• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
When you send out an email canceling a public forum and state "one of the candidates complained" it gets a lot of attention very fast.

"Thanks to one of the BCC candidates complaining that I would be at the
candidate forum we are cancelling the political forum.

I am sorry that someone so petty has caused us to not have a forum that would be beneficial not only to you as voters but the candidates
as well."

I'm not a member of the DBPA and the email sent by Sara was forwarded to me 8 minutes after it was sent.

"Politics in Walton County is a full contact sport."

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I don't really blame him. Lord knows every other person is salivating waiting to file an ethics complaint. For that matter it does save money as we all know ethics complaints wind up being a fine against the tax payers since the investigation and "prosecution" usually outweigh the pittance of a fine that is levied.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Ethics commission fines are levied against the official in violation and are not paid for with taxpayer dollars. That's the reason they fear the complaint. They can't send the taxpayer the bill for the violation or for their legal fees.

In reality few just don't pay and after 4 years they are dropped if unpaid.

The major deterrent is the public perception that they carry.

Last edited:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Bob, sorry I wasn't clear. I meant the cost of the investigation and the prosecution usually out weighs the actual fine.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
Pridgen is a member of the Republican good old boy/girl machine so he's not getting my vote. I guess Glidewell is my pick. BTW, what happened to the Brawlers Board?

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
I don't really blame him. Lord knows every other person is salivating waiting to file an ethics complaint. For that matter it does save money as we all know ethics complaints wind up being a fine against the tax payers since the investigation and "prosecution" usually outweigh the pittance of a fine that is levied.

Filing an ethics complaint in the state of Florida is like peeing into the wind. The Ethics Commission, Elections Commission and the Sunshine Law are jokes.