• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
The first attack was reported as a bull shark - uncertain about the second one. One thing is if the reports are true and the second one hit a femoral artery - he will be lucky if he doesn't bleed to death - it only takes seconds for that to happen.

Hopefully the boy will recover.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Re: What's the local latest?????

I am very saddened by the two shark attacks and my heart goes out to the families and I hope the boy pulls through. The recent attack, by the way, is not in Walton or SoWal County (though it's still a bit scary). I will be coming there with two children in a few weeks and again in August, November, January, February, April and as often as I can.

The shark attacks don't at all change my interest (I love it on 30A which is why we own property there and visit as often as we can) and it doesn't change my behavior (we've been here two years and our children haven't gone more than 10 - 20 feet from shore, and we really haven't either). We go to the beach to be near the ocean, wade in the water close to shore, build sandcastles, play soccer on the beach, read, watch sunsets, and spend time together (or quietly alone especially for early morning tea and a good book before everyone else wakes up) in one of the most beautiful places we've ever been. We swim and fool around in the pool. And then we go out to eat, to outdoor movies, outdoor concerts, outdoor plays, shopping, etc. along 30A. So, these shark attacks certainly reinforce my concern about not going far into the ocean -- but they haven't changed my love for the area or my behavior or my family's behavior. We were already extra cautious. So, I'd say come to 30A and enjoy yourself and -- like everyone else has been reminded lately -- remember that the ocean is the natural habitat of a lot of sealife, some of it dangerous to humans. It's certainly humbling for me, but not a deterrant at all. I love the area and so does my family.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
This may ruffle some feathers, but I think the beaches from PC to PCB have had a free ride on beach safety. In areas with large concentrations of people, the flag system is inadequate to help knuckleheads, people caught in rip currents, and unsupervised children. I spent most of my summers as a youth on the beach in Daytona Beach. Were you to venture too far out, the lifeguard would stand in his/her chair, point the flag at you, blow the whistle and make sure you came in. Were you to ignore the whistle, you would suffer the embarssment of a forced "resue". No one swam or floated 100-250 yards out, except surfers. I saw dozens saved that were in rip currents, and many kept in check from danger. Clearly, Walton County has not had a shark attack most likely because, heretofore, not many folks have been in the water at any one time, and you can generally see better in the clear Gulf waters. I cannot help but think that had a lifeguard noticed this girl that far out, we would have had no attack here. The counties involved here need to spend money to protect the public. I thought this would happen awhile back when there were multiple rip current drownings.

Last edited:
Off topic, but this is one awesome pic!

sigpic.jpg

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
chikida said:
My understanding is when you see baitfish in the water thats where you want to cast your line! Special thanks to smiling Joe for the local update. I'll look for you on the beach next week to touch base. I try to get up around sunrise every morning to keep my shiny side up! Any chance that you know or talk to Edmund? He's at Grayton every morning without fail unless the weather is bad or if he's out of town. I'm an old friend of his.
I'll be around so maybe I will bump into you. I don't know Edmund. Maybe I will meet him one day too.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
chikida said:
It just hit the airwaves here in Atlanta. Crap! I've got to remember to bring the "shark-be-gone" repelent.
I use a brand called "Stay on the Beach."

By the way, Bull Sharks can be found in the Bay and I hear they love the Intercoastal. Bull Sharks are also capable of living in the lakes, like Western Lake, where the water is opened to the Gulf on occasion.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Re: What's the local latest?????

dustyrider said:
Hello !! all you So. Wal Beach folks, what is the local word on the new attack. Are they going to close the beaches? We are coming down 7-23-7-30 and maybe reconsidering now. It kind of takes the fun out knowing you may not be able to go into the water.
Kurt whats the news you know? I found this board looking for info on this area and I love it!!!Kurt you give such great info for the nonlocals. :welcome: Great web site and pics!! It's great to know these types of boards are available KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AND TO ALL WHO HELP SUPPORT THE BOARD!!!! :clap_1: I feel like I already know the place.I guess we'll just wait and see

Thanks! :love: :blush:

I've been in Pcola Beach all day so I need to catch up. I'm merging all the shark info into one thread.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Landlocked said:
I'm wondering if this kid had the shark hooked. If you're fishing in "chest high" water, you don't know what you've hooked. I'm just saying....
Wonder if he was fishing for sharks. The attack was off Cape San Blas. I know many people who fish for sharks in that area. Go to the pier at Mexico Beach around 11:00pm and you will see them realing in Black Tips fairly often.
If you remember back to the boy who was attacked in Pensacola a few years ago, he was fishing for sharks when he was bitten. NUMBER 1 RULE: When fishing for sharks, get out of the water. :dunno:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
lollygal said:
Obviously there is something going on with the sharks. Wish they would move the heck out of the area!
A friend of mine who works at a tall building in Destin, says that he sees sharks swimming up the beach all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.