

Sometimes I use the signature, sometimes I don't.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
ecopal said:
To BMBvagrant:
Your biggest immediate problem is your anger which not only hurts your credibility but is self destructive to your health. I empathize with your unresolved grieving issues over your property losses.
Now you're sticking your nose into my health? BTW empathy from you is really not needed by me... I assure you. Some of my losses were covered by insurance. Future losses are covered by my diligent efforts in researching ALL facets of retaining wall construction as well as the legalities involved and then paying for it - not taking a cheaper (weaker wall) way out. DO TAKE COMFORT that this incidental take stuff is a little confusing however. But my health is still good. Thanks for caring.

I also comprehend the difficult choices you undoubtedly had to make to put in a seawall. I can imagine that none of the options you faced were very pleasant. Putting in a seawall could have been the best short term solution for you personally.
Oh no!! Thanks! (Fellow GF owners, I may be waning from my staunch position with all this nicety...... na.... fear not!)

You will have to live with the consequences of your decision good or bad. Unfortunately so may others who use the beach including animal and human.
I know, I know, I know, I know... I'm destroying the beach. You've already said that.

I do know one beach front owner whose property is in harms way that decided not to put up seawalls or install geotubes.

They felt that spending considerable money on a seawall/geotube with such extremely uncertain benefits and outcomes is not worth the expense and potential risks.
You know what? That's not the first time I've heard that, even from a few beach front owners who had a hard time deciding the same thing and fro the same reasons? Surprised?

I struggled with other GF owners that felt the same way: "...all walls will fail anyway" (basically some of the same rehtoric on this board). So if they believe this and also if they don't have the financial wherewithall to execute the project, then yes, your "one beach front owner" made a decision, but maybe not based on the best information available to them or for financial reasons.

They are also concerned about issues such as potential fines from government agencies and their personal liability if their wall should cause their neighbor?s beach and property to be scoured away due to their seawall. The harm that seawalls can do is well documented.
That's their concern, not mine regarding potential fines. You should clarify the above before I can comment on their concern.

BTW, were they entitled to have a retaining wall?

Is their neighbor to the west entitled to have a wall?

Is their neighbor to the east entitled to have a wall?

If not, is your GF owner and immediate neighbors sitting within a 250 foot (or less) gap between existing qualified walls?

Give me a crumb here !!!

Some beachfront owners are putting in white sand, planting sea oats, and installing sand fencing to protect their property since it is less risky, less expensive and more environment friendly.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give me a break with all this sea oats / sand fence / white sand stuff. We did ALL that after Opal. Ivan took it all away. We put it all back after Ivan to no avail.... ALL GONE BYE-BYE after Dennis !! What part of that and that and that do you not understand !!!!!?????? Get serious.

Oh yea.... all this occurred before most of retaining walls were built. So don't blame the past erosion of our bluffs to retaining walls that did not exist.

Of course I fully expect you and others to say... "See? I told you so. Hurricane Zebra (a mythical cat 3 hurricane) took another 15 feet of beach away "next door" because of your wall." You'll conveniently forget about the BLUFF erosion rate prior to this point in time (that's today BTW). We'll see.

Some figure that it would be cheaper to just rebuild further back on their lot if they lose their home.
Some people figure differently (doesn't make them a banker). It is never cheaper to rebuild back if the structure exists substantially undamaged compared to retaining wall protection.

I would be interested in hearing from some beach front owners that chose not to put up walls/geotubes and their rationales.
I'm not sure any GF owners want to waste their time to debate you. From feedback from my friends, I'm doing a fair job at that (wasting my time that is :funn: ). BUT yes, it would be interesting to hear from others in my / our situation.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
JB said:
400 block of Blue Mountain Road. The same house shown in the Pensacola News Journal article from yesterday with the seawall halfway completed (a project that is supposed to be completed by April 1.

Smiling Joe just looked at this very area less than two weeks ago and said the beach, and the seawall construction all the way from the 83 public beach to Redfish Lake is a freaking disaster. That ain't all going to get fixed in six weeks.

And I'm damn pissed about it.

I recall SJ talking about this. I can't remember if he posted any pictures anywhere.

SJ, do you have a "fair and balanced" recent picture of the area?

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
jdarg said:
Other board members use their VRBO or rental house info as their signature line. Nobody seems to have a problem with it, in fact, I find it comes in handy to remember who owns what property. Your comment about TFT's signature line was unnecessay, off topic, and snotty.

I T W A S A F R E A K I N J O K E !!! Did you not see the ROFL smilie ?????

Could you not see some humor in JB's digust and the COINCIDENTAL reference to VRBO. Yes, I admit, coincidental reference.....nothing more, nothing less.

GEEZE you guys are touchy!!!

No wonder the world's coming to an end!!!!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I recall SJ talking about this. I can't remember if he posted any pictures anywhere.

SJ, do you have a "fair and balanced" recent picture of the area?
I have photographed most of the property between the 83 access and Big Redfish Lake in the last two weeks. Fair and balanced cannot be obtained in one single photo in my opinion, unless I was in a helicopter or on a boat. I posted only a few photos, including the crane that is in disrepair, plenty of scrap pilings, boards with protruding nails, pile of concrete, metal bads, ropes, etc, all appearing to be leftovers or lack of proper daily clean-up from the construction or demolition. The wind was strong that week, and the topped off layer of sand on people's property was sandblasting everything around it, including my camera. Just east of the crane on the beach and near Big Redfish Lake, I also took some photos of the nice looking beach. That was about the only balance to the mess that is strewn up and down the beach.

The waves were rough and the tide must have been high, because, as I noted in my post from that day, it was apparent from the wet sand at the base of the imported sand, that the imported sand would soon be washed away if we have any serious storm coming anywhere close. While the seas were rough, I think my photos will show you that they were not too uncommon from other rough days at sea which we have every once in a while.

There are some properties which still remain hanging off the ledge waiting to cause injury to some kids who do a little trespassing, and there are some properties which have cleaned up nicely after installing a seawall and properly placing sand at the 2:1 slope required by the county. I have a few photos of those, too. I also have photos of people tracks going up that nicely placed sand, causing damage to the property owners' pricey work. As I mentioned in a post on that day, the 21st of March, I was very hesitant to post the photos because they were so disturbing to me.

Below are four photos taken in that short span of beach, which can be found in my gallery.

P3210186.JPG

P3210207.JPG

P3210127.JPG

(Above photo) Notice the nicer looking beach behind the crane. No seawalls down there, nor any homes. ;-)

P3210159.JPG

P3180060.JPG

(above photo)Just a little further east, at Big Redfish Lake, and only three days earlier than the other photos above.

Perhaps, if time allows, tomorrow, I will shoot some more photo of that stretch to see if anyone decided to clean up their poop or see if the water has left us with more beach, now that the seas are calmer.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
To JB,

It would seem to me, that based on SJ's "fair and balanced" photos there is indeed some "trash" on the beach and I have seen this for myself. I can't help believe that most of this if not all will be gone by the end of April. I AGREE it's taken too long for some of this idle equipment, material and debris to be removed.

Now, on the other hand, if nothing was done, I personally could still find beauty in the area. Seems to me, it depends on what you want to focus on, good or bad.

By the way, our area of BMB is just beautiful... just some more of that "fair and balanced" stuff.

You will have a good time on your vacation at BMB. Don't get too crazy regarding all this as then it will spoil your vacation.

Leave all the "fighting" and "bickering" to idiots like me and ecopal. ;-)

Sorry Kurt... did I just break the law again? :D

Respectfully,
BMBV

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I T W A S A F R E A K I N J O K E !!! Did you not see the ROFL smilie ?????

Could you not see some humor in JB's digust and the COINCIDENTAL reference to VRBO. Yes, I admit, coincidental reference.....nothing more, nothing less.

GEEZE you guys are touchy!!!

No wonder the world's coming to an end!!!!

Oops, my bad! I should have been paying more attention to the smilies. A well placed :rofl: always make your comments absolutely hilarious, BMBV. Now I get it! Too funny!

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
dang, sj - that red thing's a (crane) hoist hook

jeez, don't these people have any respect for their equipment?

if i was there i'd have to 'save' it from sinking completely under the sand

bring it back to the shop, clean it up and paint it yellow

another good high tide like the last one and i could probably salvage the crane, too

just makes you sick

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
To JB,

It would seem to me, that based on SJ's "fair and balanced" photos there is indeed some "trash" on the beach and I have seen this for myself. I can't help believe that most of this if not all will be gone by the end of April. I AGREE it's taken too long for some of this idle equipment, material and debris to be removed.

Now, on the other hand, if nothing was done, I personally could still find beauty in the area. Seems to me, it depends on what you want to focus on, good or bad.

By the way, our area of BMB is just beautiful... just some more of that "fair and balanced" stuff.

You will have a good time on your vacation at BMB. Don't get too crazy regarding all this as then it will spoil your vacation.

Leave all the "fighting" and "bickering" to idiots like me and ecopal. ;-)

Sorry Kurt... did I just break the law again? :D

Respectfully,
BMBV

Vagrant, we have been staying at the same house for more than 10 years for an average of two weeks per year, so I am probably as familiar with the areas as you are. As long as the seawall work at the house where we are staying is complete, I can pretty much deal with anything else. But we will have an 11-month-old with us. Do you honestly think this area is safe for a toddler right now? I can just see us having to haul him up to Sacred Heart because he stepped on some piece of debris left behind by an irresponsible owner or not-give-a-crap seawall contractor.

Considering the investment, and the safety issue, I think my concerns (and anger) are well-founded.