• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Dear Bob:

The only legal issue is that if Commissioner Comander is the sponsor of the event (or the officer of the organization that sponsors the events) or participates, there is an informal AG opinion that in those circumstances, the meeting would be subject to Section 286.011, Florida Statutes. Thus, if those factual issues can be avoided, then, there would not be a Sunshine law/public meetings issue.

Mark.

Mark D. Davis

County Attorney

Office Of The County Attorney

161 East Sloss Avenue

DeFuniak Springs, FL 32433

Telephone (850) 892-8110

Facsimile (850) 892-8471

Please note: Florida has a very broad public records law. You should note that most written communications to or from county officials regarding county business are public records that are available to the public and media upon request. Your e-mail communications may therefore be subject to public disclosure.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I don't understand the issue. It is a public event, so it shouldn't matter if more than one commissioner attends.

And if someone asks a question that is inappropriate, why can't they just not answer and give a reason why?

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Seems like I might have pegged this one.

Now that's a shocker...all this drama and many knew (you included I'm sure) who it was.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
UPDATE

The WCTA offered to host the forum with Art Dees as the moderator.

I was notified that the North Walton Republican Club will host a forum on the same day, same place.

Im sure more details of moderator etc will be forth coming from the NWRC.

Hopefully there is a lesson for all involved in this debacle. "Transparency is key to public trust"

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Now that's a shocker...all this drama and many knew (you included I'm sure) who it was.
But mine was based on what I perceived as a sunshine issue and not because of some issue of gamesmanship. Second of all it may not have been Mr Pridgen because anyone could have called the attorney and asked if this may have been an issue, and finally why would Mr Pridgen want to cancel seeing as him and Ms Comander had a lot of money come from the same folks. It appears that Ms Comander decided to cancel it for the reasons she stated for the reason Mr Davis gave. Just my opinion.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Getting Close

Dear Bob: Didn’t get a name. Was asked for a legal opinion from Commissioner Pridgen about the event. Did some quick research and gave verbal opinion to Commissioner Comander.

Mark Davis
County Attorney

Didn't get a Name???

How does seeking a legal opinion turn into a mystery nameless "ethics complaint" threat?

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Kenneth Pridgens Response

Bob,

I certainly didn’t suggest or request that the DBPA political forum be cancelled. I did have concerns regarding my participation given that another sitting Commissioner was President of the organization sponsoring the event.

I spoke with Mark regarding those concerns and decided that it would be in my best interest, to assure there wasn’t even the appearance of a sunshine violation, that I not participate. I’m not sure how or who made the decision to cancel the event.

If this event is rescheduled by another organization, I would be happy to participate.

Thanks,
Kenneth

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
Interesting that Misty says until yesterday she was all for an appointed superintendent. From her many posts, I understood her to be ambivalent about the issue at best.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
smart!

Kenneth Pridgens Response

Bob,

I certainly didn’t suggest or request that the DBPA political forum be cancelled. I did have concerns regarding my participation given that another sitting Commissioner was President of the organization sponsoring the event.

I spoke with Mark regarding those concerns and decided that it would be in my best interest, to assure there wasn’t even the appearance of a sunshine violation, that I not participate. I’m not sure how or who made the decision to cancel the event.

If this event is rescheduled by another organization, I would be happy to participate.

Thanks,
Kenneth

So the issue was with protecting the county from yet another FSS 119 issue. How many law suits do we have?

Exactly what Mr Pridgen was elected to do!

Kudos to you.

I am now re-evaluating the situation...

Why would a conversation with the county attorney (also elected school board member) get out in public so fast?

:-(